Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New C7 Stingray 1LT or 2006 C6 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:19 AM
Nucleartiger
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New C7 Stingray 1LT or 2006 C6 Z06?

I would like to get everyone's opinion on which they would buy and why.

I have the opportunity to get an 06 Z06 with <5000 miles on it now or wait a year (roughly) and get a base C7 stingray. What would you guys do? Has anyone driven both or owned both? I really like the exterior of the C6 more than the C7 but I like the C7 interior more. I haven't driven a C7 yet but I absolutely loved the Engine sound in the Z06. Does the the C7 have that same sound or is it more muted?

I tried searching the forum and multiple places online but haven't found much in the way comparing these two particular cars.

Thanks for any and all answers that I can get.

I have also posted this same question in the C7 area. So far they all say C7.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:25 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So many variables here, if it is any indication, I would take a C5 Z06 over a base C6.

That said, considering the 2006 you mention is 10 years old now, I'd probably just tell you to get into a C7 if you can swing it financially just for warranty reasons since you seem new to corvettes in general.

Last edited by Rock36; 04-11-2016 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:42 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

First things first, drive both cars. Next thing, what is the purpose of the car? How much money do you want to spend? Do you want to spend more now and monthly or do you want more of your money to go into mods?

I'd choose the C7 (assuming money were no issue) for these reasons:

-Want a daily driver
-Want as comfortable ride as possible
-Do not want to mod the car extensively (has a warranty)
-Want to stay relevant with auto technology
-Well-balanced and refined as possible

I'd get the C6Z if:

-Planning to be a weekend toy
-Planning to mod extensively
-Want to track the car
-Want uniqueness (427 engine)
-Want a visceral, less refined experience
Old 04-11-2016, 10:22 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,605 Likes on 2,174 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Get the 06 Z06 with less than 5,000 miles if it's priced right. Why wait a full year to drive a Corvette? Drive it for a year and then re-assess. I have had my 06 Z since it had 2,500 miles on it and love the car. Love the way the 427 pulls and sounds. I like the C7 but the base car does not pull like the C6 Z06. It doesn't sound as good IMO. I don't even like the interior of the C7. Nice materials, but it's too confining and lacking in luggage space. I like to travel in the car.

If you buy new, you will be on a very steep depreciation curve. Get the Z and enjoy the next year
Old 04-11-2016, 10:31 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
First things first, drive both cars. Next thing, what is the purpose of the car? How much money do you want to spend? Do you want to spend more now and monthly or do you want more of your money to go into mods?

-Want a daily driver

I'd get the C6Z if:

-Want to track the car
That is spot on as I was in the same position about a month ago and choose the C6 Z.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:18 PM
Nucleartiger
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-Want a daily driver

I'd get the C6Z if:

-Want to track the car
I am right in the middle of those. I ride my motorcycle year round but the car would not be just used on the weekends. It would be my daily driver when I don't ride my motorcycle so having a nice ride would be great but I wouldn't need it to be the greatest ride ever. I want the new technology but the loved the less refined roar of the engine in the C6 Z06. So you can see why I am questioning what I want to get so much.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:24 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nucleartiger
I am right in the middle of those. I ride my motorcycle year round but the car would not be just used on the weekends. It would be my daily driver when I don't ride my motorcycle so having a nice ride would be great but I wouldn't need it to be the greatest ride ever. I want the new technology but the loved the less refined roar of the engine in the C6 Z06. So you can see why I am questioning what I want to get so much.
In that case, get the C6 Z, fix the heads ONLY - don't cam the car. Put an intake and headers on it and enjoy the car for many, many years to come and spend quite a bit less in the long run. You could put down $3-5K to purchase, and another $4K for the mods listed, installed and you are good to go with 480+whp, high 10's capable street car.

Either way, please use the bank's money instead of your own on either car. Cars are not investments (I'm sure you know this already) and should be something we buy to enjoy. The C6 Z, if not modded extensively, will give back probably 80% of what you have in it in the end should you decide to sell it.

