Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] MAMO/ERL 440CI Complete Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 08:22 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

She sounds great Steve!!! She looks pretty ready to me!
The following users liked this post:
Racingswh (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 08:39 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
She sounds great Steve!!! She looks pretty ready to me!
Taking it out this weekend for a little shakedown at NJMP Lightning and to see how that gearing works in the real world.

Finally.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:43 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Sounds wicked Steve......just waiting on the in car video next!!!

Congrats on finally getting this far though

=)

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 06-19-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Racingswh (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:09 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Sounds wicked Steve......just waiting on the in car video next!!!

Congrats on finally getting this far though

=)
Thanks Tony!! I will have definitely have some in car footage from this coming weekend!!

I am headed back to the dyno Thursday for a final tune now the exhaust has been finished and routed out the back.

Curious to see where temps fall this weekend in the heat with the new nearly 3" core Dewitts radiator and Improved Racing oil cooler. I am expecting good results.

I can't wait to get the thing sorted and start putting down some real laps in it!!
Old 06-20-2018, 07:50 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Sounds bad *** !!!!
Racingswh (06-21-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 08:14 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Congrats on the big power. Even if that's an optimistic dyno, the torque is huge for your purposes.
Racingswh (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:54 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Josh B.
Congrats on the big power. Even if that's an optimistic dyno, the torque is huge for your purposes.
Thanks Josh! If the weather cooperates I am going to finally see how the thing works tomorrow.

This was just this morning getting the car set up for the 3 day event starting tomorrow. One last dyno pull after the exhaust was routed to make sure everything was still good. The first pull was made with the exhaust coming out through turn downs just before the differential. This pull is with the exhaust routed out the back through the tips.

That's the only change made to the car. No change in tuning whatsoever. Dyno's to me are tuning tools and when you're on the same dyno can indicate what difference a particular change made.

As always disregard the peak numbers. Probably WAY high and won't know for a few weeks but the changes shown are REAL.

Look at this!! Very interesting!!

Peak torque was down 4.5 lbs. AVERAGE TORQUE was UP 13.8

Peak hp was down 8.8 but AVERAGE HP was UP 21.5

When it starts to make power was moved earlier which I regard as a significant improvement also!!!

Anyway, the car is in the trailer. We are going to watch it very carefully all weekend!! Some incar video and a first performance report will follow next week.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Old 06-21-2018, 03:50 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

That looks killer !!!!
Racingswh (06-25-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 07:51 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Any pics of how your wing is mounted?
Old 06-25-2018, 09:30 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
Any pics of how your wing is mounted?
I do. Here is what I could find.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:15 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
I do. Here is what I could find.
Thanks for the pics! That a 100 times better than the deck mount you always see with the APR wings. Well done!
Racingswh (06-25-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 10:49 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

So it's been an interesting journey to say the least. This season has been spent in the other car so this did not get full attention but this is as close as it has been to finished. We had it together in June for it's shakedown event. The installers had capped off the top end of the motor like it has a traditional dry sump which it does not. Operationally it's essentially the same as the factory system except for the scavenge "helper" pump.

Capping off all the PCV ports created pressure in the engine and the only place it could go was out the DS tank vent can. It would fill in less than 4 laps so about 6 minutes of running. My first session was in the rain and when I pulled it back into the paddock as I got to where we were stationed the DS tank vent can started to overflow. It looked like I was driving the Exon Valdez and I had just run it aground.

With the help of David at MMS we took some extreme measures as David would attest. I am happy to say at the dyno session today the measures seemed to have worked. We drove it on the dyno testing part throttle drivability and checking performance in each gear. It ran for 20 minutes and made 5 full pulls in that time. I am happy to report not one single drop of oil or condensation in the vent can or any other can.

It makes exactly the amount of power I expected it to cammed and tuned as conservatively as it is running on 93 octane. So finally I have it to a point where it makes exactly the power I was after and the oil control issue seems to be resolved. It's a good day.

Here is the dyno chart from today as well as some pictures of the one off, completely custom MMS "WILDER" system!!

Thick green line is from today (don't know why it lost the signal momentarily?) and the thin line is the power it made with the previous build. Same dyno.

For me the best part is the gearing and how it continues to carry the power now whereas before it just ran out of steam. At 7100 rpm it will go 72 in first, 102 in second, 136 in third which I feel is going to be THE game changer (In the other car I am shifting into 5th about then and it makes less power than this does) and 165 in 4th. Shifting wastes time and not having to go up to 4th and then immediately back to 3rd in so many places is going to result in lower lap times I believe.

Now on to dialing in the rest of the car over the Winter and plan for the cage install.

Last edited by Racingswh; 10-16-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:33 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Nice lines and hardware. Great power band.

