Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

New Guy Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 10:32 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
I can't tell if you understood what I meant, which is to avoid all superchargers and use only turbochargers on combustion engines. Even if it needs to go in the back of the car. there is a 2000 horsepower twin rear mount vette running around, doing mile races just fine.
Got ya, I was tracking the forced induction supercharger piece. I didn't catch on to the turbo suggestion. But now that you mention it, I completely get what you said on the other post haha.

I don't have any experience in the corvettes and turbo's. However, and maybe I was just young and too in inexperienced with knowing/understanding power curves, throttle control and other things, but tracking a turbo Viper was difficult and nearly aggravating to control at certain entry and exits with turns depending on speed/rpm's from boost.

I now know you're speaking in generalities on turbo's being safer and more efficient on combustion engines than superchargers, but my hats off to anybody taking a turbo vette to the track. I love a good rush, I would enjoy a passenger seat ride on one of those.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:27 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Thanks for your service... I have 31 yrs US Army. My oldest son served 5 years in the Navy and now works for General Dynamics. ( making 3x what he did in the Navy). My 18 y/o just graduated Naval boot camp in Great Lakes. Currently attending his A school for the next 15 weeks... Keep us posted on your build.. Plenty of truly knowledgeable guys on this forum.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:28 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Ben (Inovate) is an AF guy.... Well, you gotta serve somewhere.... lol
The following users liked this post:
Innovate (05-09-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 08:50 AM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Thanks for your service... I have 31 yrs US Army. My oldest son served 5 years in the Navy and now works for General Dynamics. ( making 3x what he did in the Navy). My 18 y/o just graduated Naval boot camp in Great Lakes. Currently attending his A school for the next 15 weeks... Keep us posted on your build.. Plenty of truly knowledgeable guys on this forum.
Wow, 31 years! Congrats, that's a great career. Thanks for your service as well.

Great choices for your kids, mine are all too young or I would gladly send them to boot camp haha... there's a lot of opportunity on the outside if guys truly apply themselves. You don't see it as much now, and the younger generation seems to have a sense of entitlement.

Gotta raise them right so they make enough money to buy dad that c8 zr1...
Old 05-07-2018, 10:59 AM
71HO454
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by VelocityC6z
First off, I just bought my C6Z about two weeks ago. Velocity Yellow(hence the name), under 40k miles in Pittsburgh PA. I'm active duty in Hampton Roads.

I'm planning a complete bolt on build, with top internals. I think I've gathered enough information from the years on what I want to do. This forum and you guys have so much experience in here, and lessons learned that it made it easy to make the decisions to get to 600 whp on a stock bottom and na.

Originally I wanted to go ECS or A&A centri supercharged, likely ECS due to location. Couldn't go wrong with either in my opinion, but then the guide rod and valvetrain issues with the LS7 made me paranoid. The engine sounds great, like a sewing machine, not super smooth. I plan to remove the valve covers next weekend for the wiggle test.

in the mean time, something I haven't been able to entirely find and easy answer on by searching. I believe it's a sub contracting issue from GM having somebody else machine the heads, and tolerance getting messed up there. However, have there been any correlations between the actual builders of the engine, and engines with dropped valves?

Just looking for some reassurance. This winter I'm going with AHP, and just rebuilding them. Only planning on driving the Z on nice sunny days, a little spirited driving, but I would hate to lose the motor when I've already got plans on a top end rebuild about 8 months down the road after I save a little more.

Huge thanks to all of you guys for all the information you've gathered here. Very happy to finally be an owner of a true piece of American History!

Drive the car and have fun with it.. Buy a warranty, if it stresses you that much.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:34 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

True statement... I am a realist and have instilled in all of my kids that this world OWES THEM NOTHING!! They have to go "earn" it...
My 26 y/o son as I told you works for General Dynamics... He does something w missile launch systems.. Still travels to Japan, W coast, Hawaii, and currently in Dubai....

The 18 y/o is in school to service, rebuild Jet Turbine (gas) engines along w electrical circuits... Perhaps one day he can build old Dad a turbo system...

My 17 y/o daughter graduates HS next year... Annapolis, West Point is where she is leaning... Worst case she'll go to Texas A&M, and go in as a 2LT.... lol...

Wow, 31 years! Congrats, that's a great career. Thanks for your service as well.

Great choices for your kids, mine are all too young or I would gladly send them to boot camp haha... there's a lot of opportunity on the outside if guys truly apply themselves. You don't see it as much now, and the younger generation seems to have a sense of entitlement.

Gotta raise them right so they make enough money to buy dad that c8 zr1...

