Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

WCCH Heads Shot at 17k miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 12:13 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Default WCCH Heads Shot at 17k miles

Just saw a similar thread and thought I'd join the club. For the record, my intention is not to bash WCCH. I think they do great work and the heads make good power. I just don't think their "fix", which is the same as many other shops, will last any reasonable amount of time for pretty much all of us. I know what it feels like to put thousands of dollars into your heads and then have to put even more into them after only 17k miles so hopefully this post saves some others time, money, and maybe their lives in the event they avoid dropping a valve at 100+ mph.

The first video was at 12k miles when I checked two valves and wasn't happy with the results. 5k miles later I had my heads off and found alarming wear on most intake and exhaust guides. A few are pretty tight but most are not. Worst of all the coating wore off my intake valves and now they all need to be replaced. This caused the intake guides to wear even faster and I believe I was close to a catastrophic failure. My solid REV exhaust valve finish looks fine but the associated guides are not.

After looking into every possible option including putting a ls3 in my car and selling my car, I have decided to ship my heads to AHP to get moldstar guides, new OEM intake valves, and new Ferrea hollow exhaust valves. Fingers crossed!

I'm not sure it really matters but I know someone will ask. Stock rockers and .658 lift cam

P.s. I regularly talk to others who have had the same or worse results, several times in some cases, so don't go saying this is just me.

Last edited by rio95; 04-03-2018 at 12:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rio95:
jayyyw (04-03-2018), ZishanM (04-08-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 08:16 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 687 Posts

Not looking forward to doing this with mine. I am going to go the same route and have AHP install the MS90 guides and choose a different vendor for port work.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:22 AM
JesC6Z
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Unfortunate news, Hopefully within time members and vendors can figure out this issue and put it behind us. I really like my Z06 but issues like this worry me. Good luck with the upcoming fix sir
Old 04-03-2018, 08:29 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I think sooner or later people are gonna come to conclusion the only way to truly fix these heads for long-term reliability is using a set of roller rockers. With a .658 lift the stock rockers are going to put a lot of side loading on the valve stem. I can't say with confidence that the moldstar 90 guides can even withstand long periods of time with that amount side loading.

I have been using the YT's for a year now and no issues. I'm going to take the valve covers off next week and do a wiggle test.

Here is my wipe pattern
Attached Images  

Last edited by vertC6; 04-03-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,288 Likes on 933 Posts

Why is everyone so afraid of the powder metal offering from AHP?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:55 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

One other note, that REV exhaust valve with a dual spring is going to bounce like a five-year-old on the trampoline, I would throw it out and use the Ferrea hollow stem with the PSI 1515 beehive with a Ti retainer.
The following users liked this post:
RJ-92 (04-04-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 08:59 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

vertC6 - see the other thread. There are pro's and con's to roller rockers. It may be a partial solution but I don't think it's foolproof either.
FSTFRC (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 09:12 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by rio95

I'm not sure it really matters but I know someone will ask. Stock rockers and .658 lift cam

The camshaft lobe profile also affects the overall stress on the valvetrain. I believe the valve side loading on the LS7 begins to become less than ideal at just over .630" lift, and even less ideal than that at over .660" lift. A lot of Katech 116 cams out there on OE rockers with lifts just under .650"; I'm assuming I'll be safe with TSP's .635" lift on their lobes designed for LS engines.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:46 AM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Rio95,

Do you perform this test yourself? just curious..
Old 04-03-2018, 10:45 AM
cseaman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

bleh...I am at 17k on my WCCH heads as well, with a BTR 2 cam...noisy freaking valvetrain and I am super nervous about having to deal with this again, not even a year after getting them on.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,288 Likes on 933 Posts

Takes 10 min to take off a valve cover and wiggle
Old 04-03-2018, 10:48 AM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Not looking forward to doing this with mine. I am going to go the same route and have AHP install the MS90 guides and choose a different vendor for port work.
There is a reason NASCAR engine builders use MS90 guides and PSI springs. For that reason and more, I chose AHP for working on my heads.
If anyone knows, its NASCAR and AHP. TI retainers included. At 6k miles my Engine valve train was making noise I didn’t like, and upon inspection by AHP one exhaust valve guide was way out of spec and three others were Borderline! Now, at idle my valve train is quiet, so quiet you can not compare IT to AHP head repair! My engine and exhaust is stock, and makes 500rwhp (mustang) with .020 milled heads and CAI. I didn’t mention the port and polish, engine flys to 7k!
Old 04-03-2018, 11:00 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vertC6
One other note, that REV exhaust valve with a dual spring is going to bounce like a five-year-old on the trampoline, I would throw it out and use the Ferrea hollow stem with the PSI 1515 beehive with a Ti retainer.
I had a stock LS7 lifter axle back out as well on an exhaust valve. Can't say it was due to the valve weight but I decided to get Johnson drop in lifters and hollow Ferrea exhaust valves just in case. Also, I didn't like the wear I was seeing on the top of my REV valves. I wanted the Ferrea valves back when I first did my heads but they were a little to new for me and most the big shops were promoting solid.

