Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Service Traction control light comes, Activates ABS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:07 AM
F22Viper
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Traction control light comes, Activates ABS

My 2001 c5, Service Traction control light comes, Activates ABS while driving. The Dealership said that my Steering Angler Sensor was bad, so I had them replace it. However, the problem continued. So they said that my Yaw Rate Sensor was bad, so I had them replace my Yaw Rate Sensor. However, my Traction control light comes on and still Activates my ABS while driving . However, if I manually turn off my Traction Control, the ABS Will Not Activate while I'm driving.

Before I take it back to the Dealership can anyone Help me, Please.... Thanks Stan

Last edited by F22Viper; 07-27-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added more calification
Old 07-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

I have a 2010 ZR1 that had this problem after cam install. Turned out to be front wheel sensor. Anyone with a good scanner should be able to tell what codes are showing. It's amazing how all the sensors intertwine with one another. I have a friend with a snapon scanner that told me what the problems were before I took it to the shop(he does't work on corvettes). It took about 2 months to get the car back. They didn't want to replace the wheel sensor because they were not sure if it would fix the traction control problem. After making them a deal on replacing the sensor, problem solved. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
F22Viper (08-02-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 07:04 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I see you have a C5, the C6 issues that cause this are battery going out, if miss in idle/driving, spark plug wire not fully on, wheel sensor, blue BUS connection under passengers side floor below fuse box, BCM, EBCM and there is a sensor in the steering wheel that has caused some members to have their wheels lock up. Like mentioned above, get a code and it should help you, although the dealership should have done that...
The following users liked this post:
F22Viper (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 01:54 PM
F22Viper
3rd Gear

Default RE: Service Traction control light comes, Activates ABS

Originally Posted by psp6158
I see you have a C5, the C6 issues that cause this are battery going out, if miss in idle/driving, spark plug wire not fully on, wheel sensor, blue BUS connection under passengers side floor below fuse box, BCM, EBCM and there is a sensor in the steering wheel that has caused some members to have their wheels lock up. Like mentioned above, get a code and it should help you, although the dealership should have done that...
-------------------------------
So are you saying that it could be the wheel positioning sensor (Steering Wheel) that has gone bad again... What's a Good Code Reader I can buy?

Also, if the fuse is blown, want the Traction Light stay on?

Thanks Stan
Old 08-02-2017, 03:27 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I had the dreaded EBCM issue in my low mileage C5Z back in the day. Caused all the TCS & ABS bells 'n whistles to light up. It was a simple fix, and the car was only down for a matter of a few days while a I pulled the EBCM and sent out for a rebuild. There's a crappy relay in the EBCM that fails quite regularly. Fix was something like $50. This may be your issue...but yes, a bad battery can cause all of these warnings as well. Been there done that too.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:56 PM
F22Viper
3rd Gear

Default RE: Service Traction control light comes, Activates ABS

I had the EBCM Rebuilt by a recommended place call AbsFixer (Brandon). They repaired the EBCM and upgraded with some type of surge protection, ($200 was better than $500-600+). I have 145k miles and this just started I believe right after I had a routine alignment done at the dealership. I also had my seats removed and car detailed at about the same time.... The battery is new Red Top Optima... Again as long as I turn off the Traction Control that car drives fine. But if I leave it on, the ABS will activate, Traction Control light will come on and it does matter what speed you are going slow or fast. It will scare the Heck out of you... Thanks for the info, I really do appreciate it... If you can suggest anything else I'm open... Thanks... Be Blessed...

Stan
Old 08-02-2017, 05:40 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

bad wheel sensor or weak battery or bad starter pulling too much power from the battery. several things can cause this. But I'd bet its one of the three I mentioned

Last edited by rabrooks; 08-02-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:53 PM
Keith Tedford
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rabrooks
bad wheel sensor or weak battery or bad starter pulling too much power from the battery. several things can cause this. But I'd bet its one of the three I mentioned
An old thread but this may still help some because lots of cars are running around with 6-8 year old batteries that are not quite up to snuff any more. Get the battery with the highest CCA rating that you can get. 700 CCA is available. During starting, if the voltage drops below something like 9.8 volts, the computer doesn't pick up all the info from all the sensors properly and can go a little foggy brained. That's how it was explained to me in layman terms.

Last edited by Keith Tedford; 07-14-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:55 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I had this problem in my C5. It was intermittent for a year or two. There are 4-5 grounds in the engine compartment and under the battery. I removed them all, sanded down the contacts, sprayed them with electrical wirer cleaner, and sanded paint where the ground poles attach in the engine bay. The grounds do get corrosive between each other and don't look it, but it can reduce the contact surface. clean them off good with sand paper.

I also disconnected the wheel sensors for each wheel, cleaned them also for corrosion, and sprayed them with electrical wire cleaner. Then blew them out with compressed air.

The problem never came back.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:22 PM
gint
3rd Gear

99 Coupe. I had the lights coming on intermittently and with greater frequency. Re-starting the car cleared it, but still very annoying. Cleaned all the grounds. Good to do but did not correct the issue. Then disconnected the sensor wire connectors at each wheel. sprayed them electrical connector cleaner and dried them with compressed air. It was one of the front ones because after doing the front wheel sensors, no more error message last several times I have had it out..
I track the car about 6 days a year so it creates a lot of brake dust up front. perhaps some dust worked its way into the connectors.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Traction control light comes, Activates ABS

Quick Reply: Service Traction control light comes, Activates ABS