Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Barn Car Tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:13 PM
Aggiecatcher
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Barn Car Tips

I'm the new owner of a 2006 z06 with 34K miles on it. It's been pretty much sitting in storage for 5 years (although it was periodically started and run a little), and isn't ready to be driven quite yet as I have to clean up a title issue before I can register it. It started, after a new battery, drives great, sounds great, and it looks perfect. Needs some new rubber, and I'm sure an oil change. This is my first Corvette, and my first American sports car (super car really). I'm pretty excited, and it's torture having this beauty in my garage and not being able to drive it.

I'm looking for some advice on what mechanical work needs to be done on a car that has been sitting for so long? Suspension work? Tune up? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:05 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

All I would do is the new tires and change all fluids. You say it runs good so I would just add some sea foam to the fuel and drive it.
The following users liked this post:
Aggiecatcher (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 07:15 PM
Aggiecatcher
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Texasthunder
All I would do is the new tires and change all fluids. You say it runs good so I would just add some sea foam to the fuel and drive it.
I've only driven it the 20 miles to my garage, but it ran great, and sounds like a monster.

No squeaks, rattles, or anything on the first drive. I was planning on the tires and fluids. Didn't come with any manuals, so I'm doing my research on the service intervals, etc.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

<Broken record>

Check valve guides

Check valve guides

Check valve guides

</Broken record>

And welcome.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 08-21-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:02 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

Old 08-22-2017, 12:10 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Change oil, clutch fluid, anti-freeze. Get heads checked. I would also have someone run a check to see what recalls have been done if its been sitting 5 years, just to make sure all have been done.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Aggiecatcher
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Change oil, clutch fluid, anti-freeze. Get heads checked. I would also have someone run a check to see what recalls have been done if its been sitting 5 years, just to make sure all have been done.
I've been reading about the recalls..seems like more than usual. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:54 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

what climate was it stored in ??? Drive it !!!!!! (we have an 06 Z, love it !!!!)(beast !!)
Old 08-24-2017, 03:17 AM
Mike44665
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

If you care to, I'd be interested in the title issue. Location, actual issue, and I hope this doesn't ruin you day, but did you...... "I'll give you the cash when I see the title". That nine tenths of the law bullshit don't work.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:07 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Congratulations!!! This is going to take a lot of patients on your part. First, Look into that title issue before you deal with the mechanics. Second, read upon the head issue, it is real and no joke, forget the wiggle test and just get the heads addressed, you will enjoy driving it not thinking that any second your Z will implode, you will not get a warning when it happens. do your fluid change while getting heads fixed could save you some $$$$ as the fluids will be lost during head fix anyways. Hope you got a good enough deal on it that the heads and tires are not hurting the bank. I also purchased my first American sports car this year a 2008 Z06 and pretty much did what I stated above other then adding headers while I replaced the head. I went with American Heritage Performance package 4, polished/ported and milled heads. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and did the work myself with only having brake work, oil changes and water pumps as past experience. There are great write-ups on the subject here on the CF, follow them, label your parts and you can't go wrong. Assuming this is not your daily driver as a reference I took my time taking it apart, about 10 hours labeling, organizing and cleaning things as I went. I can't tell you how many of those hours were spent on one single alternator bracket bolt that was a pain in the a$$ and I read all the tips and tricks on how to deal with it. all-in-all It took me a total of 4 weeks, heads took way longer then I was quoted, quoted 7 business days cause porting and milling and I did the fast turn around head swap. Kohle at AHP had some staffing issues (hopefully he resolved that by now) but he was helpful and answered all my questions. While waiting for my parts I painted wheel hubs, cleaned rim barrels, collected all my fluids and ordered headers. Reassembly took about 8 hours, again much of that time working on that damn alternator bolt, it was just as hard getting in as getting out. All-in-all, I was glad I did the work myself, not a single regret and would do it again. And, don't forget those lash caps!!!!!!!
Aggiecatcher (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Aggiecatcher
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike44665
If you care to, I'd be interested in the title issue. Location, actual issue, and I hope this doesn't ruin you day, but did you...... "I'll give you the cash when I see the title". That nine tenths of the law bullshit don't work.
I'm an attorney, so, no the seller didn't get any of my cash and won't until title is cleared. Someone filed a fraudulent transfer of title, and tried to take possession of the car from storage. The fake buyer disappeared, never filed anything else, and never tried to get the car again. They likely were going to flip it to an innocent buyer. The registered name turned out to be an innocent lady, and the address for her was not her home. The state investigators confirmed the fraud, but told the seller it was a civil matter and to clear title in court...the seller couldn't afford an attorney at the time, couldn't sell it with title screwed up, and thus, I'm getting a great deal. I filed a lawsuit on the seller's behalf, the fraudsters (if we can ever find them) will be in hot water both in my civil suit and under state criminal laws (felony to file a fraudulent pink in this state). I'm not spending any money on the car until it's cleared up. Will be about 90 days. It was stored for 4 years in a climate controlled auto storage facility, but the last year it was covered in a driveway.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Aggiecatcher
Intermediate

Originally Posted by itomh
Congratulations!!! This is going to take a lot of patients on your part. First, Look into that title issue before you deal with the mechanics. Second, read upon the head issue, it is real and no joke, forget the wiggle test and just get the heads addressed, you will enjoy driving it not thinking that any second your Z will implode, you will not get a warning when it happens. do your fluid change while getting heads fixed could save you some $$$$ as the fluids will be lost during head fix anyways. Hope you got a good enough deal on it that the heads and tires are not hurting the bank. I also purchased my first American sports car this year a 2008 Z06 and pretty much did what I stated above other then adding headers while I replaced the head. I went with American Heritage Performance package 4, polished/ported and milled heads. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and did the work myself with only having brake work, oil changes and water pumps as past experience. There are great write-ups on the subject here on the CF, follow them, label your parts and you can't go wrong. Assuming this is not your daily driver as a reference I took my time taking it apart, about 10 hours labeling, organizing and cleaning things as I went. I can't tell you how many of those hours were spent on one single alternator bracket bolt that was a pain in the a$$ and I read all the tips and tricks on how to deal with it. all-in-all It took me a total of 4 weeks, heads took way longer then I was quoted, quoted 7 business days cause porting and milling and I did the fast turn around head swap. Kohle at AHP had some staffing issues (hopefully he resolved that by now) but he was helpful and answered all my questions. While waiting for my parts I painted wheel hubs, cleaned rim barrels, collected all my fluids and ordered headers. Reassembly took about 8 hours, again much of that time working on that damn alternator bolt, it was just as hard getting in as getting out. All-in-all, I was glad I did the work myself, not a single regret and would do it again. And, don't forget those lash caps!!!!!!!
Not my daily driver, and won't be, but I'm not that mechanically inclinded. I've rebuilt a few single cylinder motorcycles, and worked on my old 71 Blazer, but those are easy (not a computer chip in any of them). Any idea on the cost of the head swap?
Old 08-24-2017, 10:19 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Budget $2K for the heads.
Aggiecatcher (08-25-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 03:37 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Aggiecatcher
Not my daily driver, and won't be, but I'm not that mechanically inclinded. I've rebuilt a few single cylinder motorcycles, and worked on my old 71 Blazer, but those are easy (not a computer chip in any of them). Any idea on the cost of the head swap?
For the heads budget between $1,500 and $3,500 for the heads (depending on what all you want done to them).
If your paying someone to do the swap your looking at $1,000-$1,500 in labor to R&R the heads (plus head bolts, head gaskets, etc..).

We sell a head install kit that contains everything you need (or the shop doing the labor) will need to complete the LS7 head swap correctly and with the same parts we would use here in our shop if we were doing the swap.
If your a DIY guy we offer support as part of the sale of our heads are more than happy to answer reassembly questions and share any tips.

310-326-2399
or HP@americanheritageperformance.com

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 08-28-2017 at 03:37 AM.
Aggiecatcher (08-28-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Barn Car Tips

Quick Reply: Barn Car Tips