I like dual springs personally. I've had one of the two break before in another car so I feel like the second spring saved me. Kohle said my current springs are a good option so I'm just going to stay with them especially since they only have about 1k miles on them. I hear there are some dual beehive springs out now too.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:50 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
Rio95,

Do you perform this test yourself? just curious..
Yessir I do everything myself except for when I want to use a lift.
FSTFRC (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 11:53 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BigVette427
The camshaft lobe profile also affects the overall stress on the valvetrain. I believe the valve side loading on the LS7 begins to become less than ideal at just over .630" lift, and even less ideal than that at over .660" lift. A lot of Katech 116 cams out there on OE rockers with lifts just under .650"; I'm assuming I'll be safe with TSP's .635" lift on their lobes designed for LS engines.
Did you see the other new thread where the guy had a lower lift cam? I would not assume you're safe. Keep in mind guides wear out even with a stock cam. I don't have all the answers but I can tell you lift isn't the only factor at play here.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:29 PM
JesC6Z
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

I had a stock LS7 lifter axle back out as well on an exhaust valve. Can't say it was due to the valve weight but I decided to get Johnson drop in lifters and hollow Ferrea exhaust valves just in case. Also, I didn't like the wear I was seeing on the top of my REV valves. I wanted the Ferrea valves back when I first did my heads but they were a little to new for me and most the big shops were promoting solid.

I like dual springs personally. I've had one of the two break before in another car so I feel like the second spring saved me. Kohle said my current springs are a good option so I'm just going to stay with them especially since they only have about 1k miles on them. I hear there are some dual beehive springs out now too.
Kohle also recommended me some btr duals and told me he used them in even stock applications for 10’s thousands of miles with no issues. Plus he’s been using the hollow stem stainless with dual springs for a long minute without issues. I trust his judgment
Old 04-03-2018, 12:32 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by vertC6
I think sooner or later people are gonna come to conclusion the only way to truly fix these heads for long-term reliability is using a set of roller rockers. With a .658 lift the stock rockers are going to put a lot of side loading on the valve stem. I can't say with confidence that the moldstar 90 guides can even withstand long periods of time with that amount side loading.

I have been using the YT's for a year now and no issues. I'm going to take the valve covers off next week and do a wiggle test.

Here is my wipe pattern
This. Side loading will kill the guide much more rapidly than a properly aligned setup. Shaft rockers would be best, but any rocker that offers no preload should be put on immediately.

Get notified of new replies

To WCCH Heads Shot at 17k miles

Old 04-03-2018, 12:42 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Setting aside the issue of $$, would a full shaft/roller set-up be the most one can do to mitigate this issue?
Old 04-03-2018, 12:43 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
vertC6 - see the other thread. There are pro's and con's to roller rockers. It may be a partial solution but I don't think it's foolproof either.
How is there a con to running a roller or shaft rocker? They are better than the stocker in EVERY WAY possible...(other than cost of course).
Old 04-03-2018, 12:45 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Did you see the other new thread where the guy had a lower lift cam? I would not assume you're safe. Keep in mind guides wear out even with a stock cam. I don't have all the answers but I can tell you lift isn't the only factor at play here.
Are you suggesting that I be concerned because my lobe lifts are five-thousandths of one inch over an inexact number? It's not that I'm not concerned but to say that I am worried would be counterfactual.

Are you certain that your WCCH bronze guides are not shot because of the high valve side loading or perhaps it may have had something to do with the fact that you had bronze valve guides and heavy solid SS Rev valves? Chances are it's more than one factor. I don't have all the answers, either - I know LME uses solid SS valves and they build great stuff.

AHP doesn't offer bronze valve guides on their LS7 heads for a reason. If you're going to run bronze guides than you need to address the surface finish of the valves as Katech does with their TiMo coating on their valves, and they stand behind their solution. What TSP and WCCH have to say on this issue, I am not certain. For me, with AHP's Moldstar 90 valve guides, tumble polished DW Ti intake valves, Ferrea exhaust valves, and a CHE trunnion kit with manganese bronze trunnions, I banked my build/investment on the total solution.

Who knows, maybe my Moldstar 90 guides will stay true but the valves will start to wear because of the high valve side loading at even .635" inches of lobe lift. Only time will tell.

Quick Reply: WCCH Heads Shot at 17k miles