Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Racing wing to cheap? Track rookie

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 05:12 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Racing wing to cheap? Track rookie

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...FVCCfgodD18LfQ

Hey guys I left a link there, so I'm looking into tracking my car more, also drag racing. So I have a c6 z06 with a few race car things I guess I could say. Car has a roll cage, carbon roof, carbon spoiler, carbon side skirt, and front lip. What I want is a carbon "wing" for track use and strut bars for the front splitter and hood scoops. Is this a cheap wing and you get what you pay for type thing. Not really looking to spend 1500-2k on a wing anything else I'm missing. A full set of tires and wheels anything else? I also know I'm going to be going through brakes tires and fluids and gas lol thanks guys anything means allot.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:25 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 687 Posts

You're likely going to need cooling mods before a different spoiler.
The following users liked this post:
CammedC6520 (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 05:29 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by jayyyw
You're likely going to need cooling mods before a different spoiler.
I have a dewitts radiator also. Forgot to mention that. I heard I'm fine with oil that cooler it comes stock with has never got me over 200 with continuous pulls to 170 and messing around same with coolant never over 200.

Oil sits at 147
And coolant at 171
Normal driving on a 80 degree day

But if I do should I go with a trans and diff cooler?
Old 06-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

The one you linked attaches via bracket to the trunk lid. This is not the proper way to mount a wing to a car that is on a race track. For show - I suppose...if you are into that kind of thing. And based on the price alone, is likely junk.

It needs to be attached to the frame of the car, through the substructure of the rear bumper cover. So the struts of the wing extend down through the bumper cover and are mounted directly to the frame. This is not only safer, as it cannot be ripped off, but is a better mounting point to create rear downforce as it will not flex or move.

This is the proper way to mount a wing to our cars:

CammedC6520 (06-24-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 01:58 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

You might want to work on your driving skills before spending money on a wing.
CammedC6520 (06-24-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 03:08 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by CammedC6520
https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...FVCCfgodD18LfQ

Hey guys I left a link there, so I'm looking into tracking my car more, also drag racing. So I have a c6 z06 with a few race car things I guess I could say. Car has a roll cage, carbon roof, carbon spoiler, carbon side skirt, and front lip. What I want is a carbon "wing" for track use and strut bars for the front splitter and hood scoops. Is this a cheap wing and you get what you pay for type thing. Not really looking to spend 1500-2k on a wing anything else I'm missing. A full set of tires and wheels anything else? I also know I'm going to be going through brakes tires and fluids and gas lol thanks guys anything means allot.
And why exactly do you think you need a wing?
CammedC6520 (06-24-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 03:10 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

That wing would slow you down drag racing also. If you want to race the car, you're asking all of the wrong questions. Aero isn't your limitation currently.
CammedC6520 (06-24-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 05:08 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

The trunk/lid mounted wings also work well. I don't have experience with the brand you mentioned above but have used the APR wing and it makes a huge difference on the track.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:46 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tech
That wing would slow you down drag racing also. If you want to race the car, you're asking all of the wrong questions. Aero isn't your limitation currently.
Talking track for that not drag its removable also
Old 06-24-2017, 09:47 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
And why exactly do you think you need a wing?
Sorry guys let me be more specific track with turns not dragstrip when I do go to
The dragstrip it will be removed
Old 06-24-2017, 09:48 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by moose.b3
You might want to work on your driving skills before spending money on a wing.
I want the wing for aesthetics also but why not? It won't hurt having it
Old 06-24-2017, 09:51 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by dapopa9
The trunk/lid mounted wings also work well. I don't have experience with the brand you mentioned above but have used the APR wing and it makes a huge difference on the track.
Wish I could man! But it's stupid expensive upwards of 2k this one is 619$ made out of real carbon a little smaller then apr 60 inches wide instead of 70 which to me looks better. Has 12 reviews and all are great says good quality and everything. I have a pic

https://www.carid.com/seibon-carbon/...FQ90fgodpvUBLg
Old 06-25-2017, 12:51 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

the ACR Viper has a park bench mounted on it's trunk lid, lid is still functional....so even though the "right way" is to mount it to the frame, you can mount one to a trunk lid but I'd say, not all trunk lids are create equal, and some wings are designed to keep the rear of the car stable, not necessarily for max downforce...I've yet to look at a new ACR to see if the lid has anything specially done to it, as it is one big park bench on top of it
CammedC6520 (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 08:03 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Configuring the aero on a race car is a very tricky science. You don't just bolt a cheap wing on the deck lid and hope for the best - unless you are doing it for "show". The ACR aero is designed as an entire package, and should not be compared here (although I understand your point). You must balance the aero properly, considering the front splitter, canards, side skirts, undercarriage, diffuser, spring rates, desired rear downforce, type of track and even the load rating on the tires. Additionally, the height of the wing and angle of attack are extremely important. The ACR has a reinforced deck lid made of carbon fiber, installed at a specific angle and height, and additionally reinforced where the wing is mounted and support pads. The springs are so stiff, and combined with other aero around the car that the ACR is actually unstable without the wing.

