Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Cannot seat OEM tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:42 AM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cannot seat OEM tires

I just got a set of OEM Michelin ZP tires for my 2010 ZR1.

I took them to Discount Tire and came back an hour later and they hadn't got them mounted. 2 hours later they gave up. Re-mounted the old tires and I took my new ones home.

2 days later tried at local Goodyear shop that is very good. Tried everything, heat gun, strap in middle of tire, lots of lube, mount wheels on car and see if weight of car would help, no luck.

Two shops could not get the bead to seat. Seems like it is the top bead that won't seat.

I know this is a problem sometimes, but what on earth is going on that two shops cannot seat the tires? I am going to try a different set of tires, but I don't see how it could be the batch of tires since these are two different RIM sizes as well as different tire sizes. So it seems unlikely that it would be a manufacturing problem across different wheel sizes and tire sizes.

I'm at a loss, but I REALLY need tires on my car.

Anyone else experience this and did you come up with a solution?

On a footnote, the first shop broke a tire pressure sensor and put a new one on, but couldn't get it registered (long story, car was up so long with all doors and hatch open while lifted that they ran the battery down and we had to push start, so we didn't have battery to train new sensor)

WHY did 2010 suddenly change to where you cannot train sensors without an expensive tool and you can't read the code without a reader now? We got screwed with that...

What you used to be able to do free with the car's own computer and your key fob now requires you to buy expensive stuff or go to a dealer. Just venting here. Thanks GM.

Anyway, back to the original message - any tips on how they can get these things mounted??

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:55 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

OEM as in the old Pilot Sport 2 (PS2)tires or Pilot Super Sport (PSS) tires?
Old 01-25-2017, 04:59 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jft69z
OEM as in the old Pilot Sport 2 (PS2)tires or Pilot Super Sport (PSS) tires?
Actually, you make a good point. PS2 which is likely part of the problem because I've never had a problem with PS1, but I don't know if I can find PS1.

I'll update below though...
Old 01-25-2017, 05:22 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

So I talked with my tire supplier. I can get Porsche rear tires (what I am running now) which are 335 30ZR20 in NON-ZP form which are slightly taller (but in my experience vs the PS1 ZP hook up much better, and still handle exceptionally well.) These do not rub except in most extreme conditions. Two people in car, full tank, etc...

My problem is the fronts...

I can get two tires here...

Both NON-RUNFLAT PILOT SPORT 2

P295/30ZR 19

Or

P285/35ZR 19

For handling I would assume the 10mm wider with lower profile would be the way to go, but will they rub?

For that matter, will the 35's rub?

I am ok with parking lot run, I.e. Don't crank the wheel as far. But I don't want to be always trying to avoid it in day to day use.

So my question is, anyone run NON-OEM sizes on your C6-ZR1? If so, what are your experiences?

My experience with the Porsche rears (Pilot Super Sport 1 - 335/30/20) has been exceptional. I got them from a friend who works at Michelin who was able to purchase them via an employee deal where they get returns at huge discount- I got these about a year ago and I assume it was when places like tire rack were returning the SS1's to restock with SS2.

I paid about $380 for the PAIR of rears. I wish I had purchased more. At the time I didn't want to stockpile because of storage space and I didn't know if I would keep the car or not. Hindsight is 20/20 and I wish that I had them now.

Thanks so much for any help!
Old 01-25-2017, 05:46 PM
Can'tHave2MuchHP
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

I can't comment on what you want but I can say...

It SUCKS to live with a tire rub. I have a truck that I put some big ol' tires on, and I knew when I ordered them that I'd probably have to do a "fender mod" to clear them all the time. But I thought like you did "Eh, it's ok, as long as I don't crank it or whatever, I'll be fine"...After trying to live with it for a week, I was done. Don't do it, and that's really how I feel. You can't control every situation you're in, sure it's exaggerated with a 3/4 ton truck that doesn't turn on a dime as is, but I couldn't imagine rubbing a tire on my sports car that I want to enjoy every step of the way.

Chances are that 2 passenger, full tank, situation will happen when you least want it to... you're turning into get ice cream with your hot date/wife and then ERRRRRGHGHHHGHHGHGHH...Your tire rubs...Or you're pulling into a car meet, same story.

