Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Aluminum or Steel Enclosed Race Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Too-Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 798 Likes on 540 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Aluminum or Steel Enclosed Race Trailer

I thought about posting this in the racing section but decided to go here since we all are driving the same kind of cars to get relevant perspectives. I am currently in the market for an enclosed Race style trailer to carry my Z07 to events. I have decided on 24', an escape door(the kind that lifts like a concession door with removable fender), winch, cabinets, generator, loading lights, etc. My big dilemma is Steel vs. Aluminum; weight and cost.

Over the past few weeks my research has revealed that the steel will weigh in from 4800lbs to 5500lbs and aluminum about 1500lbs less and will also cost $2700 to $3500 more than steel. My question to those that have faced this decision is what to do? Do I go for the lighter yet more expensive trailer or the less expensive heavier one. My 2016 expedition with the HD tow package will haul 9000lbs.
I am struggling here, so any helpful perspectives are appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Durien512
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I think you are going to be pushing that ford hard to tow a steel trailer loaded .....I'm in opinion, lighter is better for many reasons .... fuel, easier to tow, less strain on the fix or repair daily vehicle, rust etc...

Jk on the ford jokes
Old 03-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Too-Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Durien512
I think you are going to be pushing that ford hard to tow a steel trailer loaded .....I'm in opinion, lighter is better for many reasons .... fuel, easier to tow, less strain on the fix or repair daily vehicle, rust etc...

Jk on the ford jokes
Yeah, I keep ending up there myself, just would like to have all the features and not have to pay $20-$22K.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:05 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 785 Likes on 561 Posts

Aluminum. Less weight is a plus going up hills and when stopping.

No rust or rotted out wooden floors!

The higher initial price is a bit uncomfortable, but the resale values seem to track the rise of the new models.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:28 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,081 Likes on 650 Posts

I tow a lot. If I had to go enclosed trailer Aluminum would be my choice if I had to tow with an Expedition or something comparable. You will still have a bit of a crosswind and stability issue. Invest in the best load leveling and sway control hitch you can find.

Uness it's a racing car without windows or you need the storage an enclosed trailer provides I would seriously consider an open trailer.

Lastly you don't need an escape door or removable fender. Winch it in. Your clutch will appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Last edited by Racingswh; 03-05-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:08 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

I have also done a lot of towing. You arent going to want anymore than 600lbs on the hitch. If it has brakes you will be okay in that department. I would definitely invest in some air leveling springs..

At the end of the day it will be overloaded. I wouldn't drive very fast with it.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:36 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

If the trailer weights 5000 lbs and the car weighs 3000, you are close to being at max load. That doesnt include any extras you may put inside the trailer. I doubt seriously you could pull it very well with that tow vehicle. I had a Silverado and an F150, trying to pull a 5000 lb boat. It was a struggle. If I had the money, I would buy aluminum. Or as previously stated, by an open trailer. You can always have a rock guard installed on the front.

BTW, I bought a 2014 Silverado with a 6.2l, 420 hp engine to pull my boat.

Last edited by LMB-Z; 03-06-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:11 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Thinking about the auto trans too. That will very likely want to overheat easily.

Last edited by User Omega; 03-06-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:44 AM
Too-Fast
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the feedback guys, really good information, looks like it will be aluminum, the ones I have been looking at weigh in at 3200lbs and open is not an option for me. With the trailer at 3200 and the car at 3250 it will be 2500lbs under the rated towing capacity.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:07 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Even with a aluminum trailer you will be asking a lot of the tow vehicle.
Think about your safety, the investment in the trailer and what's inside.
I would be considering trading up to a larger tow vehicle. You'll have more options on what you can pull safely. Also, one other thing to keep in mind. You don't have to be a commercial vehicle to attract the attention of a DOT cop. If he sees something on the road that doesn't look safe, he is within his rights to pull you over and check. And yes, they do have portable scales
Old 03-06-2017, 05:11 AM
Too-Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by stefuel
Even with a aluminum trailer you will be asking a lot of the tow vehicle.
Think about your safety, the investment in the trailer and what's inside.
I would be considering trading up to a larger tow vehicle. You'll have more options on what you can pull safely. Also, one other thing to keep in mind. You don't have to be a commercial vehicle to attract the attention of a DOT cop. If he sees something on the road that doesn't look safe, he is within his rights to pull you over and check. And yes, they do have portable scales
I assume you are referring to steel, correct? With the aluminum it would be towing about 2/3 of the rated capacity, why would that not be safe with a load leveling hitch?
Old 03-06-2017, 07:52 AM
duk007
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
I assume you are referring to steel, correct? With the aluminum it would be towing about 2/3 of the rated capacity, why would that not be safe with a load leveling hitch?

