Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6Z New AC Belt Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:21 AM
milosav2
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default C6Z New AC Belt Install

Hi all. My AC belt (part number 4 below) started making a noise a few days ago and I am trying to replace it. I went to NAPA and got a replacement and spent damn near 3 hours trying to put it in with a friend. Even while removing tension fully of the ac tensioner pulley (part number 3) the belt just seemed too short to throw it over.

We tried all possible permutations and came to the conclusion that first throwing the belt over the crank and ac pulleys then lastly over the tensioner pulley while turning it to remove tension is the easiest approach.

The belt just seemed way too short so I'll be stopping at the dealer this afternoon to pick up an oem one. Hopefully it'll work out this second time.

If anyone has any input or words of advice/pointers please let me know. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:28 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

You might have gotten wrong belt or somebody put wrong belt in the cardboard sleeve. It should go right on when you twist the tensioner to the install position. You will see marks on the tensioner where the belt should end up. There are 2-3 marks basically it should be in the middle of the 2 outer marks.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:34 AM
milosav2
Instructor

Originally Posted by double06
You might have gotten wrong belt or somebody put wrong belt in the cardboard sleeve. It should go right on when you twist the tensioner to the install position. You will see marks on the tensioner where the belt should end up. There are 2-3 marks basically it should be in the middle of the 2 outer marks.
Yea, that's what I think the issue is/was as well. I've never had to pry on the belt so hard to the point of tearing it.

You mention marks on the tensioner for aligning the belt. Are these marks on the belt running surface of the pulley itself (etched in lines or something to that extent)? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:04 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

etched on the body and the arm you will see them - as arm moves theses notches you will see on the side there.
The following users liked this post:
milosav2 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:48 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

I think Dayco has the wrong spec. When I had my belts off for heads/cam they couldn't get the new Dayco accessory belt that I gave them back on and said it was too short. Ever so slightly but it just wouldn't fit. Ended up just using my original.

I remember doing a brief search of comparable belts by different manufacturers, and I thought the Dayco that I had was the shortest. I was going to send Dayco a note but never got around to it.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:51 PM
milosav2
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigVette427
I think Dayco has the wrong spec. When I had my belts off for heads/cam they couldn't get the new Dayco accessory belt that I gave them back on and said it was too short. Ever so slightly but it just wouldn't fit. Ended up just using my original.

I remember doing a brief search of comparable belts by different manufacturers, and I thought the Dayco that I had was the shortest. I was going to send Dayco a note but never got around to it.
Correct. Dayco belt is 40.95" and it was way too short. I just bought a
42.375" Gates belt 42.375" Gates belt
and should have no issue putting it on.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:56 PM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Interesting enough -my AC belt gave out as well.

I ordered a Gates K040418. Hope is the right one.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:01 PM
milosav2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Da Z06
Interesting enough -my AC belt gave out as well.

I ordered a Gates K040418. Hope is the right one.
Update: The Gates AC belt that I linked above works flawlessly. Went on in less than 10 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
Da Z06 (04-23-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z New AC Belt Install

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6Z New AC Belt Install