Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

What is the latest and greatest clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:39 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Love my Mantic triple
Old 07-24-2017, 08:49 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
You can say that again....some guys get that concept sooner than others.

I hate buyers remorse and/or regret. In fact I normally save longer now for a product Im psyched to own rather than buy something I might regret later. How often do you interact with that left pedal on any given drive or outing with the car??!! A premium clutch is a smart place to upgrade no different than any other mod you interface with constantly

My modded RPS BC2 clutch would not look out of place being removed from a million dollar Bugatti Veyron (not suggesting it would hold that type of power of course). Point I'm getting at is the quality and the materials and the workmanship is second to none IMO. It's the Super model of street strip clutches....a very exotic looking piece. Most everything else just looks like "regular" in comparison and the way the design works is fantastic. Cleaner faster shift are effortless....lighter shift effort all the time....no chatter at all....significant gains in RWHP due to such a low MOI but not enough to give you headaches driving it around. It would make close to 15 more RWHP compared to a stock LS7 or a McLoed unit, both of which are just too damn heavy. How much is a mod that adds 15 RWHP worth.....ALOT.....you need to look at this purchase as not just arguably the best clutch on the planet but also a performance upgrade at the very same time....all told with that considered I feel this clutch is a bargain priced where it is....you just have to be sharp enough to see all the inherent value it offers you.

Here is a good thread (minus a few yahoo's who posted in it) going over the merits of the "Mamofied" BC2 I sell.....great pictures so you can see what I mean about how unique and exotic the design is. Like anything else....the better stuff always costs more but pays you back in spades over the long haul and the years of enjoyment the better parts always provide.

A quick pic and a thread below with alot more detail and information

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ll-review.html

Cheers,
Tony
Now you have me thinking about not installing my LT1-S I just bought. It's a heavy clutch/flywheel. I don't have any shifting issues with the stock clutch as of right now but I only rev it out to 7k as my cam dies out around 66-6700 and I don't have very much faith in my valvetrain to rev it much higher.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:24 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Now you have me thinking about not installing my LT1-S I just bought. It's a heavy clutch/flywheel. I don't have any shifting issues with the stock clutch as of right now but I only rev it out to 7k as my cam dies out around 66-6700 and I don't have very much faith in my valvetrain to rev it much higher.
The weight of the discs themselves play a big part in this and your moving from a heavy set-up to a heavy set-up so I dont think you will see any improvements in the ability to shift quickly but it probably wont feel any worse either.

Like I said, this clutch offers alot when you start breaking down all the perks it offers and assigning some type of value to them. Hell just the reduction in mass and MOI is worth 12-14 RWHP over stock or a heavy aftermarket unit like you mention. How much would you generally pay for a mod that picks you up that kind of power. I will tell you this that $75 a pony is "par" or perhaps cheap depending on how much power your already making....that's easily worth a grand or so simply viewing that part of the purchase which you might designate under the "power gained from the swap" department (then there are all the other perks related to the various improvements in shifting effort and ability to speed shift etc.).

You get alot for your money if your willing to spend a little more....that's really the bottom line and like most purchases, that offers the end user more value in the end. Value isn't about spending less, its about getting more. In fact I find there is almost always more value in spending more(regarding purchases in general) if your spending your money wisely.

Anyway....like I said....your particular situation shouldn't really feel much different....the largest improvement your making is the ability to hold more power. Would have loved to help you with the modded RPS....if for some reason your thinking about it feel free to contact me and we can get on the phone and discuss in more detail.

-Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 07-25-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:46 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Doug, how does the organic 9000 hold up? No drag racing, just street use. I've convinced myself the 9000 organic and standard weight FW will be my next clutch.
I run the Mantic 9000 twin organic disc for two simple reason, I do not track my car and wanted to eliminate the chances of chatter. The organic disc is very much like the oem LS7/3 clutch, however Mantic has a more positive feel of engagement, more holding power and forgiving. No chatter or rattle, just smooth engagement. For street use it is a great clutch and holds up well, for track go with cerematlic disc, as others have said.

The Mantic 9000 kit comes with a smaller diameter flywheel to match the clutch assembly which reduces weight, a good thing. You do not use the standard weight FW.

Doug at ECS will included a pilot bushing and remote bleeder with his kits. And your good to go!

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 07-25-2017 at 12:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (08-02-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 02:04 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B.
1) The BC2 for the C6 is not $2800. You can find them for many hundreds less. Even Tony's CNC machinced version is less.

2) Did you personally install these "failed BC2s"? How can you assure that they weren't improperly installed? Seems like you have to go out on a limb to make that kind of statement.
Consider I can get any ofthe clutches i listed previously for well over 500$ less than a BC2, which I have seen fail on cars I've personally done other work on. Disks were worn very prematurely and the purchasers were told "working as intended" by the manufacturer. Yeah, screw that.

Love the fact that you challenge my or my friend's technical ability to follow correct clutch installation procedure. Lets just say that person has put together motors worth more than your entire car. As if I had to ASSURE you that they're garbage so that you can feel better about the money you already spent. Shows how full of yourself you are. Hows that for a limb? Anyways... sorry to the rest of the readers for the rant. I see the same two or three goon squads in just about every other thread and whenever someone disagrees, they question their competency.

For those who care... talked with Geoff at Mantic today trying to get one of the solid hub twins so I can road course it.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:21 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

I have installed a mantic or few very good clutch, I went with a spec stage 3 plus this time I do have a used rps clutch that I'm considering rebuilding since they are rebuildable. I had the spec in my track trans am lasted me 6 years spec was amazed when they looked up my purchase date. Lol they gave me a discount....but yea AMP over here in Grand Prairie use the specs on there turbo cars....
Old 07-25-2017, 01:13 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
I run the Mantic 9000 twin organic disc for two simple reason, I do not track my car and wanted to eliminate the chances of chatter. The organic disc is very much like the oem LS7/3 clutch, however Mantic has a more positive feel of engagement, more holding power and forgiving. No chatter or rattle, just smooth engagement. For street use it is a great clutch and holds up well, for track go with cerematlic disc, as others have said.

The Mantic 9000 kit comes with a smaller diameter flywheel to match the clutch assembly which reduces weight, a good thing. You do not use the standard weight FW.

Doug at ECS will included a pilot bushing and remote bleeder with his kits. And your good to go!
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-01-2017, 01:53 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by freddyvette
Consider I can get any ofthe clutches i listed previously for well over 500$ less than a BC2, which I have seen fail on cars I've personally done other work on. Disks were worn very prematurely and the purchasers were told "working as intended" by the manufacturer. Yeah, screw that.

Love the fact that you challenge my or my friend's technical ability to follow correct clutch installation procedure. Lets just say that person has put together motors worth more than your entire car. As if I had to ASSURE you that they're garbage so that you can feel better about the money you already spent. Shows how full of yourself you are. Hows that for a limb? Anyways... sorry to the rest of the readers for the rant. I see the same two or three goon squads in just about every other thread and whenever someone disagrees, they question their competency.

For those who care... talked with Geoff at Mantic today trying to get one of the solid hub twins so I can road course it.
I'll be happy to report back on my BC2, if mine is a dud I will let other people know. I don't think it will be. If you take the time to look at my questions you'll see I wasn't coming after you or your credibility. I was trying to ask "how do you assure that something was installed properly" if you werent there. If you installed them, or witnessed them, your observations are credible. I get it. It just seems like it would be going out on a limb to proclaim something was correctly installed if you did not personally attest to this. From my perspective, I would never go out on a limb and argue about something being correctly installed if I did not personally witness it. Even if a professional mechanic was doing the wrenching. Things can be improbable, that's ok, but lets not rule out error. Heck, even doctors can screw up and leave surgical tools inside someones stomach. And let's face it, measuring TOB distance is not an everyday common measurement. It would be very understandable for a person to botch the job and end up with a clutch issue.

One thing is for sure, no other clutch has as much love/hate as the BC line of clutches.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:11 AM
trogdor
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
The weight of the discs themselves play a big part in this and your moving from a heavy set-up to a heavy set-up so I dont think you will see any improvements in the ability to shift quickly but it probably wont feel any worse either.

Like I said, this clutch offers alot when you start breaking down all the perks it offers and assigning some type of value to them. Hell just the reduction in mass and MOI is worth 12-14 RWHP over stock or a heavy aftermarket unit like you mention. How much would you generally pay for a mod that picks you up that kind of power. I will tell you this that $75 a pony is "par" or perhaps cheap depending on how much power your already making....that's easily worth a grand or so simply viewing that part of the purchase which you might designate under the "power gained from the swap" department (then there are all the other perks related to the various improvements in shifting effort and ability to speed shift etc.).

You get alot for your money if your willing to spend a little more....that's really the bottom line and like most purchases, that offers the end user more value in the end. Value isn't about spending less, its about getting more. In fact I find there is almost always more value in spending more(regarding purchases in general) if your spending your money wisely.

Anyway....like I said....your particular situation shouldn't really feel much different....the largest improvement your making is the ability to hold more power. Would have loved to help you with the modded RPS....if for some reason your thinking about it feel free to contact me and we can get on the phone and discuss in more detail.

