Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 bit the dust on the track the other day

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 07:13 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Default LS7 bit the dust on the track the other day

I was accelerating in third gear approaching redline when I heard a sound that sounded like driving over gravel coming from the front of the car followed by lots of smoke from coolant.

The thing that is bothering me is this:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tle-noise.html

I had been hearing that noise for several months. I checked the cats, I checked all around the wheel well where I heard the noise coming from, I checked the mufflers and the xpipe. Everything was totally fine, so now I am thinking that thise noise was actually an early warning from my valves/engine that was about to go.

Has anybody experienced a noise like that prior to their engine grenading?

Last edited by freaknbigpanda; 01-12-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:18 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Bro....
Old 04-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Drew03tx
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Valve failure is real and common, time to rebuild it and get aftermarket heads with better valve guides. AHP is what run on my car

Last edited by Drew03tx; 04-11-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:30 PM
PK Auto Design
Supporting Vendor

Received 138 Likes on 131 Posts

Ya sorry to say it but that was definitely at least one valve dropping completely. I would venture to possibly say the pistons and combustion chambers are pretty chewed up as well.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:31 PM
JesC6Z
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by freaknbigpanda
I was accelerating in third gear approaching redline when I heard a sound that sounded like driving over gravel coming from the front of the car followed by lots of smoke from coolant.

The thing that is bothering me is this:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tle-noise.html

I had been hearing that noise for several months. I checked the cats, I checked all around the wheel well where I heard the noise coming from, I checked the mufflers and the xpipe. Everything was totally fine, so now I am thinking that thise noise was actually an early warning from my valves/engine that was about to go.

Has anybody experienced a noise like that prior to their engine grenading?

Here is a video of the actual incident, is this the common valve problem with LS7s or is this something else?

https://www.facebook.com/FreaknBigPa...9870110263243/
that was hard to watch man. Was the engine stock? I’m assuming you weren’t aware of this issue or didn’t take it seriously? I feel for you bud it sucks losing such an expensive engine. Time to go 440ci or bigger. Like the man said above, nothing but great things from AHP. Their Moldstar guides are top notch from the information I’ve gathered and researched. Good luck

Last edited by JesC6Z; 04-11-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:40 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Vent the motor?
Old 04-11-2018, 08:13 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

Originally Posted by JesC6Z

that was hard to watch man. Was the engine stock? I’m assuming you weren’t aware of this issue or didn’t take it seriously? I feel for you bud it sucks losing such an expensive engine. Time to go 440ci or bigger. Like the man said above, nothing but great things from AHP. Their Moldstar guides are top notch from the information I’ve gathered and researched. Good luck
Yeah completely stock. I did take it seriously, I had the engine wiggle tested when I bought it and it was apparently in spec. I thought that since my engine was completely stock and since most people said that there was some early warning (sounds and whatnot) I could put it off until I heard something abnormal.. well I did hear something abnormal but I thought it was my exhaust Ugh oh well. I'm going to save up and get another ls7 long block.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Jjagg0125
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Yikes, I'm interested to see what/which broke exactly. More than likely a valve like said above, Sorry to see this.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:15 PM
AHP
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

Yikes.. Sorry about your loss. That said, next time (hopefully never) pull off the track ASAP in case you vented the block. Oil and coolant on the track can be a catastrophe very quickly.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:20 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Ouch. Hurts my heart to see another one go down. Genuinely feel for you bro. I only wish to comment on post grenading procedures if anyone in the community experiences the same unfortunate event...as soon as the engine lets go, PULL OVER ASAP! Obviously put it in neutral and coast as far as you must to get to a safe point on the track. But the fewer rotations the engine has to endure after a catastrophic event "usually" minimizes damage.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:22 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

OP, sorry for your loss. In for details on what exactly failed...I hope it's something where the block is salvageable at least.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:45 PM
JesC6Z
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by freaknbigpanda
Yeah completely stock. I did take it seriously, I had the engine wiggle tested when I bought it and it was apparently in spec. I thought that since my engine was completely stock and since most people said that there was some early warning (sounds and whatnot) I could put it off until I heard something abnormal.. well I did hear something abnormal but I thought it was my exhaust Ugh oh well. I'm going to save up and get another ls7 long block.
I'm sorry brother. Some have signs while others as I’ve personally talked too, it’s sudden under normal driving. It’s very unfortunate. What is the mileage if I can ask?
Old 04-11-2018, 10:04 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

37xxx
Old 04-11-2018, 10:21 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Real sorry to see this. Did you notice if you lost oil pressure? There are any number of things that could have happened here. Drain the oil and pull the valve covers immediately and start looking for metal. I'm thinking that motor has to come out though.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:24 AM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

I did loose oil pressure and there was oil leaking from my car when I towed it back home, I’m afraid the car is going to have to sit for awhile though - I don’t have the funds to fix it or a place to work on it right now. I’m going to spend the next while keeping my eyes open for long blocks on the forums hopefully I can get one cheap.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:08 AM
dubaitacker
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ohh that was painful to watch
Old 04-12-2018, 01:18 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Aw f#(k ............. I feel for you ............ my last C6Z starved itself of oil, while setting my BEST LAP EVER of Mosport, and spun #3 & #4 main crank bearings. It was much quieter than your failure (mine never dropped a valve) ..... simply "low oil pressure" after the main bearings welded themselves to the crank. FWIW, I had the Aviaid oil pan baffle and oil reservoir inserts installed, but they can only do so much when the system is down over 2qts ...........

The fact that yours was leaking oil?? Good chance some shrapnel punched a hole somewhere ... ouch .

At this point, my opinion is that for everyday "street driving", keeping a check of your valves (for excessive play) is probably fine, and the engine may run for miles and miles. But for track duty?? Nope. Too many failures. Maybe when they're brand new(ish), but that's it.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 bit the dust on the track the other day

Old 04-12-2018, 08:35 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,287 Likes on 932 Posts

X2

I know it sucks to have happen but dont keep driving all over the track line. Very dangerous.

Originally Posted by AHP
Yikes.. Sorry about your loss. That said, next time (hopefully never) pull off the track ASAP in case you vented the block. Oil and coolant on the track can be a catastrophe very quickly.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:59 AM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Not to detract from the main thread here but do you mind briefly sharing what year your car was? As a fellow Mosport visitor, I'm wondering if it had the smaller dry sump or larger one.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
Aw f#(k ............. I feel for you ............ my last C6Z starved itself of oil, while setting my BEST LAP EVER of Mosport, and spun #3 & #4 main crank bearings. It was much quieter than your failure (mine never dropped a valve) ..... simply "low oil pressure" after the main bearings welded themselves to the crank. FWIW, I had the Aviaid oil pan baffle and oil reservoir inserts installed, but they can only do so much when the system is down over 2qts
And to the OP, thanks for sharing - that video/sound is tough to swallow but maybe it will help save someone else's engine by encouraging them to check/fix theirs. Best of luck with the rebuild, and put me down for a +1 on pull off track/off line as soon as safely possible - coolant and oil on the track can lead to an even bigger disaster in no time at all.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

Ouch, that's going to hurt your wallet for sure. Sorry for your loss and good luck on finding another motor.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 bit the dust on the track the other day