I chose aluminum , best trailer I ever bought . Get the side door, it makes all the difference. I did my research me bought an ATC 24' and love it. I can load my car myself and have it strapped down in about 3 minutes. Not only do you have access to the drivers door, but also the front and rear driver side wheels for tie downs.

A well maintained aluminum trailer will return a much better investment when in comes to resale. Try to find a used ATC for under 10K, most are still 15K or more for a 5-6 year old trailer. Compare that on a 12k steel trailer that's now worth 5K.

Don't buy it if you don't want to attract attention at the track. I always have a couple of guys wanting to check it out at every event. My trailer gets more attention than my z06.

You can't have too much of a tow vehicle. The lighter the trailer the easier the pull. I don't even know it's behind my 1ton diesel, but my wife's Denali XL pulls it fine, just not as effortlessly as my truck.

Good luck
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Too-Fast (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:22 AM
Too-Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by duk007
I chose aluminum , best trailer I ever bought . Get the side door, it makes all the difference. I did my research me bought an ATC 24' and love it. I can load my car myself and have it strapped down in about 3 minutes. Not only do you have access to the drivers door, but also the front and rear driver side wheels for tie downs.

A well maintained aluminum trailer will return a much better investment when in comes to resale. Try to find a used ATC for under 10K, most are still 15K or more for a 5-6 year old trailer. Compare that on a 12k steel trailer that's now worth 5K.

Don't buy it if you don't want to attract attention at the track. I always have a couple of guys wanting to check it out at every event. My trailer gets more attention than my z06.

You can't have too much of a tow vehicle. The lighter the trailer the easier the pull. I don't even know it's behind my 1ton diesel, but my wife's Denali XL pulls it fine, just not as effortlessly as my truck.

Good luck
Very nice, that is a great trailer! Do you winch it in? It looks like a Quest, is it a 305 or 205?

Last edited by Too-Fast; 03-06-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:03 AM
duk007
Instructor

Very nice, that is a great trailer! Do you winch it in? It looks like a Quest, is it a 305 or 205?

Thanks... It's a CH305. I looked a Raven Plus, but once you start adding a couple of things a Quest is only a couple grand more and a better trailer.

I open the drives escape door and just drive it in. Takes longer to get the race ramps out and under the flap than it does to get the car in.

I really like it. The only thing I would have done different is order a 28' to get a golf cart in there as well, but I don't have the driveways space to get it and my truck parked without it sticking out in the street. 24' is plenty of space though.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,081 Likes on 650 Posts

One of my best friends over in Chester Springs has that exact trailer if you want to head over and take a look. Happy to set that up. It is a beautiful trailer. He does drive his car in and the escape door with removable fender is a must have.

Also he HAD a 2015? Expedition for towing and he can tell you the story better than I can. Now his rig looks almost exactly like that in the picture except his is a Chevy. Made me take a double take as I thought it was my friend posting.

Last edited by Racingswh; 03-06-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:25 AM
duk007
Instructor

Originally Posted by Racingswh
One of my best friends over in Chester Springs has that exact trailer if you want to head over and take a look. Happy to set that up. It is a beautiful trailer. He does drive his car in and the escape door with removable fender is a must have.

Also he HAD a 2015? Expedition for towing and he can tell you the story better than I can. Now his rig looks almost exactly like that in the picture except his is a Chevy. Made me take a double take as I thought it was my friend posting.

I have a video I'll post later. It's after the last session of the night and I pull right in the trailer and go out the escape door. It should tell you everything you need to know . I also have a winch in the lower cabinet , but have never needed to use it. It's only there in case I have a really bad day ! I go to every SCCA Track night in America event I can and I'm usually alone. I have no issues with getting the car in and strapped down by myself in a few minutes. It's the only way to go if it's in your budget. I believe it's around $1100, but it's worth 3 times that.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:13 AM
Too-Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by duk007
I have a video I'll post later. It's after the last session of the night and I pull right in the trailer and go out the escape door. It should tell you everything you need to know . I also have a winch in the lower cabinet , but have never needed to use it. It's only there in case I have a really bad day ! I go to every SCCA Track night in America event I can and I'm usually alone. I have no issues with getting the car in and strapped down by myself in a few minutes. It's the only way to go if it's in your budget. I believe it's around $1100, but it's worth 3 times that.
Would like to see the video, great additional info, thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum or Steel Enclosed Race Trailer

Old 03-06-2017, 02:08 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Aluminum...hands down. Keep your eyes out for a nice used one...usually you can find deep discounts on toy haulers, but you may have to compromise on some things.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:01 PM
duk007
Instructor

Would like to see the video, great additional info, thanks.
As promised:

Not sure why the video won't show but here is the direct link:

Last edited by duk007; 03-07-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:01 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Video doesnt work

Quick Reply: [Z06] Aluminum or Steel Enclosed Race Trailer