Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 08 ZO6 build complete ***(Mamo content inside)***

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 11:41 AM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Default 08 ZO6 build complete ***(Mamo content inside)***

I purchased my 08 ZO6 back in September last year with 6100 miles. The car only had a Corsa Sport exhaust on it, installed from the factory at delivery. I knew I had to fix the head issue, so I contacted Tony Mamo, and we worked out a package to address this, and add more power. I initially told him I wanted to keep the stock cam, but he swayed my decision into ordering an extremely mild custom grind cam, that would still be able to leverage the extra airflow from his heads. I am extremely **** about drivability, and let him know that. After installation and rigorous tuning, the car DOES drive just like stock. I am very pleased with the package Tony recommended. I also added some extras (suspension components, tires, clutch, etc). The car put down 541/492 SAE on a conservative tune (dynojet). This is with the stock unported intake manifold, as well as the stock unported throttle body. The complete mod list is below:

- Mamo Motorsports 265 cc LS7 Heads (TFS Casting) with upgrade .650 PAC spring and Ti Retainer, Hollow valve upgrade, 11.75 to 1 compression, heads milled to 67cc
- Yella Terra MMS LS7 Ultralite Shaftrocker YT-6754
- Y/T Thick Valve cover gasket
- Rocker Shims and Exh bolt kit for YT rockers
- Bosch flow matched 52lb Injectors
- Cometic Head gaskets (pair) .040 thick LS7 style gaskets
- Manton custom length pushrods (Need zero lash measurements from installer)
- Johnson Link Bar Performance lifters w/ .093 limited plunger travel
- Custom camshaft
duration: 228/240
lift: .606/.615
LSA: 118 + 3
- Single Roller HD Timing Chain set w/ Torrington bearing (LS7 SNOUT)
- ARP Head bolts, balancer bolt and (3) 12.9 grade Cam bolts
- Cam plate and bolts
- 8 NGK TR55 plugs
- Hinson Engine / Tranny urethane mounts
- HallTech 103 mm CAI

- American Racing 1 7/8” long tube headers, with catted X pipe, ceramic coated
- Upgraded tunnel plate, with heat shield

- Mcleod RXT twin disc with billet steel flywheel
- GM OEM master cylinder
- GM slave cylinder
- Remote clutch bleeder

- 4 brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires
- Bilstein DRM shocks and bushings
- C6 Pfadt Johnny O'Connell Sway Bars
- Sac City Corvette front fangs

The following users liked this post:
dmartens (10-12-2018)
Old 05-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Another local guy. Did Quicktime install everything too? They appear to be a motorcycle shop. How did you find them?
Old 05-04-2017, 11:53 AM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tech
Another local guy. Did Quicktime install everything too? They appear to be a motorcycle shop. How did you find them?
Quicktime just did the tune. They are predominantly a motorcycle shop, but have been tuning LS cars for quite some time. For some reason, EVERYONE in the St. Louis area SUCKS at tuning, except for Quicktime. They used to do work on my old '11 ZX-10R.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by 95rtturbo
Quicktime just did the tune. They are predominantly a motorcycle shop, but have been tuning LS cars for quite some time. For some reason, EVERYONE in the St. Louis area SUCKS at tuning, except for Quicktime. They used to do work on my old '11 ZX-10R.
I suspect you probably haven't tried everyone. I would be curious who have you have tried though. Perhaps through PM is better for that sort of discussion though.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:01 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

I have tried at least 5-6. None were any good. PM me if you want details.

Edit: I take that back... I have only tried 3 in the St. Louis area. 2 of them were horrific results, one wasn't nearly as bad, but wasn't a professional tune by any means. I guess it just seemed like more because of my heartache.

I actually drove my T Trim C5Z Z16 to Vengeance Racing in Atlanta to get tuned. They did a good job, especially with the EFI Live Flash scan device for remote tuning for little bugs.

