Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Hinson shorter mounts issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:35 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Hinson shorter mounts issues - Now Solution Inside

Has anyone had an issue where the pan actually touches the spring after lowering the engine? Mine very clearly touches and is actually resting on the leaf. What the???? Anyone with the shorter Hinson mounts have an idea of what kind of clearance you had?

Here you can see how much further the would need to go to seat on the mount.... UGH...

Last edited by User Omega; 02-01-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:56 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Take a minute to use those fancy lifts boys. I want to see what others are seeing.

A side note here (I dont think it matters): My car is lowered. Could this cause the issue?

Those using these mounts: Are you stock ride height?
Old 01-31-2017, 10:40 PM
Johns67
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MSD and Hinson short mount installed for about a month now.
No issues with cowl clearance or any other sounds.
I would think if the leaf is touching the pan I would hear it.

Just a thought, I if you are on jack stands wheels hanging the leaf might deflect upward a bit more than with it loaded.
Stock ride height.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:16 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Johns67
MSD and Hinson short mount installed for about a month now.
No issues with cowl clearance or any other sounds.
I would think if the leaf is touching the pan I would hear it.

Just a thought, I if you are on jack stands wheels hanging the leaf might deflect upward a bit more than with it loaded.
Stock ride height.
Get the wheels back on and sit it on the ground
Once you load springs it should clear pan, I hope...
Old 02-01-2017, 11:12 AM
BOTTLE FEDvette
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Whis9
Get the wheels back on and sit it on the ground
Once you load springs it should clear pan, I hope...
this...when i have mine on the lift with their stander size engine mounts the spring hits the oil pan
Old 02-01-2017, 12:38 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

I just wonder how much weight is actually pressing up on the oil pan. The entire weight of this engine is on the spring right now and I would still have to tighten the nuts another 1/8" or more to get the mounts tight?

How much clearance do you have with the wheels on the ground?

Did you notice the motor weight on the spring before the engine mount before you cranked it down?

Couldn't this cause a knock sensor issue when I launch the car at the track and the front wheels unload?
Old 02-01-2017, 01:52 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

I called Hinson and they say this is normal. You have 2 choices. Add fender washers until you clear unspring or they say it is safe to install the bottom nuts in the mounts and set the car down on the ground to tighten the tops. It was advised not to tighten the mounts while the car was off the ground. I was be spacing with large fender washers. I didn't quite need the full 3/8" anyhow. Personally I wouldn't want that kind of pressure on the oil pan when the car is off the ground.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:52 PM
jammeejamm
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

that is what we did. bottom nuts first, then install the tops once back on the ground.

back on the ground it clears the pan.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:55 PM
ChevyCobb
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry in advance for my ignorance, but what are reasons for going with a shorter mount over stock other than manifold to cowl clearance?
Old 02-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChevyCobb
Sorry in advance for my ignorance, but what are reasons for going with a shorter mount over stock other than manifold to cowl clearance?
Clearance for our intakes
Old 02-01-2017, 07:40 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

He is correct. The only reason it was done was for intake clearance. I don't think it would actually help with anything else. I suppose it would put more weight closer to the ground but don't think it would matter.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:55 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

I thought a dremel and an hour fixed that clearance issue. Lots run stock mounts. Funny how some have zero MSD clearance issues at the firewall cowl area and others its almost wedged. Poor tolerances perhaps. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wantbluC6
I thought a dremel and an hour fixed that clearance issue. Lots run stock mounts. Funny how some have zero MSD clearance issues at the firewall cowl area and others its almost wedged. Poor tolerances perhaps. Good luck.
That is not really not my only reason this time. I am lowering it a bit to give myself more clearance between the hood and my direct port solenoids that are mounted on my MSD intake. This will just make it all easier and can give me some wiggle room.
The following users liked this post:
REDZED2 (02-05-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:18 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

And I am going to install a set as a preventative measure (stock mounts have a high failure rate, especially with headers).

And I would certainly do this mod before I took a dremel to my car. Lucky for me, my MSD fit without firewall clearance issues with the stock mounts.

Glad you figured it out OP; your thread had my attention.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 02-01-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:13 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Thanks Dan. I am with you. Unless I have to, I am not dremeling the car.

I made these 1/4" spacers that should get me to where the spring doesn't make contact unloaded. I milled a slot in them so I can slide them in instead of having to remove the brackets again.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:30 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Looks good.. My plan A included taking some measurements with the stock mounts in place, then potentially shimming the Hinson's to that height or possibly just slightly lower. I'm paranoid about changing the clearances of the headers to other components, reducing the clearance between the headers and the road and other potentially negative effects of lowering the engine.

Of course lowering the center of gravity of such a heavy component is all good so long as it doesn't create other problems.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 02-01-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:55 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

You would be in luck. Hinson actually makes an OEM height mount. That is what I took off to install this lowered version. I posted them up for sale on FB and they were gone within a couple hours. If I remember I will take a photo of how my headers and X pipe look lowered. Theoretically with the 1/4" spacer in there (2/8") I would be only lowering the car 1/8". I did not actually measure them but they look to be much more of a drop than 3/8" Look.

The buyer is picking them up Sunday so I will be able to measure them to be sure. I know for a fact that the shorter mount was a little over 61mm (2.42"). Stock height Hinson is 73mm (2.87) from what I found in a search. That would make this shorter mount damn near 1/2" shorter. If that is true then with spacers I am actually only lowering the engine 1/4".

**Some people have said that the Hinson OEM height mounts are actually slightly taller than OEM so its possible that the 3/8" shorter mount is coming down from a true OEM height? Who knows. I have no proof of that. I am just going to make it work and press forward.
The following users liked this post:
Dan_the_C5_Man (02-02-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Hinson shorter mounts issues

Old 02-02-2017, 12:34 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Perfect, please carefully measure and post. I already knew the "stock" height Hinson's were not for me. But to the point, we really don't know the delta between an in-tact loaded stock mount vs. the shorter Hinson mount.

I will try to make a point to measure my stock, loaded mounts before I pull it apart.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:43 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man

And I would certainly do this mod before I took a dremel to my car. Lucky for me, my MSD fit without firewall clearance issues with the stock mounts.

It only took a size of a dime on the firewall and not even close to all the way through. Just a little touch up. I did dremel the hell out of the MSD though.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:56 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

My Hinson mounts match this

Quick Reply: [Z06] Hinson shorter mounts issues