Z06 Help with Tire Selection - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMís Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Help with Tire Selection

Reply

 
 
 
Old 02-21-2018, 11:39 PM
  #1  
jmoney127
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 511
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default Help with Tire Selection

Looking at changing out my 345 Nitto Invos if I am confident I can get a better tire for my needs. I have a HCI z06 with high 500whp. I do not take it to the drag strip and do not have any immediate plans for track days. Obviously I do not want a run flat tire. I have searched a bunch and answers are all over the place but Iím hoping by describing what Iím looking for I can get better results. Anyway, what tire would you recommend for a 19Ē wheel for street driving? I want it to hook as good as possible, handle some cornering but be manageable in the rain if I get caught in it. So, what are your recommendations and why?
jmoney127 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:55 PM
  #2  
NemeZ
CF Senior Member
 
NemeZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2016
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 405
Thanked 59 Times in 56 Posts
Default

I ran 345/30r19 Nitto NT05R and never had issues. It would dead hook a 40 roll in first(536rwhp). Got caught in the rain and just drove cautiously. The sidewall is decent and isn’t as bad as some say in the corners. If you care a bit more about handling I would go with th R888. If not the NT05R does great in straight line. I would just be cautious with driving at freeway speeds in the rain.
NemeZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:59 PM
  #3  
jmoney127
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 511
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NemeZ View Post
I ran 345/30r19 Nitto NT05R and never had issues. It would dead hook a 40 roll in first(536rwhp). Got caught in the rain and just drove cautiously. The sidewall is decent and isnít as bad as some say in the corners. If you care a bit more about handling I would go with th R888. If not the NT05R does great in straight line. I would just be cautious with driving at freeway speeds in the rain.
Looking for a bit better handling than the 05R, do you know how the 888 do if caught in the rain?
jmoney127 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:27 AM
  #4  
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
AzDave47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,943
Thanked 376 Times in 345 Posts
Default

Go with the M PSS in either 325 or 345/30-19, (or the new PS4S in the 325) far better grip than the Invos and you will get good tread wear and they are reasonably quiet and have a good ride. The R888Rs will have much more grip, will have more noise and will wear out in 1/3rd the time of the Invos or PSS. The R88Rs are street legal track tires. I have run R888s 100+ miles OW to road circuits and run them, then home. They will hook much better than the PSS, but I don't think that is the highest on your overall priorities. My HCI car is ~ 600 rwhp. PSS on the street and high speed events, R888s (have rear R888Rs waiting for mounting) for road courses and MT ET STT for 1/2 mile or less drags. I'd get NT05Rs for the drags rather than the MTs next time as the MTs get squirelly at about 140.
AzDave47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:29 AM
  #5  
jmoney127
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 511
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AzDave47 View Post
Go with the M PSS in either 325 or 345/30-19, (or the new PS4S in the 325) far better grip than the Invos and you will get good tread wear and they are reasonably quiet and have a good ride. The R888Rs will have much more grip, will have more noise and will wear out in 1/3rd the time of the Invos or PSS. The R88Rs are street legal track tires. I have run R888s 100+ miles OW to road circuits and run them, then home. They will hook much better than the PSS, but I don't think that is the highest on your overall priorities. My HCI car is ~ 600 rwhp. PSS on the street and high speed events, R888s (have rear R888Rs waiting for mounting) for road courses and MT ET STT for 1/2 mile or less drags. I'd get NT05Rs for the drags rather than the MTs next time as the MTs get squirelly at about 140.
How do the mpss compare to the grip of invos? I canít hook worth a **** with these.
jmoney127 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:48 AM
  #6  
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
AzDave47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,943
Thanked 376 Times in 345 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jmoney127 View Post


How do the mpss compare to the grip of invos? I can’t hook worth a **** with these.
The Invos are a good treadwear, quiet, soft riding, inexpensive tire, they are not a performance tire.

The NT05 is the Nitto street performance tire regardless of what Nitto advertises, the Invo as. My NT-05s generated .93 and .97 on a couple of my local roundabouts.

My PSS were 1.12Gs on both. They have good grip especially when its 70*+ outside. Like any summer only tire they lose a lot of grip when it gets down into the 40s.

With ~550 rwhp, only drag radials will dead hook in a straight line although DOT street legal track tires like the R888R and the Mich. Pilot Sport Cup2 tires will hook better. than street tires once warmed up. The tradeoff there is you will be lucky to get 10K miles of treadwear on the DOT track tires.

If you are not doing track events, I'd recommend a street alignment of -0.7* camber front and -0.5* rear, with just a little toe-in front and back. With those settings you will still have very good street cornering and will get very good tread life.

