Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help! Dealer overfilled my '08 Z06 (11Quarts of oil!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 11:55 PM
Killjoy7
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Dealer overfilled my '08 Z06 (11Quarts of oil!)

Hi guys,

New Z owner here and could use some advice. I just purchased an '08 Z06 with 14k miles today and in the course of inspecting it, i noticed a bunch of oil on the bottom of the sump where the drain plugs are. It turns out the gentleman I bought it from had taken it to the dealer for an oil change and they filled it with 11qts of oil! Said it right on the dealer invoice. crap. I had flown down to buy and drive the car back. The owner had not noticed anything and had driven the car about 200 miles already without noticing anything wrong. He even got it smogged during that time.
Anyway, We drained the excess oil (did't look like 3 qt--maybe 1.5) and got the level back to the middle hole on the dipstick using the proper oil checking procedure. We cleaned up the oil and i drove the car 300 miles home with the agreement that I would have it checked out by a dealer here for any damage. The Z runs fine, no smoke or weird stuff. I jacked it up when i got home and no further oil was on the sump.

Do you guys think any long term damage could have been done? I'm not familiar with the dry sump system but I'm trying to figure out where the oil on the bottom of the engine came from in the first place. is there a vent or overflow up there? could maybe a seal have blown out?

No new oil has leaked so it's a bit of a mystery. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

thanks
Old 08-04-2016, 05:07 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

They very well could have splashed oil from a drain pan after dropping the oil filter during removal. If you had blown a seal you would see oil still leaking. I am unsure if the engine could have been damaged in a way that would show up later in its life from this event. From what I am reading they usually smoke pretty bad after doing this and its from oil entering the intake manifold. It can cause severe damage but I would seem to think that if it were never smoking that no oil entered the manifold.

This is the exact reason that many of us change our own oil. Too many times you read this kind of story.

Last edited by User Omega; 08-04-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:46 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by User Omega
..................This is the exact reason that many of us change our own oil. Too many times you read this kind of story.
Anyone owning an 06 to 08 LS7 has to really be on guard for overfilling by others due to GM increasing the dry sump tank for MY2009 and later.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:54 AM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

Can you even put 11 quarts of oil in the fill hole during the change? I remember I over-filled mine once, and just had to wipe the tank clean and spray off the driveway. And I don't ever even buy more than 10 quarts at a time, because I get the 2 big 5 quart jugs, or sometimes buy 3 individual quarts to add up to 8.

Sounds crazy that you would even fit 11, unless the car was running?
Maybe they billed you from a manual that was for a later year, and didn't measure the actual fill.

I agree with USER OMEGA; probably harmless spillage.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:57 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

usually they underfill.....thats why I DIY oil changes 99% of the time...the rest I take to my buddy Joe at Powertech Performance...his guys know the differences between LS1 / LS3 / LS7 and the specifics for each year. If you insist on going to the dealer see if you can either provide the oil and filter or make sure they note what you need on the work order so as to not take chances.

Last edited by pewter99; 08-05-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Check the air filter and throttle body for oil. Probably not a bad idea to pull them for a cleaning either way.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Dealer overfilled my '08 Z06 (11Quarts of oil!)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help! Dealer overfilled my '08 Z06 (11Quarts of oil!)