Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Pulling the engine from the top Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 10:56 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Pulling the engine from the top Questions

I have the engine about ready to pull except for 1 or 2 things, I think.
Will I have to pull the steering rack to get enough room to slide the engine forward or will the engine lift over it.
Will the driveshaft slide out of the clutch without other items being done first.
How do I get the AC compressor off. It appears there isn't enough room to slide it off its mounting stud.
Thanks.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Remove mounting stud. It screws out.
I pulled rack before. I very much doubt you could move it far enough forward to get it around it.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:45 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Will do on a stud. I think I've decided to loosen the cradle, removing front nuts completely so the front will drop enough to clear the rack. Waiting on other suggestions as well.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:44 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I pulled mine as a short block. Heads were off, balancer off, everything the short block. Worked out for me.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:15 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

If the engine is supported from the top I think I would remove the whole cradle along with the front suspension.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:41 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by rjacobs
If the engine is supported from the top I think I would remove the whole cradle along with the front suspension.
I don't have a lift. The car is off the ground but not high enough to drop cradle and engine combo.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:09 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by rabrooks
I don't have a lift. The car is off the ground but not high enough to drop cradle and engine combo.
not what I was suggesting.

Support the engine.

undo engine mount bolts.

drop complete sub-frame.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:03 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by rjacobs
not what I was suggesting.

Support the engine.

undo engine mount bolts.

drop complete sub-frame.
oh, Gotcha. I'll do that if the partial drop doesn't work.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:07 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Bit of a pain but not that bad. This an auto so not sure how much more room is needed to move engine front. With the auto I didn't have to move the rack.

Name:  photo771.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  422.5 KB
Old 12-12-2016, 10:41 PM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I pulled the engine without dropping the cradle or removing/lowering the power steering rack. I did remove the A/C compressor (recall it being a pain due to the long bolt(s)), exhaust manifolds, all belts/wiring/hoses... I removed the radiator and hood of course. I also installed the motor back in the car post rebuild.
Driveshaft slide out of the clutch w/o too much trouble for me. I put pressure on the hoist, final loosened bolts from motor mounts and pushed the motor slightly forward sliding on motor mounts. Was able to pry gently between torque tube and flywheel/clutch housing to see it would move. I did support/slightly raise the torque tube supporting it on a spare tunnel plate that I had. i cut it down to support it on about 10 bolts each side and put a wood wedge under it to support the torque tube. I can't recall the exact sequence but I may have removed the motor mount from passenger side when I supported the engine weight with the crane.
There are many recommendations to drop the cradle and power steering rack. That may be easier, but I have removed and installed the engine solo twice without moving rack or cradle. Good luck!

Originally Posted by rabrooks
I have the engine about ready to pull except for 1 or 2 things, I think.
Will I have to pull the steering rack to get enough room to slide the engine forward or will the engine lift over it.
Will the driveshaft slide out of the clutch without other items being done first.
How do I get the AC compressor off. It appears there isn't enough room to slide it off its mounting stud.
Thanks.

Last edited by 1badtantrum; 12-12-2016 at 10:42 PM. Reason: flow

Get notified of new replies

To Pulling the engine from the top Questions

Quick Reply: [Z06] Pulling the engine from the top Questions