Last edited by AzDave47; 02-22-2018 at 09:49 AM.
AzDave47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:51 AM
  #7  
htvette
CF Senior Member
 
htvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Location: round rock tx
Posts: 353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jmoney127 View Post


How do the mpss compare to the grip of invos? I canít hook worth a **** with these.
I (560whp) replaced Invos with MPSS. MPSS will not hook 1st gear but still alot better than POS Invos. I plan on getting R888R soon.
htvette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:00 AM
  #8  
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 38,765
Thanked 1,131 Times in 831 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AzDave47 View Post
The Invos are a good treadwear, quiet, soft riding, inexpensive tire, they are not a performance tire.

The NT05 is the Nitto street performance tire regardless of what Nitto advertises, the Invo as. My NT-05s generated .93 and .97 on a couple of my local roundabouts.

My PSS were 1.12Gs on both. They have good grip especially when its 70*+ outside. Like any summer only tire they lose a lot of grip when it gets down into the 40s.

With ~550 rwhp, only drag radials will dead hook in a straight line although DOT street legal track tires like the R888R and the Mich. Pilot Sport Cup2 tires will hook better. than street tires once warmed up. The tradeoff there is you will be lucky to get 10K miles of treadwear on the DOT track tires.

If you are not doing track events, I'd recommend a street alignment of -0.7* camber front and -0.5* rear, with just a little toe-in front and back. With those settings you will still have very good street cornering and will get very good tread life.
I'm running -0.9* camber front and -0.6* camber rear and near zero toe front and rear. Car handles great in the corners and runs straight and true at 160+ MPH.

With those alignment specs I have ~40,000 miles on my Bridgestone RE0505A run flats, with ~3/32" tread left. They are a great tire(much better than the OE Goodyears), but not a drag radial. They hook pretty good when the temp is above 80*, but I don't recommend them for stoplight drag racing.
JoesC5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:07 AM
  #9  
HotRodWebb
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Murfreesboro Tennessee
Posts: 30
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jmoney127 View Post


How do the mpss compare to the grip of invos? I can’t hook worth a **** with these.
I have the MPSS on my stock Z and they have been TERRIBLE for me. They are not even two years old and I can blow them off from 40-60mph roll in 2nd. It is worse when under 70 degrees but I haven't had any luck getting good traction above that temp either. The rear steps out with any throttle while hanging curves. They have been flat out dangerous in my application. To be fair though, I haven't had my alignment checked yet. Now they may do better when heated during a long session of track racing but I haven't been in that environment and it doesn't sound like you will be either. My goals are similar to yours and from the research I have done the R888r is what I am leaning toward. Good luck in your search.

Last edited by HotRodWebb; 02-22-2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: grammar
HotRodWebb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:21 AM
  #10  
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
AzDave47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,943
Thanked 376 Times in 345 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HotRodWebb View Post
I have the MPSS on my stock Z and they have been TERRIBLE for me. They are not even two years old and I can blow them off from 40-60mph roll in 2nd. It is worse when under 70 degrees but I haven't had any luck getting good traction above that temp either. The rear steps out with any throttle while hanging curves. They have been flat out dangerous in my application. To be fair though, I haven't had my alignment check yet. Now they may do better when heated during a long session of track racing but I haven't been in that environment and it doesn't sound like you will be either. My goals are similar to yours and from the research I have done the R888r is what I am leaning toward. Good luck in your search.
MPSS are not a track tire although if just doing a couple of HPDEs per year and as the only wheels/tires they would be OK. The R888Rs are track tires, they will have a lot more grip than the PSS and you will be happy if you get 10K street miles out of them, whereas with a good alignment the MPSS should get 25-30K street miles even with a couple of track days. If someone only drives 2-3K miles per year then the 10K wearout isn't so bad. I do ~7K per year and wouldn't want to be replacing my street tires every 16 months.

With normal alignment in a long corner on track the PSS will understeer with stock suspension, of course hit is hard and you can drift with even stock power levels. If you get throttle oversteer then you are either too hard on the throttle tip in or your alignment may be off.
AzDave47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:31 AM
  #11  
Sean_C
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Location: Chandler Arizona
Posts: 206
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Default

r888r lover here.... coming from Michelin pilot sports on my H/C car it was a night and day difference....888rs just stick waay better and 1st gear is actually usuable now as where before with the Michelins I couldn't use 1st or 2nd gear in any sort of aggressive manner....I don't notice any excess noise from the tires cuz my cars on the loud side....the cars not a daily so if I could get a good 8k miles out of them I think it's well worth it.... there's nothing like the feeling of having a good tire on the car that u know can handle what u can throw at it.
Sean_C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:47 AM
  #12  
jmoney127
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 511
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AzDave47 View Post
The Invos are a good treadwear, quiet, soft riding, inexpensive tire, they are not a performance tire.

