Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Wiggle Test Video - Need Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 05:14 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Wiggle Test Video - Need Feedback

So this is a video of a "wiggle test" on my 2011 Z07 with 3100 miles I just did this afternoon. It is the passenger side bank and I did not remove the valve springs...I felt that if there is movement with the valve springs on, then there would be much more with them removed.

I was surprised to see the intake valves moving more then the exhaust I would appreciate it if those with experience in this area would chime in with your perspective. Should there be this much movement? Do I need to remove the springs or am I done with the movement demonstrated in the video? Thank for your feedback in advance. Oh, and the audio is a little low, sorry.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:36 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Video doesn’t work for me
Old 03-03-2018, 05:49 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Video doesn’t work for me
Strange, I tested it in the test section and it works when I view it? Here is the YouTube link

Last edited by Too-Fast; 03-03-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:33 PM
BAAD LS2
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2017 C6 of Year

Looks exactly like mine did on my ls9 heads on the intake valves. After I got them fixed with new guides there is zero movement with the springs on.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:40 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I would definitely pull the springs on the ones you feel have the most movement and go from there, but it’s certainly discouraging to see some moving more than others.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If they are moving that much on the seat, with springs, they are probably toast.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:07 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BAAD LS2
Looks exactly like mine did on my ls9 heads on the intake valves. After I got them fixed with new guides there is zero movement with the springs on.
Thanks for that feedback, I was surprised that they were moving.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:07 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Unreal
If they are moving that much on the seat, with springs, they are probably toast.
Thanks Unreal, that is what I am thinking also.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:11 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

3,100 or 31,000 miles

DH
Old 03-04-2018, 12:57 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
Strange, I tested it in the test section and it works when I view it? Here is the YouTube link https://youtu.be/IeZqHlRUi3w
My intakes were moving less than that, so I took it to Rich at Abel and they were .013"-.015". Got AHP heads with the following installed last week.

Now good to go. This is the third (and final) set of heads I've had Abel install, two under GM warranty (new GM heads), and lastly these AHP rebuilt heads under GMPP.

Last edited by Minkster; 03-04-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:14 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
3,100 or 31,000 miles

DH
3,100 Howie.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:27 AM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 151 Posts

Wasn't sure my valves moved at all with the springs on. If they did it was very little. One exhaust and 4 intake guides were beyond the service limit.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:01 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal

Mine were also bad at less than 4K
Old 03-04-2018, 11:15 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Yeah, I am going to put it back together today and order a redone set of heads from either AHP or AI and be done with it. Thanks for all of your feedback folks.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:18 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

You pulled the heads? Or did you incorrectly test them on the car? My buddy is "the corvette mechanic" who does the Carlisle, bowling green , mid America, Bloomington gold service seminars and he is too tired to keep answering this question on line because people don't listen...

The wiggle test is not being done correctly and people are needlessly and incorrectly determining their car has a valve guide or valve angle problem...

He services my car and I bring this topic up from time to time and he just says how many times can you have this discussion on incorrect testing to incorrectly determine if your car needs new heads...

With 3100 miles your really just in the mood to do something with your z06 and if that's the case...have fun...

But from a reality standpoint...you really aren't doing the test correctly which cannot be done with the heads on the motor.

The incidence rate is less than 8 tenths of one percent.

I ve heard the heads can be done relatively inexpensively so if it makes you feel better do the heads but the issue has been overblown because of the Internet forums scaring would be buyers lowering residuals for literally an issue that has occurred less than 8 tenths of one percent ...

You d have a greater chance of a cam failure than a valve dropping failure but it doesn't matter those whose engines fail are automatically told by the "tuner" it was the valve issue...again just overblowing the fear in owners and would be owners to replace the heads.

I'm not going to argue with those who already changed their heads out of fear as they are venomous in their retorts and I am just suggesting with 3100 miles the chance of your valves being an issue are minuscule...literally less than 8 tenths of one percent of all ls7 s produced...

Anyway replacing the heads is relatively inexpensive so for those that feel better doing them. I'm sure the heads being replaced will enhance the resale value as the z06 residuals collapsed on this internet rumor being blown out of proportion. By paying "tuners" to replace the heads which is not expensive you are improving your residual values based off the fears that are created by these forum and tuners misdiagnosing any and all issues as valve issues...

Congratulations and no insult intended.

Just a perspective to consider since you asked the question..

We did over 200 episodes of the corvette mechanic podcast together.

Last edited by JerriVette; 03-04-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:01 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

So you're saying that there are roughly only 250 times these heads have failed? That number seems awfully low to get GM to respond to this non issue. Didn't they already admit to a manufacturing defect with the heads?
Old 03-04-2018, 12:07 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Ah yes...if only us owners had listened to Jerri’s buddy the podcast mechanic

Then we’d all be in the clear. Yes, we should all listen to the two guys on a podcast that don’t own a C6Z and have probably never done an inspection on an LS7 cylinder head.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiggle Test Video - Need Feedback

Old 03-04-2018, 12:28 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

I appreciate you’re perspective, thanks for your feedback.

My heads will be pulled and measured by a competent machine shop. However, it is pretty certain, that if they are moving like they are then they will be bad. I was very surprised to see that much movement, under full tension, especially the intakes. There is too much empirical evidence to ignore the issue and I don’t want to drop a valve at 170mph. I will not get into a protracted discussion with you, thanks for your comments.

Originally Posted by JerriVette
You pulled the heads? Or did you incorrectly test them on the car? My buddy is "the corvette mechanic" who does the Carlisle, bowling green , mid America, Bloomington gold service seminars and he is too tired to keep answering this question on line because people don't listen...

The wiggle test is not being done correctly and people are needlessly and incorrectly determining their car has a valve guide or valve angle problem...

He services my car and I bring this topic up from time to time and he just says how many times can you have this discussion on incorrect testing to incorrectly determine if your car needs new heads...

With 3100 miles your really just in the mood to do something with your z06 and if that's the case...have fun...

But from a reality standpoint...you really aren't doing the test correctly which cannot be done with the heads on the motor.

I ve heard the heads can be done relatively inexpensively so if it makes you feel better do the heads but the issue has been overblown because of the Internet forums scaring would be buyers lowering residuals for literally an issue that has occurred less than 8 tenths of one percent ...

You d have a greater chance of a cam failure than a valve dropping failure but it doesn't matter those whose engines fail are automatically told by the "tuner" it was the valve issue...again just overblowing the fear in owners and would be owners to replace the heads.

I'm not going to argue with those who already changed their heads out of fear as they are venomous in their retorts and I am just suggesting with 3100 miles the chance of your valves being an issue are minuscule...literally less than 8 tenths of one percent of all ls7 s produced...

Anyway replacing the heads is relatively inexpensive so for those that feel better doing them. I'm sure the heads being replaced will enhance the resale value as the z06 residuals collapsed on this internet rumor being blown out of proportion. By paying "tuners" to replace the heads which is not expensive you are improving your residual values based off the fears that are created by these forum and tuners misdiagnosing any and all issues as valve issues...

Congratulations and no insult intended.

Just a perspective to consider since you asked the question..

We did over 200 episodes of the corvette mechanic podcast together.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Ah yes...if only us owners had listened to Jerri’s buddy the podcast mechanic

Then we’d all be in the clear. Yes, we should all listen to the two guys on a podcast that don’t own a C6Z and have probably never done an inspection on an LS7 cylinder head.
Yeah, good old Jerri is back to gift us with more of his "wisdom".
Old 03-04-2018, 12:51 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Quick Reply: [Z06] Wiggle Test Video - Need Feedback