Last edited by 95rtturbo; 05-04-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:19 PM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Good results. Im anxiously awaiting results from my Mamo build. I did all the install work, but farmed out the tuning.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:11 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Were the injectors a recommendation from Tony?
Old 05-04-2017, 03:12 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Were the injectors a recommendation from Tony?
Yes.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:34 PM
meinersk
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

52 lbs plenty up till 640rwhp
Old 05-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Why the YT's with that mild lift? Which PAC spring and do you know the install height?

I would not use the TR 55's. Too hot. I'd be real curious to see your spark tables and a couple logs.

What 52# injectors? ZR1, or aftermarket?

Solid curve, regardless. I bet it's fun to drive.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:11 AM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Why the YT's with that mild lift? Which PAC spring and do you know the install height?

I would not use the TR 55's. Too hot. I'd be real curious to see your spark tables and a couple logs.

Tony would have to answer the first couple of questions - it was all his recommendations.

As far as the TR 55s, that was recommended to me by Hinson Motorsports. What would be the ill effect of going to that hot of a plug?

Bosch 52LBS injectors.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Sorry, I assumed that you actually did the work.

TR55's are one step hotter than OEM. You should run TR7s, which are one step cooler than OEM. They will cause premature detonation, and possibly even pre-ignition.

Bosch makes GM injectors, as well as most aftermarket injectors. ZR1/LS9 injectors are Bosch 52 PPH injectors.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:27 AM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Sorry, I assumed that you actually did the work.

TR55's are one step hotter than OEM. You should run TR7s, which are one step cooler than OEM. They will cause premature detonation, and possibly even pre-ignition.

Bosch makes GM injectors, as well as most aftermarket injectors. ZR1/LS9 injectors are Bosch 52 PPH injectors.
No worries - I did none of the work.

I appreciate the input on the plugs - I'll look into the TR7s. I'm assuming this would require tweaking to the tune?

Honestly I'm not sure if it's the LS9 injectors, or aftermarket. I would guess aftermarket. Tony would know for sure.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

You would only need to tweak the tune with the cooler plugs if the tuner was running into knock retard that was being caused by the 55's.

TR6's are the OEM heat range, if you would prefer to keep the OE heat range. The downside to running a cooler plug, is they tend to foul sooner than the hotter plug will, so you will need to change them more frequently.
95rtturbo (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 01:22 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Why the YT's with that mild lift?
Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Tony say that he's just not a fan of the OE rocker scrub period, and prefers roller tips for everything.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:00 PM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Tony say that he's just not a fan of the OE rocker scrub period, and prefers roller tips for everything.
You are right!
Old 05-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Mike,

Tom is incorrectly quoting the lift from the cam card based on a 1.7 rocker.....with my Yella Terra rockers being more of a true 1.83 ratio your looking at closer to .660 lift actually.

I also agree about the spark plugs but would recommend a TR6, not a 7 heat range which is more for boost/nitrous applications. A TR6 is plenty cold for this engine and shouldn't cause any pre ignition issues at all.....a 55 is too warm though.....no doubt about it.

Very happy with the results of this extremely mild package......its a light clutch and a ported MSD away from 580-585 RWHP with a cam that is stock smooth.....zero surge at any RPM.

A properly modified MSD would really wake this thing up and really fatten the area under the curve as well. My heads aren't even being close to fully utilized here with a choke in front of it limiting the airflow available (the OEM intake). In fact I just helped another customer that saw a 45 RWTQ gain from the swap and about 25 RWHP....really fattened the curve. He would have seen a better peak horsepower gain if his valve control was better sorted out but this combo was not that happy past 6300 ish and that's why the gains in power wasn't as good as it could have been (I didn't spec the combo.....only helped that particular customer with a ported MSD)

Anyway.....a ported MSD is certainly in Tom's future but even where it sits today with stock like versatility, its still a big accomplishment. 2" headers would have widened the gap up top also but in Tom's case he wanted it really fun on the street just cruising around and I think this mild a package is better served with a 1.875 primary for better part throttle response etc.

I have another combo about to hit the dyno with a mid 230's stick in it.....a little more aggressive than this one but something that would still drive excellent. That has the MSD and larger headers also....should be interesting to see what that makes as well

Good stuff guys!

-Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 05-05-2017 at 10:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
Brandon619 (05-06-2017), vader03 (05-14-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 08 ZO6 build complete ***(Mamo content inside)***

Old 05-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Mike,

Tom is incorrectly quoting the lift from the cam card based on a 1.7 rocker.....with my Yella Terra rockers being more of a true 1.83 ratio your looking at closer to .660 lift actually.

I also agree about the spark plugs but would recommend a TR6, not a 7 heat range which is more for boost/nitrous applications. A TR6 is plenty cold for this engine and shouldn't cause any pre ignition issues at all.....a 55 is too warm though.....no doubt about it.

Very happy with the results of this extremely mild package......its a light clutch and a ported MSD away from 580-585 RWHP with a cam that is stock smooth.....zero surge at any RPM.

A properly modified MSD would really wake this thing up and really fatten the area under the curve as well. My heads aren't even being close to fully utilized here with a choke in front of it limiting the airflow available (the OEM intake). In fact I just helped another customer that saw a 45 RWTQ gain from the swap and about 25 RWHP....really fattened the curve. He would have seen a better peak horsepower gain if his valve control was better sorted out but this combo was not that happy past 6300 ish and that's why the gains in power wasn't as good as it could have been (I didn't spec the combo.....only helped that particular customer with a ported MSD)

Anyway.....a ported MSD is certainly in Tom's future but even where it sits today with stock like versatility, its still a big accomplishment. 2" headers would have widened the gap up top also but in Tom's case he wanted it really fun on the street just cruising around and I think this mild a package is better served with a 1.875 primary for better part throttle response etc.

I have another combo about to hit the dyno with a mid 230's stick in it.....a little more aggressive than this one but something that would still drive excellent. That has the MSD and larger headers also....should be interesting to see what that makes as well

Good stuff guys!

-Tony
Thanks for that clarification Tony. Makes perfect sense now..... I actually love the OEM rockers for mild lifts under .630. Well, if the pads are true.....

You probably already know this, but I had believed the TR55's were the OEM heat range for this engine. I found out they are not about a year ago. TR6's are the OEM heat range. I was using the TR6's, thinking they were cooler. I've since moved to TR7's for 'happy' LS7's now, and have pretty good luck so far. I buy them buy the case, and index them the old fashioned way, with a sharpy and trying several plugs in each hole till I find one that points the direction I want. I've been able to get ~2 deg more spark using the 7's over the 6's. Not a big deal for most folks, but it is for me, seeing how my premium fuel is 90 octane. I need every bit of help I can get, or my spark tables end up so pathetically low, tears start welling up when I look at them....
Old 05-06-2017, 03:21 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Mike,

A properly modified MSD would really wake this thing up and really fatten the area under the curve as well. My heads aren't even being close to fully utilized here with a choke in front of it limiting the airflow available (the OEM intake).

Good stuff guys!

-Tony
Would this be the PU55Y CAM that was discussed in an earlier thread?

Thinking about power vs drivability, how would the following components affect the curve and drivability of Tom's engine with the PU55Y CAM?

Ported OEM TB or NW103 TB + Mamofied MSD + 2.0" primar AR headers.

BTW, that's a pretty amazing result for a CAI/Heads/Cam/Headers build.

Thanks,
Old 05-06-2017, 03:40 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
Would this be the PU55Y CAM that was discussed in an earlier thread?

Thinking about power vs drivability, how would the following components affect the curve and drivability of Tom's engine with the PU55Y CAM?

Ported OEM TB or NW103 TB + Mamofied MSD + 2.0" primar AR headers.

BTW, that's a pretty amazing result for a oiCAI/Heads/Cam/Headers build.

Thanks,
Yes this is the TWPC - Tom Watson ***** Cam. From speaking with Tony, nothing you stated would affect drivability on this setup with the proper tune, except maybe the 103 TB. According to him, that makes it a little more difficult to tune for drivability, but can be done.

Last edited by 95rtturbo; 05-06-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Bad_AX (05-06-2017)

Quick Reply: [Z06] 08 ZO6 build complete ***(Mamo content inside)***