Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Mamo Build complete - positive review for Passion Performance Auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 06:09 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Mamo Build complete - positive review for Passion Performance Auto

Hey all,
I have your typical HCI build on my 08 3LZ C6Z with 11K miles, except probably a bit "overbuilt", directed by the master, Tony Mamo. I chose a very mild cam unlike many. For anyone that knows me, I am extremely **** about having a job done right. Thankfully, here in St. Louis, we have one of the best mechanics around. Tuning is a WHOLE different story. I have gone through so many tuners it's not even funny, and even reputable tuners miles away. Most of them spend 3-4 hours on it, dyno it, and call it a day, only to find out the car runs like ****. Now to be fair, most people would probably be completely satisfied with it, but my definition of "like stock" is really, like stock. Here is my complete modification list, and it's a very complete build IMO:

- Mamo Motorsports 265 cc LS7 Heads (TFS Casting) with upgrade .650 PAC spring and Ti Retainer, Hollow valve upgrade, 11.75 to 1 compression, heads milled to 67cc
- Yella Terra MMS LS7 Ultralite Shaftrocker
- Y/T Thick Valve cover gasket
- Rocker Shims and Exh bolt kit for YT rockers
- DeatshWerks flow matched 50lbs Injectors
- Cometic Head gaskets (pair) .040 thick LS7 style gaskets
- Manton custom length pushrods (Need zero lash measurements from installer)
- Johnson Link Bar Performance lifters w/ .093 limited plunger travel
- Custom camshaft 226/236 118+4 .629/.604
- Single Roller HD Timing Chain set w/ Torrington bearing (LS7 SNOUT)
- ARP Head bolts, balancer bolt and (3) 12.9 grade Cam bolts
- Cam plate and bolts
- HallTech 103 mm CAI
- Corsa Sport Exhaust
- Mamo ported MSD intake manifold with a Mamo ported OEM throttle body
- American Racing 1 7/8” long tube headers, with catted X pipe, ceramic coated
- Upgraded tunnel plate, with heat shield
- Mcleod RXT twin disc with billet steel flywheel
- GM OEM master cylinder
- GM slave cylinder
- Remote clutch bleeder
- 8 NGK TR6 plugs
- Hinson Engine / Tranny urethane mounts
- Bilstein DRM shocks
- C6 Pfadt Johnny O'Connell Sway Bars
- 160 degree thermostat
- MGW short throw shifter with 2 heat shield sheets
- LLUMAR clear bra, bumper, part of hood, fenders, rockers, side mirrors, door edges

A well respected member on here, Michael_D, suggested Greg Huggins as the tuner he would consider the best and most ****, and he works for Passion Performance Auto in Cashiers, NC. So I sent the car to them to have it tuned. Yes, I am ****. Everyone at the shop treated me like a family member, just a great group of guys. Greg will want the car at least 2 full days, and preferably 3 to complete the tune. He is as **** as I am - dials in the VE tables as well as the MAF tables perfectly. He also uses widebands on both cylinder banks. Anyways, when I received the car, it had a small issue with very slight bucking at light throttle under no load. After a couple of revisions, the problem is gone, and the car literally drives like stock. Seriously, like stock. It put down 551/510 to the tires SAE, which is plenty for me! I highly recommend them for anyone wanting a perfect, no corners cut tune. or any other performance work. And, of course, I highly recommend working with Tony for his incredible top end work.

http://www.passionperformanceauto.com/

Dyno is attached.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 95rtturbo; 03-31-2018 at 12:27 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by 95rtturbo:
Bad_AX (01-18-2018), BigVette427 (01-23-2018), Brandon619 (01-13-2018), dmartens (06-04-2018), Racingswh (01-13-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 06:36 PM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice build! What intake manifold and throttle body are you using, stock?
Old 01-12-2018, 06:38 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Oh, I left that out of my build.. It's the Mamo ported MSD with a Mamo ported OEM throttle body.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:35 PM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Very nice results. I think you hit the sweet spot for a no compromise package.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:38 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

And all of this achieved with the TWPC V2 !!!

(I know Tom the OP is laughing right now!!)

I should also mention this dyno is very stingy.....the give away is the low torque number and the tuner knew that and agreed right away.....I believe he mentioned stock C6Z06 cars lay down about 430 RWHP or so with lower than typical torque numbers as well.

I would say on a DynoJet Tom is really making closer to 535 RWTQ with this small a cam and decent compression....my high speed port design efficient heads and closer to 575 RWHP which is really stout with PERFECT driving manners and a 226 cam on a 118 LSA!!

Tom....at some point you really need to roll that car on another dyno locally....I will send you the $100 if you take the time out of your day to do it (seriously).....but I want to see it on a typical inertia style DynoJet.....a very common dyno that shouldn't be too hard to find. The dyno Greg uses is very stingy....like a stingy Mustang dyno!

Enjoy the car....I know we had alot of fun working together.....I would post the picture of you know who but Im not sure how well received it would be.....kinda an inside joke....LOL

Cheers!
Tony

PS....My Stealth MSD top and fitted red covers like totally stock!! Looks awesome....get us a better pic....that one is a bit too grainy!!

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-12-2018 at 11:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
95rtturbo (03-31-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 01:01 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

It's easy to tell by the detail in the modification list that you're a guy who pays attention to the details.

