Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Battery Replacement w/ out vent tube, ok???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 12:38 PM
Cbrymer54
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery Replacement w/ out vent tube, ok???

After spending the last hour searching through threads trying to find my answer (I hate starting new redundant threads), I couldn't find anything substantial on whether it's "ok" to use a replacement battery that doesn't have the vent tube. I have an 09 Z (batter in trunk) and needed to replace the stock battery. I was in a rush so I bought an Optima yellow top, seemed like a decent choice given I only drive it a few times a month. I got it swapped (that was fun) and only issues is no hook up for vent tube and the stock battery strap doesn't work. I can figure out a work around for the strap, but if anyone has any recommendations to save me some time, please share; but my biggest concern is the yellow top doesn't have a vent port. I read one thread saying this is to release dangerous gases (hydrogen) that is produced in small amounts; but how serious is this? I read several threads of guys saying they used a yellow top for replacement without mentioning this concern. Anyways, I want to leave the batter but don't want to be paranoid I'm turning my Z into a hydrogen bomb.....thanks in advance for any help and if there is a thread that I missed that addresses this, please point me in that direction.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:06 PM
mewalker2
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

The Optima Yellowtop D35 is what I've been running for 3.5yrs now. No vent and no strap since it fits pretty tight anyway. No problems so far.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:21 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I would just make a few holes in the compartment for any gases to escape. Just to be on the safe side.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:21 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Quickest thing I could find on Google:

Trunk/Interior Mounting – If your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment or trunk (common in many European makes), the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle. OPTIMA group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.

Other links do indicate that the Optima type will produce less hydrogen than a normal lead acid battery, but may produce some during heavy charging.

Your car, your choice.

Last edited by pkincy; 07-17-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:10 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

I am running an Optima with no issues of smell or anything funky with no vent. I keep the car on a float charger when I'm not driving it as well.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:53 AM
Cbrymer54
Advanced

Thanks all for the info, sounds like I'll be just fine with the way it is.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:46 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

The Optima batteries are dry cell AGM technology. You can turn them upside down and nothing would leak out. So IMHO, there is no need to be concerned about venting. It's a sealed battery. Advise if otherwise not correct as its been over 10 years since I owned a Red Top.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...FQ6PaQodieAJwg

Last edited by GOLD72; 07-19-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:19 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

The venting is for H2 formed during charging not fluids. So the dry cell isn't the issue. Optima does produce less Hydrogen than wet cell batteries however it does produce some in a high charge situation. Enough to blow up your car? Not likely, but at the cost of connecting a vent tube? I would connect it. I have heard that some of the new Optima's no longer are vented. In that case I would use a wet cell vented battery, but I am pretty conservative. Optima's are excellent batteries and in front engine mount situations I have used them often. This is my first boxed rear mount battery (the Z06) so I don't use them here.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:40 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

The Odyssey Battery (PN PC1200MJ) is what I will switch to when my OE battery needs to be replaced.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...y-battery.html
Old 08-21-2016, 01:33 PM
PARISICC
Advanced

subscribing.

how is everyone liking their optima batteries? everyone using a yellow-top? aside from mewalker2...

we have an odyssey in ours now but it started acting up about 2.5yrs into its lifespan. we don't drive the car a lot, which is likely the reason. the car is kept on a tender but these cars seem to beat the hell out of batteries. thinking of trying out an optima this time.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:35 PM
Cbrymer54
Advanced

Originally Posted by PARISICC
subscribing.

how is everyone liking their optima batteries? everyone using a yellow-top? aside from mewalker2...

we have an odyssey in ours now but it started acting up about 2.5yrs into its lifespan. we don't drive the car a lot, which is likely the reason. the car is kept on a tender but these cars seem to beat the hell out of batteries. thinking of trying out an optima this time.
So far great, but mine is only a couple months old. Even then, I've already gone 2-3 weeks without starting/driving and each time I fire it up, no problem whatsoever. The start is way stronger than my previous stock battery ever seemed to provide; could be all in my head but it does seem like it.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:12 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

I have no complaints for my Optima. Starts strong even after sitting for 3 or 4 weeks when I forget to install the tender.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:05 AM
Bobj54
1st Gear

