Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Any City drivers: how hot does your Z06 run

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 02:18 AM
speedz06
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Any City drivers: how hot does your Z06 run

After trying the basic fixes I still have a pretty hot running Z at 240 degrees f in 80 degree ambient with a/c on but this is in Manhattan where the type of driving is considered severe duty for lack of a better word.
Highway is and always has been fine.

I have brand new dewitts and d3 fans so far.

Anyone care to let me know what is considered normal operating temps in heavy traffic for a Z06 C6 with or without eforce.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:49 AM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

My Z usually stays right around the 174 mark. A/C stays on down here. Ambient temps are hovering just under 100. Yesterday was 99 outside. H C I car. Dewitt with factory fans
The following users liked this post:
speedz06 (08-13-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 09:49 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

~180-185 with AC off. AC on 100-110 over ambient. So 110F outside, ~210-220. 100 outside 200-210.
speedz06 (08-13-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 10:05 AM
bgad
Safety Car

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

2 days ago I was driving around in the 101* temp, 108* Heat Index weather and I reached 225*+. I pulled into the store and filled up with gas. I decided to remove my front plate, which has a quick release function. When I returned to the road and continued driving, my temps promptly dropped and remained around 195*. So much for the plate not obstructing airflow.
The following 2 users liked this post by bgad:
Landru (08-12-2016), speedz06 (08-13-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 10:08 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

In traffic with AC on in 90 degree ambient temps I was seeing 210 or so this week.
speedz06 (08-13-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 10:18 AM
_BlueZ06_
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Driving Temps

It's been around 100-105F here and my temps are about 199-208 while moving slowly. Would get to about 219F while sitting in traffic, but fans would kick on and bring the temps back down.
speedz06 (08-13-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 11:35 AM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

in Boston mine runes a little over 220 while sitting in traffic with AC on
speedz06 (08-13-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 09:47 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Last Sunday from Syosset to Mt. Sinai I seen 198. Heated up a little on 83 going up Bald Hill. I had my Z in Manhattan only once. Never again. Toomuch. Your a better man than me I live next hamlet over . Sounds like your fans need to come on sooner...PM me

Clif

Last edited by z06clif; 08-12-2016 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Additiona
speedz06 (08-13-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 10:58 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I was stop-go traffic on I-95 in Maryland for 90 minutes 2 weeks ago. Actually 1st/2nd gear. The hottest the car got was 110 celsius (230 farenheit). Outside temp. was 94 degrees F.
The a/c was on as well.

Last edited by Brian71; 08-12-2016 at 11:02 PM.
speedz06 (08-13-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 11:18 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by _BlueZ06_
It's been around 100-105F here and my temps are about 199-208 while moving slowly. Would get to about 219F while sitting in traffic, but fans would kick on and bring the temps back down.
About what he said. I'm in Houston. Stock cooling system. H/C/I/E
speedz06 (08-13-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 02:41 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

South Florida here with about 94-96F during the day and 110F+ heat index. With my A/C on full blast in stop and go traffic the coolant temps usually stay between 190-205F.

240F seems too high to me. I would suggest you investigate the following.

-Check for any obstructions in front of the radiator such as a plastic bag or maybe caked on mud
-Check that you don't have a missing lower air dam under the front of the car that helps direct airflow up into the radiator.(This would usually cause elevated temps when the car is moving)
-Check that your fan shroud is sealing properly to the back of the radiator. If it is not, then the air draw that it is supposed to be pulling through the radiator is greatly reduced.
-Check that the aftermarket fan is rated for the same or greater airflow than OEM.
-Check that the coolant temp sensor and/or thermostat are working correctly.
-Check for air trapped in cooling system. I think I read you have an aftermarket radiator? Make sure that the system was correctly filled and air was "burped" out. And that the fan and shroud fit properly.
-Another thing that could also be the issue, but is not very likely, is a small head gasket failure between the piston and water jacket part of the gasket. This would allow super heated gasses to enter the cooling system and drive up temps but not enough to overheat the car. There is an easy test for this. Most shops will have a tool that can be used to measure for Carbon Monoxide gasses in the coolant system during operation.