Good luck when you get to run it on track.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:19 AM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice flat torque curve!! What valve gear are you running?
Old 10-17-2018, 01:25 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Nice lines and hardware. Great power band.

Good luck when you get to run it on track.
Thank you Dave! I may take a trip South. I want to give the chassis a little setup attention before I go.

Originally Posted by HC Mechanic
Nice flat torque curve!! What valve gear are you running?
Should work pretty well for what we use it for. Even the old build was great on the track but just didn't carry the torque and hp long enough. It was cool to see the old build dyno curve overlaid with the new.

MMS Yella Terra Rockers, .650 PAC spring and ti retainers, 3/8 Manton Pushrods, hollow valves, Johnson short travel lifters
Old 10-18-2018, 06:50 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,282 Likes on 927 Posts

Is your afr accurate? I know its good to fatten them up when beating on a roadcourse so just curious

Get notified of new replies

To MAMO/ERL 440CI Complete Build

Old 10-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Is your afr accurate? I know its good to fatten them up when beating on a roadcourse so just curious
YES.....LOL

It's painfully fat.....to the point of potentially hurting things more than helping in an N/A combination....just too much fuel.

(In a boosted car on the road course this can be helpful to reduce unusually high IAT's from the overheated blower but that's not really applicable in an N/A situation with a good CAI design)

Also this tune has really soft timing (low 20's). This engine has alot more potential when Steve is ready to tap into it

We have been exchanging emails over the last few days discussing this. Its mid 500's TQ all day long and low 600's at the wheels (on this particular dyno) and even those numbers would be with a relatively safe tune.

He has been busy dialing in a bunch of things with the new combo.....Im sure at some point we will get to see a better representation of this engines potential and how it runs on the racetrack when Steve is ready to let the reigns out with a different tune-up

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 10-18-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Racingswh (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 08:42 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
It is accurate.

It is correct you fatten them up to be a bit safer for roadcourse work but this is WAY TOO fat for an NA engine. I come from the 450 rwhp 2.0 liter turbo world and we used to run them 11.5 to 1.

If we wanted more power this tune could / should be at 22-24 degrees of timing and 11.8 to 12.5 to 1 depending on the octane we decide to run and still work for road racing. It's at 20-22 degrees and as you can see 11 to 1 or less AFR. It has a bunch more to give us, especially on race fuel.

Full disclosure is that the effin ECU was locked so we were dead in the water for manipulating the tune but that's not the primary reason I was there. Pissed as I was about the locked ECU the reason I was there was to find out if the thing was going to puke oil out of the dry sump tank vent can. I had put a lot of time, effort and $$ into coming up with a design that would control the oil for an entire tank of gas at full rip or about 40 minutes of running. That's why we ran it so long and made the in different gear pulls. So far the indications are very promising.

I also wanted to see what power it made on a Dynojet since that's what NASA uses to set the power levels for their classes. I want it to run in TT1/ST1 which has a 6 lbs per hp limit so even where it is now I will need to add ballast.

Bottom line is I said the word SAFE too many times to the original tuner it's mostly my fault he went overboard like he did. Why the ECU is now locked is anybody's guess?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:11 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
It is accurate.

It is correct you fatten them up to be a bit safer for roadcourse work but this is WAY TOO fat for an NA engine. I come from the 450 rwhp 2.0 liter turbo world and we used to run them 11.5 to 1.

If we wanted more power this tune could / should be at 22-24 degrees of timing and 11.8 to 12.5 to 1 depending on the octane we decide to run and still work for road racing. It's at 20-22 degrees and as you can see 11 to 1 or less AFR. It has a bunch more to give us, especially on race fuel.

Full disclosure is that the effin ECU was locked so we were dead in the water for manipulating the tune but that's not the primary reason I was there. Pissed as I was about the locked ECU the reason I was there was to find out if the thing was going to puke oil out of the dry sump tank vent can. I had put a lot of time, effort and $$ into coming up with a design that would control the oil for an entire tank of gas at full rip or about 40 minutes of running. That's why we ran it so long and made the in different gear pulls. So far the indications are very promising.

I also wanted to see what power it made on a Dynojet since that's what NASA uses to set the power levels for their classes. I want it to run in TT1/ST1 which has a 6 lbs per hp limit so even where it is now I will need to add ballast.

Bottom line is I said the word SAFE too many times to the original tuner it's mostly my fault he went overboard like he did. Why the ECU is now locked is anybody's guess?
The tuner locked it? Some will since they feel their tune parameters (within your damn ECU) are their intellectual property. If you're gonna do that...at least make it a good tune. Sheesh...

Last edited by MTPZ06; 10-18-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] MAMO/ERL 440CI Complete Build