Simply adding a cheap rear wing and bolting it to the rear deck without any kind of research is folly. Our deck lids were not designed for this purpose. At speed, the lid can and will deflect, the weatherstipping will collapse, the little bumpers will compress and the angle of attack of the wing will change from its installed position. Even small changes have large effects and will create instability. Also, if it is not properly reinforced with mounting plates under the deck lid then it very easily can simply rip off and/or crack the deck lid. I have personally seen it happen on the older style APR wings at the track, until they started selling them with reinforcement mounting plates to go underneath. The best way on our cars is directly to the frame - period. Or at a minimum you need reinforcement plates under the lid.

So in summary, buying a cheap wing and wrenching it to the rear deck with a few bolts is not the proper way to do this. The suspension, tires, other aero, proper mounting points, design of wing, angle of attack, wing height and other factors (type of track etc) should be considered. But hey, do whatever you want.
CammedC6520 (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 11:55 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

just check out LG Motorsports old zr1 hil climb car, it was pretty successful. If it were me i'd cooy their aet up....
for a track rookie, save the 1500$ abd put it towards track time... would be a shame to be slower than a spec miata with all thise add ons :P
CammedC6520 (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 02:26 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Configuring the aero on a race car is a very tricky science. You don't just bolt a cheap wing on the deck lid and hope for the best - unless you are doing it for "show". The ACR aero is designed as an entire package, and should not be compared here (although I understand your point). You must balance the aero properly, considering the front splitter, canards, side skirts, undercarriage, diffuser, spring rates, desired rear downforce, type of track and even the load rating on the tires. Additionally, the height of the wing and angle of attack are extremely important. The ACR has a reinforced deck lid made of carbon fiber, installed at a specific angle and height, and additionally reinforced where the wing is mounted and support pads. The springs are so stiff, and combined with other aero around the car that the ACR is actually unstable without the wing.

Simply adding a cheap rear wing and bolting it to the rear deck without any kind of research is folly. Our deck lids were not designed for this purpose. At speed, the lid can and will deflect, the weatherstipping will collapse, the little bumpers will compress and the angle of attack of the wing will change from its installed position. Even small changes have large effects and will create instability. Also, if it is not properly reinforced with mounting plates under the deck lid then it very easily can simply rip off and/or crack the deck lid. I have personally seen it happen on the older style APR wings at the track, until they started selling them with reinforcement mounting plates to go underneath. The best way on our cars is directly to the frame - period. Or at a minimum you need reinforcement plates under the lid.

So in summary, buying a cheap wing and wrenching it to the rear deck with a few bolts is not the proper way to do this. The suspension, tires, other aero, proper mounting points, design of wing, angle of attack, wing height and other factors (type of track etc) should be considered. But hey, do whatever you want.
I'm sure a big corporation will do that to their cars but I'm not lol
That's to much I just wanted some more cornering ability and the look of the wing is a plus!

Better words if I would save enough to do all that and spend the time I would but I'm just wondering if a cheap wing is a type of thing "you buy what you get" I have coil overs and side skirts and all just need a wing and sway bars and weight reduction to make it basically a fun z06 on steroids around turns

Last edited by CammedC6520; 06-25-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:46 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

This is the proper way to mount a wing to our cars:

Which wing and supports are these?

Please tell me they're not a one off custom

Get notified of new replies

To Racing wing to cheap? Track rookie

Old 06-25-2017, 03:03 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Have you SPECIFICALLY and EXACTLY experienced a situation on a race track whereby you felt that more rear aero was necessary? What exactly (with details) occurred that resulted in you desiring to slap a cheap wing on the rear? And no, shredding your tires at a stop light does not qualify, and no wing will help this phenomena anyhow. Until you know exactly what the car is doing or not doing, you should never make drastic changes to the aerodynamic profile of your car, especially using cheap parts. This is the last time I personally repeat this. Aero is almost always last, and depends on many, many variables.

Tried to explain it the long, correct way, but that didn't work so here is the short version: That is a cheap, pile of steaming **** wing, typically used by ricers and cars and coffee guys. It will likely crack your deck lid, rip itself off, destabilize the car, discolor, delaminate and add a giant parachute to your rear end even in the best case scenario. It will do nothing worthwhile, and make you the laughing stock of anyone that sees that horrible, putrid thing screwed into your deck. And when you realize this (after it rips itself off or you rip it off yourself), you will have multiple holes in your trunk lid and you will wish you never attempted this hairbrained move.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mordeth:
CammedC6520 (06-25-2017), jayyyw (06-25-2017), MTPZ06 (06-26-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 03:19 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by carefulnow
Which wing and supports are these?

Please tell me they're not a one off custom
LG. Extremely expensive but done correctly, and race-proven. I have also seen alot of custom fab jobs at the track that are done very, very well. I can post pics if anyone wants.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mordeth:
Hirohawa (06-25-2017), jayyyw (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 05:04 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

LG. Extremely expensive but done correctly, and race-proven. I have also seen alot of custom fab jobs at the track that are done very, very well. I can post pics if anyone wants.
Post away...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Racing wing to cheap? Track rookie