The NT05 is the Nitto street performance tire regardless of what Nitto advertises, the Invo as. My NT-05s generated .93 and .97 on a couple of my local roundabouts.

My PSS were 1.12Gs on both. They have good grip especially when its 70*+ outside. Like any summer only tire they lose a lot of grip when it gets down into the 40s.

With ~550 rwhp, only drag radials will dead hook in a straight line although DOT street legal track tires like the R888R and the Mich. Pilot Sport Cup2 tires will hook better. than street tires once warmed up. The tradeoff there is you will be lucky to get 10K miles of treadwear on the DOT track tires.

If you are not doing track events, I'd recommend a street alignment of -0.7* camber front and -0.5* rear, with just a little toe-in front and back. With those settings you will still have very good street cornering and will get very good tread life.
How much of a difference will the mpss 325 vs 345 have? I see you can get the 325s for about $200 a tire now. Also, if I were to go with the 888 how will they handle if I get caught in the rain?
jmoney127 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 AM
  #13  
HotRodWebb
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Murfreesboro Tennessee
Posts: 30
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AzDave47 View Post
MPSS are not a track tire although if just doing a couple of HPDEs per year and as the only wheels/tires they would be OK. The R888Rs are track tires, they will have a lot more grip than the PSS and you will be happy if you get 10K street miles out of them, whereas with a good alignment the MPSS should get 25-30K street miles even with a couple of track days. If someone only drives 2-3K miles per year then the 10K wearout isn't so bad. I do ~7K per year and wouldn't want to be replacing my street tires every 16 months.

With normal alignment in a long corner on track the PSS will understeer with stock suspension, of course hit is hard and you can drift with even stock power levels. If you get throttle oversteer then you are either too hard on the throttle tip in or your alignment may be off.
Yes. I need to have the alignment checked. It happens with very light and smooth throttle tip in but it has always been controlled drift.

Originally Posted by Sean_C View Post
r888r lover here.... coming from Michelin pilot sports on my H/C car it was a night and day difference....888rs just stick waay better and 1st gear is actually usuable now as where before with the Michelins I couldn't use 1st or 2nd gear in any sort of aggressive manner....I don't notice any excess noise from the tires cuz my cars on the loud side....the cars not a daily so if I could get a good 8k miles out of them I think it's well worth it.... there's nothing like the feeling of having a good tire on the car that u know can handle what u can throw at it.
This is what I am looking for. My reasoning is that I only drive 5k/yr and the rubber seems to harden after a few years anyway and the only reason I would ever be in the rain is if I get caught in a pop up storm. The MPSS tires aren't cutting it for me. There is nothing worse than a high school kid in his Mustang hanging close from a red light because you can't hook.
HotRodWebb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM
  #14  
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
AzDave47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,943
Thanked 376 Times in 345 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jmoney127 View Post


How much of a difference will the mpss 325 vs 345 have? I see you can get the 325s for about $200 a tire now. Also, if I were to go with the 888 how will they handle if I get caught in the rain?
I stay with the OEM 18/19 sizes because I do high speed events (have over 800 miles at 150+ MPH) and don't want any rubbing. The 325s would actually be slightly better in a straight line, 345s in the corners if you upsized the fronts also. I think you want good performance and value, go with the 325s.
AzDave47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:24 PM
  #15  
jmoney127
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 511
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Had anyone ran the toyo t1r? I can get a really good deal on a new set with 345s in the back. I am going to be running 19x10 and 20x13 360 forged wheels.
jmoney127 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:12 AM
  #16  
SocalChvy
CF Senior Member
 
SocalChvy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 413
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Default

MPSS for me. Good tire. Does wonders when it's warm .
SocalChvy is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:48 AM
  #17  
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
AzDave47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,943
Thanked 376 Times in 345 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jmoney127 View Post
Had anyone ran the toyo t1r? I can get a really good deal on a new set with 345s in the back. I am going to be running 19x10 and 20x13 360 forged wheels.
19/20 tire choices are even more limited than for the 18/19 combo.
AzDave47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:57 AM
  #18  
jmoney127
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 511
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AzDave47 View Post
19/20 tire choices are even more limited than for the 18/19 combo.
Are the Toyo t1r good tires?
jmoney127 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:39 AM
  #19  
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
AzDave47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,943
Thanked 376 Times in 345 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jmoney127 View Post


Are the Toyo t1r good tires?
I have no experience with them and do not remember reading any reviews on them.
AzDave47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:50 AM
  #20  
jmoney127
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 511
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AzDave47 View Post
I have no experience with them and do not remember reading any reviews on them.
What else would you recommend for a 20x13 rear? Think Iíll need a 345 but not sure if some manufacturers 335s are just as wide
jmoney127 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Help with Tire Selection


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: