Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2009 Z06 Battery drain/charging system issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:39 AM
pthomas1992
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Z06 Battery drain/charging system issues

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me pin point a weird electrical issue that I am having with my '09 Z06.
The battery voltage is not stable. Sometimes when I'm driving I see the voltage on that dash of the battery at 14V, which it should be and then sometimes it drops down to about 11.9V! Yes, the car is running when this happens! Two weeks ago, I took the car out and it died on me as the voltage at the battery kept going lower and lower until the car shut down on me.

Things I have done:
-Changed the battery to an AutoCraft one.
-Changed the alternator to an AutoZone Duralast one. Had the same issues so I returned it and put the old GM one back on.

When the card died on me, I had it towed to the dealership and they replaced the alternator with a OEM GM one. As soon as I got home from the dealership, I turned the car off and when I tried to push to start I heard a click (This is what used to happen before the dealership attempted to fix it). I pushed it again and I heard the engine try to turn over and then it finally started. I checked the battery voltage and it was at 11.9 volts idle. So same problem exists even with the new GM $700 alternator.

I am beginning to think it is a bad ground at the starter or the starter itself could be junk. Anyone have any thought? If any more info. is needed or there are any questions please ask!

Thanks and have a great day!

Last edited by pthomas1992; 10-13-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:08 AM
zippy 2
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure if it is the same electrical problem that I had, but here is the related post that you can take a look at

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/3858288-interesting-intermittent-start-issue.html
Old 10-14-2016, 08:16 AM
pthomas1992
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy 2
I'm not sure if it is the same electrical problem that I had, but here is the related post that you can take a look at

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...art-issue.html
Hmm, looks similar. However, it seems like you have issues when you try to accelerate as well. I think you have both a starting issue and a drive-ability issue as well.

The one thing that keeps cropping up is the issue with bad wiring at or around the starter. Yesterday, I tried to start my car and it would not start at all. I heard the solenoid click every time but the starter did not have enough voltage to turn. When I checked the battery voltage it was 11.5V. Something is drawing current from the battery and dragging the voltage down in my case.

Last edited by pthomas1992; 10-14-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:01 AM
zippy 2
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car's issue was mostly a starting issue, but because the pin in the hood fuse box was fried, it also occasionally had some hesitation / stalling when driving over bumps

it doesn't take much to take the hood fuse box and take a look. If you read up on this issue, many people replaced all sorts of parts before they fixed / found the issue.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:20 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by pthomas1992
I am beginning to think it is a bad ground at the starter or the starter itself could be junk. Anyone have any thought?
May very well be starter/wiring/solenoid, been reported w/ pics several times over the years. Happens in hot climates, especially cars w/ headers. A search should turn something using 'starter problem' or 'starter solenoid'.

IIRC if starter wiring/solenoid is burned, intermittent starting & strange charging system behavior results.
Get car in the air & give starter, connections & solenoid a thorough inspection, use a flashlight. Any heat damage should be clearly visible.

FYI: a knowledgeable member posted a DIY tutorial on a repair procedure for bad/burned out solenoid w/o replacing entire starter in case your problem's only a bad solenoid.
Good deal less $ vs. replacing starter & solenoid. G/L
Old 10-14-2016, 11:00 AM
lucxy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Before replacing any parts. I would check:

1) All grounds, wiring to the battery
2) Starter wiring, solenoid
3) Check alternator and wiring

It is also possible your alternator is getting heat soaked. I had this happen on my z06. Had to wrap the alternator and new starter wiring. But mine is modified running ARH headers.

Have a qualified shop look at it.

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 Z06 Battery drain/charging system issues

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2009 Z06 Battery drain/charging system issues