Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another Mamo ported MSD vs Stock LS7 dyno run

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:08 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Default Another Mamo ported MSD vs Stock LS7 dyno run

Guys,

I know there has been alot posted on this topic for anyone that cares to look or use the search feature but I thought this result was interesting as its kind of a text book example of what I commonly see for gains and what I really liked about this test in particular is both runs are utilizing an unported LS7 TB. Besides that fact that limits some of the gains potentially available from the swap, what it does do is paint a clear picture of what a properly modified MSD is worth with no other help and its clearly a very significant bump in output from the beginning of the curve to the end.

Its a stock C6Z with a 238/250 cam / 114 LSA....ported OEM castings....not sure of the compression ratio. Honestly its a customer I mainly helped with the MSD so Im not well versed in the entire combo.

Also FWIW, I shared with the customer it appears something is holding this engine back around 6K or so....the torque takes a hard turn down and never recovers....both before and after the MSD has this same scenario and if this was somehow sorted out, this build would make at least 10-15 more RWHP and peak closer to the 6500 - 6600 this size cam should be peaking at (peak power that is)

All that said the real beauty of this comparison are the peak and area under the curve gains from the better manifold. You get in the car after seeing a curve fatten like this and its in your face more powerful.....well worth the price of admission!

A 102 TB on this combo would have easily been worth 5+ RWHP additional....maybe even more if the engine carried better.

Btw the customer took the actual data from the dyno (which wasn't scaled the same on the Mustang dyno), and built this excel file from it. It's much easier to see the actual shape of the power and torque curves this way so that's why I posted this versus the actual print out from the dyno which looks funky and very exaggerated due to the different scaling of torque and horsepower (a pet peeve of mine I might add....LOL)

Good stuff guys!

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com
The following 3 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
MTPZ06 (04-05-2017), RGT (04-05-2017), turbo1k (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 06:39 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Awesome results, even picked up some torque at the top where it's falling off. Always nice to see new comparisons
Old 04-05-2017, 07:42 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Tony great job on before and after. Obviously a few forces may be impacting the higher rpms (I know you do not know whole story). I was wondering could some short travel Johnsons help out here as it seems to be an after 6,000 rpm issue. Great numbers up to that point.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:37 PM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Good torque numbers.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by RGT
Good torque numbers.
I thought the same....was especially pleased with those gains.

Like I mentioned in my first post, these types of gains across the curve really feel dramatic in the car before and after.

Years ago I swapped an exhaust in my C5 and picked up like 15 RWTQ and about 8-10 RWHP.....thing is the whole curve fattened up (a smaller version of whats represented here) and the car just felt amazing....felt alot stronger than the 8-10 peak RWHP would have led you to believe because of the significant gains in average power and torque across the entire curve.

Good stuff!!

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 04-05-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:14 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 687 Posts

I'll be placing my order very soon!
Old 04-05-2017, 08:28 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 138 Posts

Those are amazing numbers Tony! Can't wait for my pile of parts including one of these sweet intakes!!!
Old 04-06-2017, 05:42 PM
carbuff
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm looking forward to having a different set of data from a different kind of intake that Tony and I are working on... Not sure if I have the patience to wait, but definitely looking forward to the results!
Old 04-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Awesome results for a stock to ported MSD test. The hp gains rock, but the torque gains really rock. That 40 rwtq gain at 3800 is going to be felt behind the wheel for sure. Just a fatazz torque curve pushing you back in the seat!

Get notified of new replies

To Another Mamo ported MSD vs Stock LS7 dyno run

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another Mamo ported MSD vs Stock LS7 dyno run