You need to buy a car with selling it in mind - even if you plan to let it rot in your garage. So with that said, the older, already maturely depreciated vehicle is the smarter buy.

The car is remarkably easy to drive in stock form and with the right H/C, it is still an easy drive for most people. It is quite comfortable, IMO with the exception of getting in and out of the car. However, this is also an issue with the C7 so we can't consider that a strike against the C6Z alone.

Last edited by fueledpassion; 04-11-2016 at 12:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (04-12-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Too-Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 798 Likes on 540 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

-Want a daily driver

I'd get the C6Z if:

-Want to track the car

I agree with the above, but from my perspective it is not even close...C6Z06 all day long!
Old 04-11-2016, 04:34 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Too-Fast

I agree with the above, but from my perspective it is not even close...C6Z06 all day long!
I've never driven a C7, so I hesitate for good reason to recommend the C6Z unanimously.

I have sat in one before and I really liked the feel of the car. It really just felt like a more ergonomically-built C5/6. The smell. The steering feel. The body position and overall "feel" of sitting in the car I felt did not lose any of the positive attributes of the C5/6 gen Corvettes. It immediately brought back memories of my first Vette, a drop-top C5 M6. I'm quite certain the car would perform to my standard and some but comes with a less financially sound price point. This is the sticking point, I believe. The older Vettes will always be the better overall deal than the new ones as long as Corvette continues to make cars several cuts above their comparably-priced competition.

The folks that buy the new models aren't doing so with any financial investment considerations. The only time it makes sense to buy a new car as a financially-sound option is when you are purchasing a limited-production car, such as the 427 Vert. When I say limited, I mean a few hundred. The ZR-1 is a great example. You could have bought the new 2009 one for $100-120K. Or you could have waited until 2015 and bought a lightly modded one sitting at 750rwhp for $65K...

Last edited by fueledpassion; 04-11-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Too-Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 798 Likes on 540 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've never driven a C7, so I hesitate for good reason to recommend the C6Z unanimously.

I have sat in one before and I really liked the feel of the car. It really just felt like a more ergonomically-built C5/6. The smell. The steering feel. The body position and overall "feel" of sitting in the car I felt did not lose any of the positive attributes of the C5/6 gen Corvettes. It immediately brought back memories of my first Vette, a drop-top C5 M6. I'm quite certain the car would perform to my standard and some but comes with a less financially sound price point. This is the sticking point, I believe. The older Vettes will always be the better overall deal than the new ones as long as Corvette continues to make cars several cuts above their comparably-priced competition.

The folks that buy the new models aren't doing so with any financial investment considerations. The only time it makes sense to buy a new car as a financially-sound option is when you are purchasing a limited-production car, such as the 427 Vert. When I say limited, I mean a few hundred. The ZR-1 is a great example. You could have bought the new 2009 one for $100-120K. Or you could have waited until 2015 and bought a lightly modded one sitting at 750rwhp for $65K...
Not to split hairs, but if you are referring to the C6 427 vert, there were a few thousand of those built. In regard to the ZR1, it will be a collector car, no doubt about it, just because of what it is, the relative value now will have no bearing. My 2011 Z07 is one of 288 built in 2011, being an IO car it is more rare. I cannot argue your perspective, mine is that there is no way I would trade a limited production, very fast, very hot car for a run of the mill, multi-thousand production one.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:03 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
Not to split hairs, but if you are referring to the C6 427 vert, there were a few thousand of those built. In regard to the ZR1, it will be a collector car, no doubt about it, just because of what it is, the relative value now will have no bearing. My 2011 Z07 is one of 288 built in 2011, being an IO car it is more rare. I cannot argue your perspective, mine is that there is no way I would trade a limited production, very fast, very hot car for a run of the mill, multi-thousand production one.
I thought there were fewer than that. The car doesn't seem to be budging much in value, which is why I used it as an example in the first place.