Good Luck

Last edited by Internets_Ninja; 08-13-2016 at 02:41 PM.
speedz06 (04-18-2021)
Old 08-13-2016, 04:04 PM
speedz06
Drifting

Originally Posted by z06clif
Last Sunday from Syosset to Mt. Sinai I seen 198. Heated up a little on 83 going up Bald Hill. I had my Z in Manhattan only once. Never again. Toomuch. Your a better man than me I live next hamlet over . Sounds like your fans need to come on sooner...PM me

Clif
Thanks Zclif...thats my old stompin grounds!
Old 08-13-2016, 07:43 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
South Florida here with about 94-96F during the day and 110F+ heat index. With my A/C on full blast in stop and go traffic the coolant temps usually stay between 190-205F.

-Check for any obstructions in front of the radiator such as a plastic bag or maybe caked on mud
-Check that you don't have a missing lower air dam under the front of the car that helps direct airflow up into the radiator.(This would usually cause elevated temps when the car is moving)
-Check that your fan shroud is sealing properly to the back of the radiator. If it is not, then the air draw that it is supposed to be pulling through the radiator is greatly reduced.
-Check that the aftermarket fan is rated for the same or greater airflow than OEM.
-Check for air trapped in cooling system. I think I read you have an aftermarket radiator? Make sure that the system was correctly filled and air was "burped" out. And that the fan and shroud fit properly.
-Another thing that could also be the issue, but is not very likely, is a small head gasket failure between the piston and water jacket part of the gasket. This would allow super heated gasses to enter the cooling system and drive up temps but not enough to overheat the car. There is an easy test for this. Most shops will have a tool that can be used to measure for Carbon Monoxide gasses in the coolant system during operation.

Good Luck
Very good tip/check list

DH
Old 08-13-2016, 09:43 PM
speedz06
Drifting

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ

Good Luck
Thanks for this.
Yeah, disappointed after all that work on the radiator and D3 fan/shroud to still be up in the 240f range.
Turning off the a/c will drop temps into the mid 220's

I dont really know how to burp the system. I have a factory service manual set and followed the procedure when filling. I have driven at least 1000 miles since the installation though.

I can see that there is allot of improvement possible since the D3 fan shroud sits pretty far from the radiator. I will seal the shroud.

Actually I am looking for the right gsket material that wont melt or break down. I havent had much luck finding much other than weather strip. Maybe there is silicone or high temp material to fill the 1" gap around the shroud. Anyone knows pls let me know.

Now, there is the small heat exchanger for the e force up front.

The factory z06 oil cooler is still being used. My shop decided they didnt like the oil to water cooler that came with the eforce kit.
Maybe this hot little radiator inside the lower front shroud along with the condenser is not helping but doubt it is the main issue.

The black plastic front shroud (baffle?) has been cut just a little to fit the outline of the heat exchanger. std eforce kit. instructs.

The factory water pump should either work or not work and I cant see how it could lose performance so been reluctant to change it till the meziere pump is back from the factory.

Hope it is something simple and not engine related. The car leaks/burns almost no oil and the catch can is practically empty after ten thousand miles.

If thermostat is quick I may just do it this weekend to get it off the list.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:50 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

I would start with that 1 inch gap between the fan shroud and fan assembly. That is definitely losing some efficiency. If you could find some true 100% silicone gasket material, that would be sturdy enough and withstand the high heat. Just the be clear I'm talking about the shroud around the fan should seal up against the radiator so that all of the fans CFM rating is drawn through the heat exchanger and radiator. If there really is a 1 inch gap then there is not much airflow moving through them at idle and low speeds. If you have no temp issues when on the highway or at a constant sustained 45mph+ speed then I would say its almost certain that the gap is your problem.

I doubt the heat exchanger in the front of the radiator would cause a noticeable difference in temps. Especially with the upgraded cooling setup you have.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:33 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Sounds like you have an different issue, or a compounding issue.

Drove car all over yesterday. Was 108F outside. Highest temp I saw with AC cranked was 201F.

Get notified of new replies

To Any City drivers: how hot does your Z06 run

Quick Reply: [Z06] Any City drivers: how hot does your Z06 run