Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 new build needing advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 07:12 AM
instg8er
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default ZR1 new build needing advice

Pick up a stock 26k mile Zr1 at the end of February. not wasting any time i adding a few things. Car makes good power and is a blast to drive. I have been searching and reading but cant get a straight answer. the car will be street driven and took on trips with the wife. A few trips to Mexico on the weekends with friends and some 1/8 and 1/4 stuff. at what point does a car need a rear ice tank and how bad does it cut up the car adding one? is the fasterprom tank in the front not a good source. Greg with Kong has helped me a lot but don't want to keep bothering him with 21 questions. He has a expansion tank for the front also. My goal is 850-900 RWHP on blower list of mods so far are

ID1300
DMS pump kit
14% lower
2.6 upper Going to a 2.35?
LPE snout
Kong 5in intake
Cam
2" kooks and Xpipe no cats
BB fusion axle back
running Full E85 with Flex fuel kit
D3 Cooling blocks and Bricks

going to add Meth? and a 2.35 upper coming in a few weeks???

Want to change the lines to AN fittings. Just dont like the look of the silicone lines

Car made 680 pump and 734 on E85

any help or answer are appreciated
Old 03-26-2018, 07:21 AM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

My car makes right around 650 on pump right now. The rear tank makes a huge difference. A friend of mine custom made it so it requires zero hacking of the car. Didn’t even have to drill into the floor to secure it, it just takes a lot of time and labor to do something like that.
These cars get hot very quickly and you want to do anything you can to help it cool down.
The following users liked this post:
instg8er (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 08:30 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by instg8er
Pick up a stock 26k mile Zr1 at the end of February. not wasting any time i adding a few things. Car makes good power and is a blast to drive. I have been searching and reading but cant get a straight answer. the car will be street driven and took on trips with the wife. A few trips to Mexico on the weekends with friends and some 1/8 and 1/4 stuff. at what point does a car need a rear ice tank and how bad does it cut up the car adding one? is the fasterprom tank in the front not a good source. Greg with Kong has helped me a lot but don't want to keep bothering him with 21 questions. He has a expansion tank for the front also. My goal is 850-900 RWHP on blower list of mods so far are

ID1300
DMS pump kit
14% lower
2.6 upper Going to a 2.35?
LPE snout
Kong 5in intake
Cam
2" kooks and Xpipe no cats
BB fusion axle back
running Full E85 with Flex fuel kit
D3 Cooling blocks and Bricks

going to add Meth? and a 2.35 upper coming in a few weeks???

Want to change the lines to AN fittings. Just dont like the look of the silicone lines

Car made 680 pump and 734 on E85

any help or answer are appreciated
Here's what I've learned thus far:

For your HP goals also consider (didnt see in your parts list) adding an aux fuel pump such as the DSX kit.

Rear tanks are really nice if you want to also be able to drop ice in, however, I don't believe its necessary unless either of these two conditions are met:
1)You live in a VERY hot climate and you are going to really beat on the car
2)You intend to do 1/2 mile events

Between running E85, upgraded IC bricks (I'd personally send mine to Kong to have them done), and Kong's front-mounted tank, that should be enough to keep your IAT's in check for a daily driven, Mexico-running, 1/4 mile car. It's the hot weather and extended pulls that really raise your IAT2s where its strongly recommended to get a rear tank. With that, you may also need an upgraded pump and you'll have to probably get use to the sound of hearing gurgling water in the rear of the car, unless you have a loud exhaust system.

Greg used to make/carry a rear-tank but no longer does. Dedicated is one of the go-to's that I'm aware of.

For these cars, I've heard mix-reviews with running meth. I believe Kong doens't typically suggest it (I can't recall why), but I'm sure there's a reason for or against it.

Also, if you're going to have the car apart and doing a cam, I would suggest having Greg also port your snout and blower with his latest race port. Even if you weren't doing a cam, I would still recommend it.

Oh, and I'm not 100% sure but you may need to upgrade to a NW boosted 102TB for your HP goals in order to make sure the tb stays open under that load. I know some people have gotten away without it but many have had to upgrade to fix the issue of the blade closing somewhat under higher boost levels. Its just money...right?!
Old 03-26-2018, 10:34 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I think for TB guys run a Southwest 108mm.