The whole point was not around that actual rarity of the car but around the depreciation rate of the car. While I see your point, the heart of my message doesn't change. There are very few examples where it is a financial investment to buy a new car. Even the rare ones need to be bought a few years later.

Last edited by fueledpassion; 04-11-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:07 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I asked the very same question a month or so ago in both the C6Z06 section and the C7 section. Hands down, replies were the Z06. You won't regret it.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:48 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

I had both. High speed stability is much better in the C7Z51.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,001 Likes on 5,368 Posts

The C7 is a better car overall. The performance is on a par with the C6Z. HP and Torque Curves are identical through 4K rpm so other than the extra 200 lbs of weight in the C7 you really won't see much difference in the stop light gran prix. If you get more than the Z51 and Mag Ride then you will have a car that will probably out corner the C6Z which means it becomes a real horse race between the two on a road course. As somebody pointed out the C6Z is a 10 year old car. One of the problems with cars older than 10 years (some times less than that) is the manufacturer stops providing parts support. If demand is low for certain parts or the supplier obsoletes them you can have a tough time keeping a car running.

Bill
Old 04-11-2016, 09:27 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by motomanvette
I had both. High speed stability is much better in the C7Z51.

Factors depend on a blanket statement like that bud. My 08 Z has front GM ZR1 splitter and skirts.. Nothing else, lowered 1/2".. 3 year old PS2 and it sticks like super glue to the pavement with one hand on the wheel.. oh yeah speeds I can't say...faster than 40mph.

Been in a Z51 c7 at speed... My buddy's C6Z doesn't have skirts or splitter... huge difference in high speed stability and stick, straight or on the curves.Would never remove mine for those reasons! JMO

Last edited by REDZED2; 04-11-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:17 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Get the C6Z now & drive it for a year. If you buy right, you won't lose any $, or very little, and may even make $. Then sell it for the C7 if you still want one, but if I were C7. It would have to be at least a 2LT w/Z51 & already be modded.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:19 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The C7 is a better car overall. The performance is on a par with the C6Z. HP and Torque Curves are identical through 4K rpm so other than the extra 200 lbs of weight in the C7 you really won't see much difference in the stop light gran prix. If you get more than the Z51 and Mag Ride then you will have a car that will probably out corner the C6Z which means it becomes a real horse race between the two on a road course. As somebody pointed out the C6Z is a 10 year old car. One of the problems with cars older than 10 years (some times less than that) is the manufacturer stops providing parts support. If demand is low for certain parts or the supplier obsoletes them you can have a tough time keeping a car running.

Bill
How does a H/C/I/E & tune C6Z fair against a C7 (Non-Z) with the same mods in a straight line?

Last edited by Never-Enough; 04-11-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New C7 Stingray 1LT or 2006 C6 Z06?

Old 04-11-2016, 11:31 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
How does a H/C/I/E & tune C6Z fair against a C7 (Non-Z) with the same mods in a straight line?
15 car lengths to 150 mph I bet. Still money left over if buying a new C7 coupe. (modded for modded) even with a low miles C6Z.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:01 AM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Now that I've had a Z, I think I'm forever desensitized. I will never want a base car. I think Z cars trump the base cars regardless of generation. Obviously I'm not talking performance alone. There is resale value, rarity, styling, etc. So this is what I would drive:

C4 ZR1 over base C5
C5Z over base C6
C6Z over C7
C7Z over C8?
Old 04-12-2016, 07:42 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
Now that I've had a Z, I think I'm forever desensitized. I will never want a base car. I think Z cars trump the base cars regardless of generation. Obviously I'm not talking performance alone. There is resale value, rarity, styling, etc. So this is what I would drive:

C4 ZR1 over base C5
C5Z over base C6
C6Z over C7
C7Z over C8?
Kinda like Porsche Boxter vs. 996TT, lol. Two different kinds of people driving those cars.

Quick Reply: [Z06] New C7 Stingray 1LT or 2006 C6 Z06?