My point is, get tires that will fit, and I know you're asking if they will, sorry I can't help, but make sure you don't have rubbing issues before buying.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:01 PM
AngelSpeedFreak
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI - in my 2010 I can relearn the TPMS sensors without a tool. Piece of cake to do, hold 2 buttons on the remote and let air out of each tire to train. I think 2009 and 2012 up had the ones you needed a special learn tool for?
Old 01-25-2017, 06:08 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tom Steele
Actually, you make a good point. PS2 which is likely part of the problem because I've never had a problem with PS1, but I don't know if I can find PS1.

I'll update below though...
The OEM PS2's we had no problem mounting on my rims in the past. Had big troubles recently mounting the new Pilot Super Sports though.

The reason they went to using a TPMS tool was explained in a Kent-Moore thing that mentioned the dealerships were having a lot of issues with vehicles in adjacent work bays causing troubles when doing a re-learn. I can dig up the paper if anyone is interested.

Found it:

https://srs20assets.service-solution...0448_rev_1.pdf

Last edited by jft69z; 01-25-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:32 PM
Redgts1982
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If you get desperate enough , butler tire here in GA can do it, its a bitch.
Try heating them up (like a lot) outside on blacktop on a hot day, get lots of murphys tire soap and I mean lots
My advice to you would be to ditch run-flats forever and run a regular high performance tire.
I feel you pain man, Ive been there.

Last edited by Redgts1982; 01-25-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:42 PM
trixter
Intermediate

I had that issue with my new set of ZPs recently as well. Hell the dealer couldn't even make em work after 2 shops had a go at em. I have to hand it to the guys at Savannah Tire though - they ran the tires and wheels all over town until they finally found a rim shop (can't remember their name) that had the right machine for the job. According to the tire tech at Savannah tire, the other dudes had some kind of specialty machine that could manage it.
On that note, I very much like how the SS ZPs in stock size work on my car.

Last edited by trixter; 01-26-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:13 PM
INTRCUL
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

ZP tires make it harder to bead, but there does seem to be more issues with the new Super Sports compared to the OEM PS/2 ZP tires of the same size. The OEM is actually the Pilot Sport 2 (PS/2) and the replacement and OEM on the C7Z06 is the Pilot Super Sport ZP (PSS) in the exact same size as the ZR1. Sport Cups stickies have two generations. In 2012 the "Performance" option included the old 2009-11 transmission ratios, different wheels, and the original Pilot Sport Cup (PSC) tire with a 80 tread wear. C7Z06's with the Z07 package come with the newer Pilot Sport Cup 2 (SC2) tires which are 180 tread wear I think. Michelin runs a dual silica compound on the newer generation tires with the stickier compound on the outer should blocks 9mostly for cornering) and a more normal compound on the majority of the middle and inner tread blocks. They got significantly longer mileage with better performance, but your alignment better be spot on or you'll kill the other blocks quickly. Not trying to nit-pick, but just wanted to make sure which versions you're talking about.

You can probably get away with 10mm wider, but I wouldn't run a higher profile tire. Taller has way more potential to rub, might throw an Active Handling error if you only did one set (front or rear), and it'll further hurt our already ridiculously tall gear ratio. If you do any drag racing and experience how hard these cars are to get out of the hole, it'll be worse with a taller street tire.

I wish the newer PSS tires were available in the same size non-RF version. I'm on 345/25x20 Nitto INVO's now and can't wait to put on a set of PSS's but I'm dreading finding a shop that can mount them like you're going through. Oddly enough, the small dealership by me that only moves a dozen Vettes a year can mount them, but they charge over $200 a set if you provide the tires. Someone has to pay for that Hunter Road Force balancer.....
Old 01-26-2017, 07:02 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by INTRCUL
ZP tires make it harder to bead, but there does seem to be more issues with the new Super Sports compared to the OEM PS/2 ZP tires of the same size. The OEM is actually the Pilot Sport 2 (PS/2) and the replacement and OEM on the C7Z06 is the Pilot Super Sport ZP (PSS) in the exact same size as the ZR1. Sport Cups stickies have two generations. In 2012 the "Performance" option included the old 2009-11 transmission ratios, different wheels, and the original Pilot Sport Cup (PSC) tire with a 80 tread wear. C7Z06's with the Z07 package come with the newer Pilot Sport Cup 2 (SC2) tires which are 180 tread wear I think. Michelin runs a dual silica compound on the newer generation tires with the stickier compound on the outer should blocks 9mostly for cornering) and a more normal compound on the majority of the middle and inner tread blocks. They got significantly longer mileage with better performance, but your alignment better be spot on or you'll kill the other blocks quickly. Not trying to nit-pick, but just wanted to make sure which versions you're talking about.

