Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] dreaded reverse problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 04:17 AM
mtomlin1
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default dreaded reverse problem

I still have this issue with reverse, where you just cant push up.

if you go 3/4 reverse it goes in normally easily, but its starting to really annoy me.

also if the engines off it goes in straight away.

its not the lock out as you can move it all the way across just cannot push forward to get into Reverse.

would it be the synchro?
Old 04-24-2016, 10:58 AM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

Pretty sure reverse doesn't have a synchro. Try shifting into first then reverse and see if it goes in easier. If not the gear itself might be getting chewed up but I'd have to say I've never really heard of that being a problem. Maybe flush out the clutch fluid? Shifts easier with fresh fluid.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:18 AM
mtomlin1
Racer

Originally Posted by racerx3317
Pretty sure reverse doesn't have a synchro. Try shifting into first then reverse and see if it goes in easier. If not the gear itself might be getting chewed up but I'd have to say I've never really heard of that being a problem. Maybe flush out the clutch fluid? Shifts easier with fresh fluid.
Been there done that

Replaced clutch and fluid recently

Reverse does have a synchro , have been told that the reverse synchro keys break or something so looking down that route now.

Yeah it shifts into reverse if you go 1st or 3rd then reverse but it's still not perfect so something has to be wrong.

I'll tear it apart and have a look inside
Old 04-24-2016, 05:09 PM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mtomlin1
Been there done that

Reverse does have a synchro , have been told that the reverse synchro keys break or something so looking down that route now.

Yeah it shifts into reverse if you go 1st or 3rd then reverse but it's still not perfect so something has to be wrong.

I had a C5 with similar problem years ago, prev owner told me it was a bent shift fork. Never fixed it since I sold the car for different reason
Old 04-24-2016, 06:33 PM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by mtomlin1
Been there done that

You're right, the 6060 does have a reverse synchro. It's the T56 that doesn't. In that case it's more than likely the synchro being that you changed out the clutch and the fluid. Sucks.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:50 AM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

T56 also has a reverse synchro.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:58 PM
mtomlin1
Racer

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
T56 also has a reverse synchro.
Yeah I have priced up the repair

Just going to order reverse synchro assembly they recon the reverse synchro key is broken and I should replace it with billet steel ones.

Also change out some other bite to make it right

Www.thegearbox.org have been very helpful
Old 04-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Twinscrew
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What kind of clutch?
Old 04-25-2016, 10:29 PM
mtomlin1
Racer

Monster lt1. Sc but had same problem with stock clutch
Old 04-26-2016, 08:48 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Both my C5s would inteermittently tend not to go into 1st or reverse. The problem is internal to the transmission because the gears are not lining up correctly and new clutch fluid will not solve it. My solution to the problem was to press the shifter into the gate and hold it there when it stopped moving and then very slowly let the clutch out. When the drive shaft started to turn the shifter would slide forward into gear (if you don't hold the shifter into position you get a loud grinding and the shifter pops out) and I would push the clutch back in. After a couple of weeks it became second nature and every time I pulled up to a stop I would do it to get into first and when ever I parked or needed to back up I would do it for reverse. Never had another issue after doing that. Never took either car in to have them fixed because it was just the nature of the beast. Put lots of hard miles on both cars with out having any other transmission issues.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To dreaded reverse problem

Quick Reply: [Z06] dreaded reverse problem