I will definitely follow this build!
Old 03-26-2018, 10:42 AM
instg8er
Racer

Forgot to add DSX Auxiliary Fuel Pump Kit and the 102B thats already done. also have the Edelbrock HX and Brick are new and done from DSX.

All the work is done and going to get the blower and Snout done soon along with heads. Ice box is my biggest question. may do some 1/2 miles stuff but its not done in this NC anymore. so just 1/8 and 1/4 stuff. so to ice or not to ice..lol or just do Gregs tank in the front bumber?
Old 03-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Forgot to add DSX Auxiliary Fuel Pump Kit and the 102B thats already done. also have the Edelbrock HX and Brick are new and done from DSX.

All the work is done and going to get the blower and Snout done soon along with heads. Ice box is my biggest question. may do some 1/2 miles stuff but its not done in this NC anymore. so just 1/8 and 1/4 stuff. so to ice or not to ice..lol or just do Gregs tank in the front bumber?
Ah ok, the 102 will work. I noticed you are in Four Oaks lol, my grandparents live there and I am not far from you lol. I will have to check your ZR1 out sometime!
instg8er (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 06:24 PM
instg8er
Racer

Yes sir. Four oaks Meadow area. I go to Sumter SC a lot for work. Have a job at Shaw AFB running a new water and sewer system.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:43 PM
MMEOD85
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

This set-up solves heat issues with ZR1’s.
Tomislav63 (03-27-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 10:24 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

^^Tikt?
Tomislav63 (03-27-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 10:33 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Congrats on your pick up. Following...
Old 03-27-2018, 04:46 AM
MMEOD85
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
^^Tikt?
Yes, TIKT. After driving for over an hour, the supercharger lid is cool enough to put your hand on it - I know this isn’t quantative data, but gives you an idea of the significant cooling of the TIKT system.

Last edited by MMEOD85; 03-27-2018 at 04:51 AM.
MTPZ06 (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 04:36 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Yes sir. Four oaks Meadow area. I go to Sumter SC a lot for work. Have a job at Shaw AFB running a new water and sewer system.
Awesome, I am USAF Weather at Shaw AFB (Auto Detailer as well). Keep an eye out for a Machine Silver Z06 running around. I would love to see your ZR1 when she is done, bring her on down sometime!

Last edited by Innovate; 03-27-2018 at 04:38 PM.
instg8er (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 08:23 PM
instg8er
Racer

Will do. Let me know if you see one of my T2 trucks acting up. Lol. Small world we live in. I’ll be down next week. We are finishing up the new water and Sewer for the base and have some meeting.

Btw. Can I get a ride in one of the F16s? Thought I saw some of the new F35 or was I dreaming?

You live on base?
Old 03-27-2018, 08:46 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Will do. Let me know if you see one of my T2 trucks acting up. Lol. Small world we live in. I’ll be down next week. We are finishing up the new water and Sewer for the base and have some meeting.

Btw. Can I get a ride in one of the F16s? Thought I saw some of the new F35 or was I dreaming?

You live on base?
Will do haha and it sure is a small world. That is cool, it sounds like a big business you run! I will be down here unless I am on business travel as well.

Haha, you will have to ask someone with more authority than me to ride in one! Probably someone with stars on his collar haha. I have not seen any F35’s here, only F16’s and a ton of them.

No, I live off base in Dalzell about 15 minutes from the gate. I went ahead and purchased a house as I will probably be here for a while.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:19 PM
instg8er
Racer

Good deal. Yea our guys are on Bragg, Parris island, SJAFB and Sunny point. We do a lot of military work and enjoy it. We do our part so they can do there’s. Will have to get up with you when I’m down again.
Innovate (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 09:30 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Good deal. Yea our guys are on Bragg, Parris island, SJAFB and Sunny point. We do a lot of military work and enjoy it. We do our part so they can do there’s. Will have to get up with you when I’m down again.
Wow, that sounds like a good bit of work. Which is great of course and enjoying it is a good thing! Definitely, let me know!

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 new build needing advice

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 new build needing advice