Default Battery solutions

I got a battery for my Grand Sport rear compartment at Advance Auto Parts. Battery is about a half an inch taller, but still fits well with the factory strap bolts. The critical thing is the battery has one round vent port on each side. The Inboard vent needs to get plugged. And the outside-most vent that faces the right rear wheel should be attached to the vent tube. Just make sure you get a battery that has the vent hole(s.) The Autocraft Gold H5, 650 amp ( Advance’s OEM For my Z52 GS) that I got is perfect! It even has a handle on top which will make taking it out much easier than was the factory stock-battery! Yes, even with the handle folded down and the battery being a little bit taller, the battery floor door will still close completely. That battery is $159 before discounts or core exchange. =Cbrymer54;1592646031]After spending the last hour searching through threads trying to find my answer (I hate starting new redundant threads), I couldn't find anything substantial on whether it's "ok" to use a replacement battery that doesn't have the vent tube. I have an 09 Z (batter in trunk) and needed to replace the stock battery. I was in a rush so I bought an Optima yellow top, seemed like a decent choice given I only drive it a few times a month. I got it swapped (that was fun) and only issues is no hook up for vent tube and the stock battery strap doesn't work. I can figure out a work around for the strap, but if anyone has any recommendations to save me some time, please share; but my biggest concern is the yellow top doesn't have a vent port. I read one thread saying this is to release dangerous gases (hydrogen) that is produced in small amounts; but how serious is this? I read several threads of guys saying they used a yellow top for replacement without mentioning this concern. Anyways, I want to leave the batter but don't want to be paranoid I'm turning my Z into a hydrogen bomb.....thanks in advance for any help and if there is a thread that I missed that addresses this, please point me in that direction.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Bobj54; 02-15-2019 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 02-15-2019, 08:09 AM
Ernest
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Autozone has a direct replacement with vent tube.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:32 PM
Twinsen
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ernest
Autozone has a direct replacement with vent tube.
This couldn't be more wrong.

Autozone doesn't sell an ACDelco nor a Duracell with a vent.
Autozone doesn't sell a battery that fits in a z06.

Autozone told me my OEM battery was bad, and sold me a replacement battery that had no vent and that immediately tested bad by my mechanic. It lasted a couple months, and the replacement also tested bad. I went there today to get an ACDelco replacement, and their system tries to sell me one without a vent tube.

Autozone sucks and I'm extremely tired of reading BS like yours on the internet.

Last edited by Twinsen; 09-27-2020 at 06:33 PM. Reason: called out Ernest for lying
Old 09-27-2020, 09:30 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,287 Likes on 932 Posts

I got mine from Walmart. Vent and all.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:46 PM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinsen
This couldn't be more wrong.

Autozone doesn't sell an ACDelco nor a Duracell with a vent.
Autozone doesn't sell a battery that fits in a z06.

Autozone told me my OEM battery was bad, and sold me a replacement battery that had no vent and that immediately tested bad by my mechanic. It lasted a couple months, and the replacement also tested bad. I went there today to get an ACDelco replacement, and their system tries to sell me one without a vent tube.

Autozone sucks and I'm extremely tired of reading BS like yours on the internet.
signed up and waited four years to post this.... epic

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Replacement w/ out vent tube, ok???

Old 09-28-2020, 07:32 AM
Ernest
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I received an exact fit from Autozone. I never said ACDELCO. with a vent. And it fit exactly. Take a chill pill. Too old for the bullshit.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:43 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

I've use an Odyssey battery in my '12 Z06 for a number of years. I think they are a better quality and a better-designed product than the Optima, but Optima has a lot of performance battery maker beat with marketing which is understandable since Optima is a brand of Johnson Controls a worldwide suppler of batteries to OEs and the aftermarket with a marketing budget which dwarfs that of smaller battery vendors. Because of its great marketing, Optima has developed a big following even thbought he batteries themselves are not all that great. I know. A number of years ago I had Optimas installed in my '71 BB Coupe. After two of them failed prematurely, I looked for another brand.

Odysseys sold in North America are all US-made in Missouri. I am not sure where all the various colors of Optimas are made, but I suspect it's not in the U.S.

Ther Odyssey which fits C6 ZO6es and ZR1s, is the 96R-600 and, since it's a BCA Group 96R battery, it has a connection for a vent hose, even though the Odyssey design doesn't require it. Odyssey includes the appropriate 90° elbow you push into the battery top and, since the Odyssey has vent holes on either side, a plug for the other, unused hole. You push the 90° elbow into the appropriate vent hole then push the plug into the other hole.

In the case of batteries without vent hose connections, if they are a sealed, AGM design, they likley don't even need a vent hose.

Lastly, for those who feel they want to vent the battery compartment because a battery does not have a vent hose connection, it was suggested above to make some holes in the battery compartment wall to proviide venting. I'd be hesitant to do that because it may end up with a battery compartment that leaks if the car is driven in the rain.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:00 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
The Optima batteries are dry cell AGM technology. You can turn them upside down and nothing would leak out. So IMHO, there is no need to be concerned about venting. It's a sealed battery. Advise if otherwise not correct as its been over 10 years since I owned a Red Top.

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...FQ6PaQodieAJwg
We should note that, neither the Optima nor the Odyssey are "dry-cell" AGM batteries. AGM means "absorbant glass mat". AGM batteries are neither dry cell nor "wet cell" batteries. The electrolyte is "soaked" into a glass mat material...sort of like sponge. If you just hold a wet sponge, water doesn't drip out but if you squeeze it, water comes out. The electrolye is absobed into and held by the glass mat, such that there is not liquid acid sloshing a round in the battery case and thus no electrolyte to leak out.

I don't have information on what mounting orientations are allowed with Optimas but an Odyssey can be mounted upright, on its side or on its end but NOT inverted.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Battery Replacement w/ out vent tube, ok???