-Tony

question for you tony,

if you gain HP from dropping rotating mass... do you not lose torque in that exchange?
Old 08-02-2017, 02:55 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by trogdor
question for you tony,

if you gain HP from dropping rotating mass... do you not lose torque in that exchange?
No....you pick up both (torque and horsepower). You have to as one is simply mathematically derived from the other.

Basically your engine output isn't being robbed of the "energy" required to accelerate a larger/heavier mass hanging off the end of the crankshaft.....that freed up extra TQ/power is then transmitted to the wheels and tires because of the conservation laws of energy....it all must be accounted for.

This is why the move to a clutch of this type of design adds legit power and torque to the rear wheels. You just freed up some parasitic loss that your former clutch/driveline ate up essentially.

Hope this helps

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 08-02-2017 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

To me that's the best kind of power gain as it requires no bigger cams, no more fuel, or heat, etc...
Old 08-02-2017, 05:37 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
To me that's the best kind of power gain as it requires no bigger cams, no more fuel, or heat, etc...
No doubt.....your freeing up power that already exists and channeling it to better places (your rear wheels!)....LOL

-Tony
Old 08-04-2017, 11:02 AM
trogdor
Melting Slicks

ok so youre not actually gaining from losing rotating mass... it is a more efficient clutch and you are taking less drive train loss... i get you sir thankyou for your response
Old 08-04-2017, 11:14 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

ok so youre not actually gaining from losing rotating mass... it is a more efficient clutch and you are taking less drive train loss... i get you sir thankyou for your response
No....you are gaining/benefitting from the reduction in rotating mass.....which is essentially making your driveline more efficient.....as in it will show a lower percentage loss from flywheel HP to rear wheel HP (and torque) due to the fact you arent wasting energy accelerating all that extra mass in a heavier clutch/flywheel design.

Did I explain it better now?.....LOL

Hope so! =)

Regards,
Tony
Old 08-05-2017, 12:47 AM
trogdor
Melting Slicks

i do see what youre saying tony and i have no doubt that you are the man in the know... my confusion stems from a member here used to run a speedshop in knoxville TN and he took me to pick up his crank at a machine shop that he had some work done to... he had the lobes knife edged... said it shaved off several pounds off the crank which would make the rotating mass lighter and would give him more horsepower but he said the trade off was he would lose torque?... so i figured this would be the same math or was he incorrect... i never got final results from him on his car as i have moved around a lot and lost touch with him
Old 08-05-2017, 12:52 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

i do see what youre saying tony and i have no doubt that you are the man in the know... my confusion stems from a member here used to run a speedshop in knoxville TN and he took me to pick up his crank at a machine shop that he had some work done to... he had the lobes knife edged... said it shaved off several pounds off the crank which would make the rotating mass lighter and would give him more horsepower but he said the trade off was he would lose torque?... so i figured this would be the same math or was he incorrect... i never got final results from him on his car as i have moved around a lot and lost touch with him
He was misinformed

It would have freed up torque and HP.....engines only make torque btw....HP is a mathematical calculation derived from TQ (and how much of it) factored in with RPM's.

In simpler terms, HP is basically the rate at which "X" torque value is applied.

-Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 08-05-2017 at 03:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:48 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

said it shaved off several pounds off the crank which would make the rotating mass lighter and would give him more horsepower but he said the trade off was he would lose torque?
You can validate this yourself if you have access to a dyno and a heavier wheel/tire combo for one of your vehicles. A lower horsepower car makes this easier to see. Dyno the car with lighter wheels, then put on the heavier wheels and dyno again. You will see a loss of horsepower. The same thing happens with other components in the drivetrain, including the clutch.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:57 AM
trogdor
Melting Slicks

thankyou very much for the replies.

i have learned quite a bit today

Last edited by trogdor; 08-05-2017 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Like Tony has been saying, HP is a measurement of torque over time for IC Engines. It is a bit different in the electrical world.

It's always a good thing to eliminate parasitic losses whenever you can. Windage for example, is one to control and get a few "free" ponies. All those little drops of oil hitting a crankshaft can, and does reduce power output. So we do what we can to reduce this, like limit oil to the top end, install valley standoffs to get oil to drain to the pan away from the camshaft (first gen blocks), knife edge counter weights, and install crank scrapers.

If you have an engine on a dyno, and do nothing more than swap out a flywheel with a flex plate (for use with auto trans), and spin both, the engine with the flex plate will make more power (and also rev quicker).

Downside to a light weight flywheel with an engine that has a rowdy camshaft, is low rpm damping from reversion induced missfire/coughing is reduced. A heavier flywheel can help tame this down a bit.

Quick Reply: What is the latest and greatest clutch?