You can probably get away with 10mm wider, but I wouldn't run a higher profile tire. Taller has way more potential to rub, might throw an Active Handling error if you only did one set (front or rear), and it'll further hurt our already ridiculously tall gear ratio. If you do any drag racing and experience how hard these cars are to get out of the hole, it'll be worse with a taller street tire.

I wish the newer PSS tires were available in the same size non-RF version. I'm on 345/25x20 Nitto INVO's now and can't wait to put on a set of PSS's but I'm dreading finding a shop that can mount them like you're going through. Oddly enough, the small dealership by me that only moves a dozen Vettes a year can mount them, but they charge over $200 a set if you provide the tires. Someone has to pay for that Hunter Road Force balancer.....
I'm looking to make the switch to the PSS non-runflats but the closet sizes to factory are,

Front: 295/30R19 or 275/30ZR19
Rear: 325/25ZR20

I put in a request with Michelin for stock sizes in the replacement for the PPS which are the Pilot Sport 4S, won't hold my breath for this to happen. They are being released in March.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:23 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-tires-3.html
The following users liked this post:
RobWilson (01-26-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 06:36 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

I tried both of those tire lubes (Murphy's & Quick Lube), didn't work for us.

Ended up using the Hunter lube sparingly and working the bead. Too much lube is going to cause problems too, my rears moved around 8 inches after leaving some of that Quick Lube on there. Had to pop them back off, clean real good and remount them, PITA.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-20-tires.html

Last edited by jft69z; 01-27-2017 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:05 AM
INTRCUL
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Devil
I'm looking to make the switch to the PSS non-runflats but the closet sizes to factory are,

Front: 295/30R19 or 275/30ZR19
Rear: 325/25ZR20

I put in a request with Michelin for stock sizes in the replacement for the PPS which are the Pilot Sport 4S, won't hold my breath for this to happen. They are being released in March.
275/30x19 and 325/25x20 should work on the OEM wheels without problems. At these sizes Michelin says you can go up or down 1/2". I would avoid doing the 295/30 up front with those rears because it's a bigger mismatch diameter wise and would increase the chance of getting an Active Handling code. A wider front and a narrower rear would also slightly throw the balance off, making the car slightly more likely to spin on a road coarse. The new PSS tire is good enough you probably won't even notice the difference compared to PS/2's if you did the 275 and 325.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:54 PM
Fagunza
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had trouble with two different Discount Tire shops, including as I later found out, a bent wheel-beyond repair. One time, I got my wheels back with the tires half on half off (I take my wheels/tires to the shop in my SUV as nobody but me and my trusted mechanic gets to lift my car as they will try to do so without the jacking pucks).
I decided to try the dealer and they were able to get the Michelins on with a lot of goop after letting them warm up in the sun for a couple of hours. As another poster said the Sport Cup tires seem to be the hardest followed by the Pilot Super Sports. Just last week I went back to my dealer and found out they had a new $12,000 machine (they say) just for mounting the low profile run flats that we have. So, they mounted my tires for me with no drama. There was very little goop showing between the rim and the bead. (Heaven forbid you clean up after yourself) Yes, it cost more than DT but I didn't have to replace a $400 wheel.
Hopefully, you can find a dealer with the latest and greatest machine.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:52 PM
TheDhaliLama
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ran into the same issue as the OP. The shop I originally go to spent about 3 hours trying to mount the tires and failed. They contacted another shop which had purchased the latest and greatest tire mounting rig and they were able to pop them on in about 10mins. The second shop said it was a combination of the tire as well as the rim that causes an issue and prevents it from beading. I would contact shops around you and ask if they have done Michelin ZPs on Corvette rims before you go in.
Even my local Chevy dealer couldn't do it (they outsource all their corvette tire work).
Old 02-28-2017, 04:12 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

I took my tires to a Porsche dealer and they had no problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Cannot seat OEM tires

Old 02-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

What is this "latest and greatest" tire mounting machine that is being referenced?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:12 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimnc
What is this "latest and greatest" tire mounting machine that is being referenced?
I'm sure this would be one of them,

http://www.hunter.com/tire-changers/revolution
Old 04-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Hockyz
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Add me to the list of people that can't get stuff mounted - trying to get my cup2s on unsuccessfully. They can't get the rears to bead and this is at a shop that supposedly has the latest and greatest machines. We'll see what happens.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Cannot seat OEM tires