Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Fun weekend at Street Car Takeover-Tucson

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 12:49 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Default Fun weekend at Street Car Takeover-Tucson

Had a good time running the car at the Street Car Takeover-Tucson event this past weekend, participating in the roll racing and test 'n tune 1/4 mile drags. Friday night was strictly roll racing, but we had light rain showers through out the evening which caused the coordinators to shut it down early. Made 6 runs with starting speeds ranging from 35-40 mph, with terminal trap speeds ranging from 132 to 135 MPH. Saturday afternoon the event allowed roll racing in the early afternoon, and dig races later in the evening.

I did 5 roll races on Saturday against another friend's C6 Z06 which is close to the same RWHP and had recently won several 1/2 mile events in the N/A classes We did 3 runs with starting speeds at 40 MPH, then 2 runs at 50 MPH rolls. I ended up taking all 5 races, but our last race with a 50 MPH roll start had me starting in 2nd, and was the closest race of the 5, with me catching him at the finish and winning by a nose at .02 seconds !!!

Later that evening, I finally had a chance to try launching the car since the installation and repairs of the McCleod RXT1200 I had CPR perform earlier this year. THe clutch engagement is way different than what I had with my Katech ZR1 setup, so it's going to take some time to find that perfect release point and launch RPM. I also have a Lingenfelter LNC-2000 installed off the clutch switch, acting as a one step RPM switch to keep me more consistent with my launch RPM. I had it set at 3500 RPM, which proved to be too low (for my taste and launch technique). I bogged both runs and could only muster a 1.61 and 1.67 60', which is pretty poor for me given my past history with launching the car. (my PB being a 1.49).
THe other nice feature of having the LNC-2000 is that I can perform NLS going forward. It's going to take some re-learning on my part to not want to lift the throttle on shifts as I've done for over 8 years now, and I found myself lifting on the 1-2 and 2-3, but NLS on the 3-4 shifts.

Additionally, I suspect I have a bad plugwire which cost me some power at the beginning of the runs, but it's just a guess as I didn't bring my HP Tuner Pro setup to perform any data logging. My 1/8th mile trap and ET was way down from my previous runs, and in fact were equivalent to what I had run when I was stock !!!!

With that said, with a 5985' DA at 5:00 p.m , I ran a best of 10.81@133.27 on the rather poor 1.67 60' . 1/8th mile was off at 7.1@97 mph , but I think It's ignition related. I'll have to data log to confirm, and coincidence or not, the alternator took a dump Sunday morning on my drive back to Phoenix.

My two 1/4 runs at SCT-Tucson 9-9-2017

Hopefully I can sneak in a few more TnT 'S at WHP to practice my launches and get my NLS technique nailed down before racing season begins in October. Given the weird 7.1@97 1/8th performance and the
mile high plus DA, I was pleased with the 133+ trap speeds.

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 09-12-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Fun weekend at Street Car Takeover-Tucson