Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Stupid question: 17” rims on rear and handling

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 02:29 AM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Stupid question: 17” rims on rear and handling

I did a search and perhaps my Google-fu sucks but I couldn’t find anything that answers my specific question.

I know people do 17” C5Z front rims on the rear of their c6z to help traction at the drag strip. Theoretically if I run that set up on the street or go canyong carving (keeping the front factory c6z 18” wheels) what would be the negative effects?

I assume 17” wheels with more tire sidewall would help straight line traction, but would it negatively affect handling in the corners due to the sidewalls not being as stiff as on the factory 19” wheels or something?
Old 03-29-2018, 02:40 AM
furiousox
Pro

Larger sidewalls allow better ride quality, better straight line launch, braking and do not necessarily decrease grip but may make the car handle less precisely. In other words, the sidewall flexes so the steering response will be slower and you get a lot more "roll" in the bends. Too big of a sidewall can cause excessive tire temperatures due to a lot of flexing about and possible failure in race conditions so it still is ideal to keep relatively low profile sidewalls on performance applications as we mentioned earlier.
From http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/...n-performance/

So theoretically if I keep my fronts the factory 18s or hell go factory 19” z06 wheels my turn in shouldn’t be affected? The rear would have more (short term) traction but more sidewall temp fluctuation etc so not a good idea for road course or even canyon craving?

What other downsides are there? I feel like I’m missing a gigantic elephant in the room here lol I’m sure more people would run this set up outside of the drag strip if there weren’t some glaring downsides other than appearance

Last edited by furiousox; 03-29-2018 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:49 AM
427V8BB
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by furiousox
I did a search and perhaps my Google-fu sucks but I couldn’t find anything that answers my specific question.

I know people do 17” C5Z front rims on the rear of their c6z to help traction at the drag strip. Theoretically if I run that set up on the street or go canyong carving (keeping the front factory c6z 18” wheels) what would be the negative effects?

I assume 17” wheels with more tire sidewall would help straight line traction, but would it negatively affect handling in the corners due to the sidewalls not being as stiff as on the factory 19” wheels or something?
i ran Hoosier 275/45/17 on OEM c5z rims for a 1000 miles up to 165mph turns I took in my runflats were about the same for my Hoosier they’re actually not a bad tire to take turns at cause this one off ramp I take I took the Hoosiers around at 45 and they didn’t screech but my runflats screech at 53. Only thing I notice is a little sway at 100+ but it was all better when I deflated it to 22psi helped allot almost no sway oh unless u hit a dip or something then it’s allot to handle don’t expect to drive with one hand at 100 lol
The following users liked this post:
furiousox (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 09:34 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If you have 17s with drag radials, the drag tires will kill the corner carving far more than the reduction of tire wall. Now if you ran a high performance cornering 17" then it wouldn't be a big difference, but then that negates any drag performance.
The following users liked this post:
furiousox (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 07:06 PM
furiousox
Pro

Originally Posted by Unreal
If you have 17s with drag radials, the drag tires will kill the corner carving far more than the reduction of tire wall. Now if you ran a high performance cornering 17" then it wouldn't be a big difference, but then that negates any drag performance.
So it's because the DR's sidewall isn't stiff enough and it's too thick so it isn't best for gripping in the corners?

If I get non-DR 17" wheel tires wouldn't they still flex more when accelerating to create more contact area with the ground due to more sidewalls?
Old 03-29-2018, 07:23 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Mildly, but the DRs are made to flex, and a sticky compound. They are drag tires. You are not going to get best of both worlds.

Depends on which 17s, some will just cup and you lose traction. Others won't flex much at all. I much rather run a sticky 18-19 for traction/handling than a hard/non DR 17 to help with traction.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:17 PM
furiousox
Pro

Originally Posted by Unreal
Mildly, but the DRs are made to flex, and a sticky compound. They are drag tires. You are not going to get best of both worlds.

Depends on which 17s, some will just cup and you lose traction. Others won't flex much at all. I much rather run a sticky 18-19 for traction/handling than a hard/non DR 17 to help with traction.
Thank you kind sir

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid question: 17” rims on rear and handling

Quick Reply: [Z06] Stupid question: 17” rims on rear and handling