Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New Monster Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 07:13 PM
zuli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Monster Clutch

I just installed monster LT1 clutch they say clutch has 500 miles break in period with multiples depression of clutch pedal with no high rpm releases Has anyone done the break in how important is it ? Also I hear a lot of noise idling in neutral it goes away when pedal depressed. This clutch is strictly a gm clutch I wouldn't expect gm would allow all that noise Some opinions appreciated
Old 06-29-2016, 10:20 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

I believe on Monsters website they gave this clutch 3 out of 5 on clutch noise at idle. Most twin disc clutches have slight to moderate noise at idle. Break in on a new clutch is crucial.
The following users liked this post:
zuli (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 11:29 AM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Break in is important...Don't shortcut it. Doesn't mean you can't beat on the car a little, but don't go too crazy.

As for the noise...the clutch isn't actually making noise. The noise is coming from the transmission gears rattling. The clutch disks don't have damper springs in them, like the stock clutch does, which suppress this noise significantly. If you bump your idle speed a bit, it should get rid of the noise. My car idles at 950 rpm due to my cam, and there is no noise. Does your car have a larger than stock cam in it? What is your idle speed?
zuli (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 03:08 PM
zuli
Racer

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
Break in is important...Don't shortcut it. Doesn't mean you can't beat on the car a little, but don't go too crazy.

As for the noise...the clutch isn't actually making noise. The noise is coming from the transmission gears rattling. The clutch disks don't have damper springs in them, like the stock clutch does, which suppress this noise significantly. If you bump your idle speed a bit, it should get rid of the noise. My car idles at 950 rpm due to my cam, and there is no noise. Does your car have a larger than stock cam in it? What is your idle speed?
My car is bone stock, idle is at 650rpms noise gets less at 950rpms This is a stock C7 clutch does the C7 have clutch noise too? I can't see gm putting in an noisy clutch where people would complain.

Last edited by zuli; 06-30-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:36 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Originally Posted by zuli
My car is bone stock, idle is at 650rpms noise gets less at 950rpms This is a stock C7 clutch does the C7 have clutch noise too? I can't see gm putting in an noisy clutch where people would complain.
Again, the clutch itself isn't making any noise. It is the transmission gears, due to the low idle speed. The noise gets transmitted through the torque tube and into the cabin.

In the C7, there is a heavy dual mass flywheel (not the lighter solid 1 piece you get from Monster), that absorbs the small variations in crankshaft speed, caused by the individual cylinders firing. It is these un-dampened variations in crankshaft speed that cause the transmission gears to rattle, as they go from loaded to unloaded many times a second.

I would raise the idle speed to about 850rpm, in the tune.
zuli (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 10:26 PM
zuli
Racer

If nothing is wrong then I just leave it alone and live with the noise
Old 06-30-2016, 11:05 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

It's my understanding the LT1 clutch Monster sells is modified from stock which is why it can hold 700 RWHP in S trim or over 1000 in SC trim.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:18 PM
zuli
Racer

Originally Posted by zuli
I just installed monster LT1 clutch they say clutch has 500 miles break in period with multiples depression of clutch pedal with no high rpm releases Has anyone done the break in how important is it ? Also I hear a lot of noise idling in neutral it goes away when pedal depressed. This clutch is strictly a gm clutch I wouldn't expect gm would allow all that noise Some opinions appreciated
As I break-in my new clutch the noise is not something I was expecting and something I don't like.

Last edited by zuli; 07-01-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:32 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

The LT1-S clutch disks and pressure plate are totally unmodified from stock. It is only the "conversion" flywheel that is different from stock, and doesn't change the holding power any.

Any undampened clutch can cause the transmission to make some noise. It doesn't matter the brand, it is just the nature of the best. Raise the idle speed and be done with it.
Javvy (07-02-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To New Monster Clutch

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Monster Clutch