Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] MGW Shifter observations

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:51 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I missed this discussion the first time around. A couple years ago I drove a C5 Z06 with MGW shifter (not my car, so I can't speak to install/lower box) and I had no confidence in finding the right gear. It was notchy and stiff, not to mention buzzy. I didn't like it at all. Over a year ago, after seeing really good reviews on them, I bought a Hinson shifter. Night and day between that and the MGW. It took awhile to break in so the springs would relax a bit, but after that the shifts were short, clean and precise. The 2-3 shift is very quick. They said it wasn't buzzy and that is simply not the case, although it's not as loud as the MGW was. At least it's only noisy under hard throttle, and that's not enough to offset the benefit of quickness and precision. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:11 PM
NOrrTH
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought an '09 Z with 3k miles on it and was having a bit of trouble with the shifter. Then I took it in for its oil change and had them do the clutch fluid as well. What a difference that made!

Make sure your clutch fluid is clean.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:43 PM
sabersaw30
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
I missed this discussion the first time around. A couple years ago I drove a C5 Z06 with MGW shifter (not my car, so I can't speak to install/lower box) and I had no confidence in finding the right gear. It was notchy and stiff, not to mention buzzy. I didn't like it at all. Over a year ago, after seeing really good reviews on them, I bought a Hinson shifter. Night and day between that and the MGW. It took awhile to break in so the springs would relax a bit, but after that the shifts were short, clean and precise. The 2-3 shift is very quick. They said it wasn't buzzy and that is simply not the case, although it's not as loud as the MGW was. At least it's only noisy under hard throttle, and that's not enough to offset the benefit of quickness and precision. Just my 2 cents.
Good to know i just bought a Hinson! Havent installed it yet.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:44 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by sabersaw30
Good to know i just bought a Hinson! Havent installed it yet.
Congrats- I think you'll enjoy it. To break in the springs, they told me to leave it in 1st gear or reverse after parking the car, so I alternated between the two. Once the tension relaxes a bit, life will be very good.

Almost forgot- if you're doing the installation yourself, Hinson may have a video out by now for our gen. When I bought mine they said they were still working on the video but it wasn't done yet. I hit Youtube and found a video showing the MGW shifter being installed in a C6 Z06 which showed how to disassemble the console area. Once that's apart you can work from the Hinson instructions provided with the shifter. Good luck.

Last edited by Les; 03-03-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:23 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 736 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
I have over 22,000 miles on my MGW and I have never missed a shift. The stock unit i was constantly missing 3rd. Maybe your install needs tweaking because it should be a more positive feel not less.
Stock unit (P.O.S.) was constantly missing 3rd gear at WOT. I installed the MGW shifter, no more missing 3rd gear and with more positive feel. Earlier MGW shifters did not come with the lower shifter box. MGW now sells them together. Even without the lower shifter box, shifting was improved. Together, shifting will be further improved!

Note to the OP: There is an alignment procedure for the lower shifter box to be in neutral position before installing the shifter onto the shifter box. If not done properly, shifting will be misaligned. See MGW website for video instructions.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 03-07-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:25 PM
butch353
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

put an mgw in the 09 z06 first week had problems then pulled the handle an tightened the shifter to rod as tight as i could without stripping the allen wrench . it came alive an lets me bang geares that younger friends of my son shake their heads at. used to be a Hurst guy from 67 until 15 now a firm belivier in MGW s INSTALL IT RIGHT IT WILL TREAT YOU RIGHT. grab it tap the clutch an MOVE. JD
Old 03-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

c7 shifter. SOOOOOOOOOO nice. Way better than MGW. Finally got to drive one and I by FAR perfer the c7 shifter in a c5/c6.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:44 PM
RyanT
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Anybody have the part # for the C7 shifter?

Thanks!

Ryan
Old 03-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I have read several times that the shifter assembly was one of the very few parts that was actually carried over from the C6. If that is true, you will find the part numbers to be the same, and the shifters and boxes themselves also to be the same from C6 to C7

Last edited by Frankie2blue; 03-10-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:42 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
I have read several times that the shifter assembly was one of the very few parts that was actually carried over from the C6. If that is true, you will find the part numbers to be the same, and the shifters and boxes themselves also to be the same from C6 to C7
This would explain why when I drove a C7Z I though the shifter felt sloppy in comparison to my MGW. I think this whole thing is more about personal preference.

I can't hit flat foot shifts at 7k rpm with a stock shifter. It just wont happen and is sloppy. Running the MGW, I have yet to blow a shift.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:48 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 922 Likes on 578 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
C6 & C7 shifters are both part no. 2427-9574.

Quick Reply: [Z06] MGW Shifter observations