Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Help me understand aftermarket expansion tanks

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 03:59 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Help me understand aftermarket expansion tanks

I am new to ZR1 ownership and plan on doing an aftermarket expansion tank to help with cooling but I don't understand what why an aftermarket one is better.

Is it just because of the larger size?
Is there any special maintenance with an aftermarket tank?
I notice that the Fasterproms tank mentions you can easily add ice. Can you not add ice to the factory tank?
Do I have to run ice through it all the time?

TIA
Old 12-08-2017, 12:46 PM
Bigjsn250
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

It does not replace, but simply adds capacity.

No special maintenance

You cannot add ice to the factory system

You do not need to run ice all the time, it melts really quickly. You would normally add ice right before a 1/4, 1/2 or one mile run.

The Fasterproms version goes in the engine compartment and is exposed to more heat than the Kong fender mount or trunk mount systems, but still helps keep temps down.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Proto X
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

It really helps with recovery time for Supercharger heat. It's kinda like boiling a cup of water vs a pot of water. Takes longer for more water to boil. I personally have the Kong tank. Great Guy! Great product! I was not sold on the placement of the fasterproms tank. I also didn't want a huge tank in the back of my car like others sell.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:08 PM
hammy_zr1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZF Six
I am new to ZR1 ownership and plan on doing an aftermarket expansion tank to help with cooling but I don't understand what why an aftermarket one is better.

Is it just because of the larger size?
Is there any special maintenance with an aftermarket tank?
I notice that the Fasterproms tank mentions you can easily add ice. Can you not add ice to the factory tank?
Do I have to run ice through it all the time?

TIA
I ran the kong expansion tank for a while, got brainwashed into running a rear ice tank. Honestly doesn’t make a difference unless it’s full of ice. Kong tank had the same results as a bigger ice tank in the back.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me understand aftermarket expansion tanks

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Help me understand aftermarket expansion tanks