Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Coolant in oil STILL after head gaskets were replaced

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:17 AM
Galaviz06
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant in oil STILL after head gaskets were replaced

2007 Z06 coolant in the oil
Hello there, recently bought a 2007 Z06 with 30k on it. New block, sleeves, forged pistons, ported polished heads, boost cam and a P1 Procharger. Drove the car 800 miles home with no issues. Got home drove it around a couple weeks and the low coolant light came on. Come to find out there was coolant in the oil. Went ahead and replaced head gaskets and today drained the oil for the second time in 100 miles aince the head gasket replacement and found coolant in the oil stil (maybe about a quart worth of coolant). Heads were machined and inspected, block seemed fine, sleeves looked good, no evident signs of cracks. Not sure if it was old coolantnin there or new one. Reservoir did drop in level of coolant about 2 inches (which I thought was fine, i figured there was pockets of air and it was working its way out) not sure what else to do!
Old 04-05-2018, 07:13 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Did you thoroughly flushcthe system? Just bc you drain the radiator and overflow doesn't mean it's all out. The block holds a lot of coolant so you could be having residual oil in the coolant. Try a block pressure test or the dye that checks for exhaust gasses in the coolant
Old 04-05-2018, 07:59 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 261 Posts

heads inspected but including crack check? head gaskets go on the correct way? just thinking...........
Old 04-05-2018, 08:01 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 376 Likes on 301 Posts

Water can also be in the oil cooler is that was not flushed. You might also want to put in one of those GM stop leak tabs. I presume you changed filter too. I would also recheck head bolts/studs to make sure they did not move through the heat cycle process. I use the ARP assembly lube and that seems to be very good at keeping the torque specs.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:49 AM
Galaviz06
6th Gear

Originally Posted by redbird555
Did you thoroughly flushcthe system? Just bc you drain the radiator and overflow doesn't mean it's all out. The block holds a lot of coolant so you could be having residual oil in the coolant. Try a block pressure test or the dye that checks for exhaust gasses in the coolant
I got out what I could. Drained the oil when the heads were back on. Than addes fresh oil and filter and let or idle for about an hour. Drained it again and replaced oil and filter. Than did about 80 miles yesterday and drained again. It has about a good quart of coolant in the oil last night if not more.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Galaviz06
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
heads inspected but including crack check? head gaskets go on the correct way? just thinking...........
yeah double checked those a couple times.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:59 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Galaviz06
Hello there, recently bought a 2007 Z06 with 30k on it. New block, sleeves, forged pistons, ported polished heads, boost cam and a P1 Procharger. Drove the car 800 miles home with no issues. Got home drove it around a couple weeks and the low coolant light came on. Come to find out there was coolant in the oil. Went ahead and replaced head gaskets and today drained the oil for the second time in 100 miles aince the head gasket replacement and found coolant in the oil stil (maybe about a quart worth of coolant). Heads were machined and inspected, block seemed fine, sleeves looked good, no evident signs of cracks. Not sure if it was old coolantnin there or new one. Reservoir did drop in level of coolant about 2 inches (which I thought was fine, i figured there was pockets of air and it was working its way out) not sure what else to do!
Does yours have the engine oil cooler in the radiator? Those are famous for leaking and causing issues, especially when the DexCool is left in the system for too many years. If it hasn't had regular coolant flushes (every 5 years or so), that's what I would have checked first.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Galaviz06
6th Gear

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
Does yours have the engine oil cooler in the radiator? Those are famous for leaking and causing issues, especially when the DexCool is left in the system for too many years. If it hasn't had regular coolant flushes (every 5 years or so), that's what I would have checked first.

it has a separate oil cooler. Unless im not seeing something. Block was replaced through previous owner about 4k ago.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:37 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

OP, share your plight, been there...
Old 04-05-2018, 09:39 AM
Galaviz06
6th Gear

Originally Posted by double06
Water can also be in the oil cooler is that was not flushed. You might also want to put in one of those GM stop leak tabs. I presume you changed filter too. I would also recheck head bolts/studs to make sure they did not move through the heat cycle process. I use the ARP assembly lube and that seems to be very good at keeping the torque specs.

oil cooler was not flushed unfortunately, so hopefully it flushes out. Planning on refilling the oil this morning along wih a new filter and seeing if the coolant in the reservoir keeps dropping. I used plenty of the arp lube, torqued in the adequate sequence and went 5-10 more lbs than spec
Old 04-05-2018, 10:17 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Galaviz06
Before running it anymore, I would pressurize the cooling system and let it sit for several hours to see if you get more coolant in the oil. It doesn't take coolant long to starting hurting internals when it's mixed in the oil.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:48 PM
Galaviz06
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Before running it anymore, I would pressurize the cooling system and let it sit for several hours to see if you get more coolant in the oil. It doesn't take coolant long to starting hurting internals when it's mixed in the oil.
Update: i drained the oil and have had it draining for 10-12 hours, ive ran about 6 quarts of oil through the motor with no drain plugs on it while ive been doing this, i put a cooling system pressure tester on the car at 22psi and its down to 21.5 in 90 minutes
Old 04-05-2018, 02:41 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Maybe a very fine hairline crack in a sleeve? Did you do the build, or the previous owner? How many miles since the build? What sleeves, what block?
Old 04-05-2018, 05:09 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Put pressure back on the system. Remove the spark plugs. Look at the plugs for signs of antifreeze. If one looks suspect, put that piston at BDC. Find a scope that fits through the spark plug hole and look for antifreeze puddling on top of that piston. All I got for now unless you have a plate exchanger type oil cooler.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:48 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 395 Likes on 360 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Did you clean out the holes for the head bolts properly ? You can easily crack the block if not. Especially if there was water in them.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:51 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Very easy to have a small crack that opens up when motor is hot, but near impossible to see when cold.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:58 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Generally speaking, over torqueing your head-bolts by 5-10#'s is not a good idea. So if the torque you set the bolts to varied by that amount, the higher than spec'd torque and the difference between 5 & 10 on final numbers is enough to create the potential for problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant in oil STILL after head gaskets were replaced

Old 04-05-2018, 06:40 PM
phat87
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

Default JM2cW

1st off I ain't an expert but I got experience with head gasket problems on Corvettes with aluminum heads....believe me. 6000$ worth.

So, the horse is out of the barn, you have already done the head gaskets...so do the pressure leak down tests as suggested, buy a boreoscope from harbor freight and start lookin in the holes.

In hindsight..did you have the heads inspected for cracks? very important when dealing with aluminum heads. ( I believe you said you did not get the heads checked.)

Next important issue..get the heads surfaced, this is critical. 3rd, use GM original factory gaskets from the dealer. 4th Your head bolts are torque to yield, you have to use new GM (from the dealer) head bolts.

I realize all this " I told you so" is of no use to you at this point, but if you have to go back in follow the path to enlightenment.

Sorry for troubles. I know far too well the stress this issue can have on you.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:40 PM
jdsanteufemio
Navigator

Default What was the fix

Have you figured out what the issue was here?
Old 09-13-2020, 12:51 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Good question. I hate it when guys sign up on a forum to ask one question, get all the thoughts about the problem and then bail without providing the fix...

Quick Reply: Coolant in oil STILL after head gaskets were replaced