Congratulations on the build.
The following users liked this post:
95rtturbo (03-31-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 10:46 AM
newchevyman
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 68 Posts

Nice build. Did you forge the internals for future boost/nitrous...?
Old 01-13-2018, 02:12 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Thanks guys! Tony, I’ll get it dynoed at a local dyno here in the spring. I am done with power mods (I think 550 to the tires for the street is plenty!). I have spent a small fortune on this car, and I am just going to enjoy it. The only thing I may do is upgrade the head unit. I plan on keeping it for a long time.

Last edited by 95rtturbo; 03-31-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:30 PM
oicw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is probably the first build I've seen that I'd like to copy, part for part!

I too, want absolutely stock drive-ability. By that, I mean pulling a small hill in 6th at 1400 rpm. Most dyno charts won't even show anything below 3000 rpm, much less below 2000.

Seeing the healthy 350 lb-ft @ 1000 rpm (factoring what Tony said about the conservative dyno) gives me FULL confidence.

Been reading through numerous Mamo builds lately, and all are absolutely amazing. However, most owners chose fairly wild cams (understandably so). I'm not much of a drag racer; more into road course and canyon carving, which I think this setup is perfect for.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:37 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Originally Posted by oicw
This is probably the first build I've seen that I'd like to copy, part for part!

I too, want absolutely stock drive-ability. By that, I mean pulling a small hill in 6th at 1400 rpm. Most dyno charts won't even show anything below 3000 rpm, much less below 2000.

Seeing the healthy 350 lb-ft @ 1000 rpm (factoring what Tony said about the conservative dyno) gives me FULL confidence.

Been reading through numerous Mamo builds lately, and all are absolutely amazing. However, most owners chose fairly wild cams (understandably so). I'm not much of a drag racer; more into road course and canyon carving, which I think this setup is perfect for.
Pulling a small hill in 6th at 1400 rpms (60-65 or so) is an absolute breeze. I think this setup would probably be just what you are looking for. For me, I just wanted a fun, fast, reliable street car, that handles well, and can be daily driven. This setup seems to fit the bill perfectly.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:40 PM
Spartan07
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice numbers! Cant wait to get back with Tony and purchase a heads/cam package!!
Old 01-13-2018, 06:54 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

Very well thought out build and a hell of a daily driver.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:05 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Congrats on a great outcome resulting from a very well thought out build. Tony is exceptional from a results as well as customer service standpoint. That's one fast daily driver. Enjoy the car!
Old 01-13-2018, 07:07 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

What are the future plans for the car? Why forge the bottom end?

Last edited by jayyyw; 01-13-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:13 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Thanks guys!

Last edited by 95rtturbo; 03-31-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:11 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

After the journey of seemingly, endless disappointment, I'm happy you finally got this thing sorted out Tom.

I can attest, Tom is every bit as picky as I am with respect to the term "drivability"....

I'm also once again very impressed with these cylinder heads. Greg and I both had our doubts the low duration split between int/exh would carry power. And once again, these results prove that this engine does not NEED nearly as much intake duration as the vast majority believe it does.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael_D:
MTPZ06 (06-05-2018), Racingswh (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 08:42 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Michael_D
After the journey of seemingly, endless disappointment, I'm happy you finally got this thing sorted out Tom.

I can attest, Tom is every bit as picky as I am with respect to the term "drivability"....

I'm also once again very impressed with these cylinder heads. Greg and I both had our doubts the low duration split between int/exh would carry power. And once again, these results prove that this engine does not NEED nearly as much intake duration as the vast majority believe it does.
Thanks for all of your help Michael! I was so close to making another poor choice in a tuner until you steered me into the right direction with Greg at Passion Performance Auto.

Get notified of new replies

To Mamo Build complete - positive review for Passion Performance Auto

Old 01-13-2018, 09:51 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Nice cam, I will be looking at something like that when the time comes.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:18 AM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Innovate
Nice cam, I will be looking at something like that when the time comes.
You won't regret it. It's an expensive build, but drives very much like stock, and is a reliable and extremely durable build.

Again, I cannot stress how great Passion Performance Auto is at tuning / engine work - they seem to be a shop that is not known by many. I tell you what, they should be! Greg is one of the best tuners in the country. Just ask Michael_D on these forums, or me of course.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:54 AM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Michael_D

Thanks for replying Michael! Yes, these heads are fantastic, as is everything that Tony Mamo churns out (ported MSD, ported TB, etc). I had forgotten to mention how integral Tony Mamo was to the success of this build - he helped me every step of the way. It's not just the quality / precision of his products that is amazing; it's also his personability that is incredible. You would think that someone this talented in producing quality, tested products would be lacking in personal skills. This is NOT the case with Tony. He explains everything well, where even dummies like myself can understand, and he listens to exactly what you want. Once he suggests a build package for your needs, it doesn't end there like most shops. He answers / returns all of your calls, he gets you all of the information you need, and if he doesn't have it, he points you to someone that does. Heck, he even calls out of the blue to see how everything is coming along! I have never dealt with a performance shop that does that. Totally a class act.
The following 2 users liked this post by 95rtturbo:
Jaybird29 (06-07-2018), redcycle13 (01-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Mamo Build complete - positive review for Passion Performance Auto