Last edited by TXGS507; 05-07-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:09 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

True statement... I am a realist and have instilled in all of my kids that this world OWES THEM NOTHING!! They have to go "earn" it...
My 26 y/o son as I told you works for General Dynamics... He does something w missile launch systems.. Still travels to Japan, W coast, Hawaii, and currently in Dubai....

The 18 y/o is in school to service, rebuild Jet Turbine (gas) engines along w electrical circuits... Perhaps one day he can build old Dad a turbo system...

My 17 y/o daughter graduates HS next year... Annapolis, West Point is where she is leaning... Worst case she'll go to Texas A&M, and go in as a 2LT.... lol...
Wow, they are definitely on their way to success. Getting accepted to an academy is great, it's almost a guarantee career. It apparently takes an act of congress to get dropped from the Naval academy as far as I've been told. But definitely a difficult school to get accepted to. Your 31 years in the service should help... I've heard a letter to your states governor could also be helpful.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:34 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

One of my Commanders is a West Point Grad... He just happened to graduate with the current Commandants son... He has drinks and cigars at his home. He also works for one of the Congressmen in Tulsa Ok and assists in selecting HS kids that are applying. He has told my daughter exactly what she needs to do since she was a Freshmen.
National honor society, outreach work, sports, lettering in something, she has done it all and then some. Currently the president of the JNHS... Not bragging... Just blessed and proud.... Ok,,,, back to Corvettes!! Sorry to clutter up your thread...
Old 05-08-2018, 01:51 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

One of my Commanders is a West Point Grad... He just happened to graduate with the current Commandants son... He has drinks and cigars at his home. He also works for one of the Congressmen in Tulsa Ok and assists in selecting HS kids that are applying. He has told my daughter exactly what she needs to do since she was a Freshmen.
National honor society, outreach work, sports, lettering in something, she has done it all and then some. Currently the president of the JNHS... Not bragging... Just blessed and proud.... Ok,,,, back to Corvettes!! Sorry to clutter up your thread...
You should be proud Matt...too many kids out there lacking discipline, eating tide pods and snorting condoms.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:12 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Thanks for the kind words friend....

My wife actually told me about the Tide Pods, snorting condoms thing...

Back in my day we wore those on our ***** back when I spent time in Germany, Italy, France.... ( young and single back then)

Tide was for washing our clothes.. But it was in powder form....

In Afghanistan, Iraq we used Tide powder for other things... Makes a bad *** Molotav cocktail...

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
You should be proud Matt...too many kids out there lacking discipline, eating tide pods and snorting condoms.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:15 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Said kids....
Old 05-08-2018, 09:53 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Thanks for the kind words friend....

My wife actually told me about the Tide Pods, snorting condoms thing...

Back in my day we wore those on our ***** back when I spent time in Germany, Italy, France.... ( young and single back then)

Tide was for washing our clothes.. But it was in powder form....

In Afghanistan, Iraq we used Tide powder for other things... Makes a bad *** Molotav cocktail...

^ that....

havent used tide... but, there's quite the supply of other products still around.

Brag all you want to, you've earned it haha. Raised the kids right. Ahhh RTC Great Lales, I hope I only ever go back there if I get my kids to join.
TXGS507 (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 07:43 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

You have a beautiful family Command Sergeant Major and children to be proud of.
TXGS507 (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 09:12 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Wow... Thanks Anthony!! Today my daughter turns 17....

Originally Posted by Mordeth
You have a beautiful family Command Sergeant Major and children to be proud of.

Last edited by TXGS507; 05-09-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:49 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

If her end goal is military, either one ends in being an officer. She definitely would like it way better. Texas A&M would be where I would go, the other two are like you are already in the military lol. My cousin graduated West Point and he never seemed to be happy about it. West Point does have a nice campus and if she wants the name, that is the place to go.

I am currently debating on getting out next year and using my Post 9-11 GI Bill to go to school, not a fan of Enlisted money and would like to go into engineering or come back as an officer. Too many variables to consider right now.

Matt I will say you definitely have a family to be proud of and Happy Birthday to your daughter!
Old 05-09-2018, 05:39 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Thank you Ben....
If you must go to the dark side there is always OCS..... One of my brothers are a retired 06 (Col).. he started out enlisted. His retirement.. drumroll............ $90K annually.... His wife is also a retired 06... He's 7 yrs older than me... ( 60) and is killin it!!

VelocityC6Z.... Thank you for allowing me to go WAY off topic... It was not my intent... BUT when I see fellow brothers in arms DESPITE with whom they serve/d I get side tracked.

I digress.... Thanks for making an old guy smile....

Originally Posted by Innovate
If her end goal is military, either one ends in being an officer. She definitely would like it way better. Texas A&M would be where I would go, the other two are like you are already in the military lol. My cousin graduated West Point and he never seemed to be happy about it. West Point does have a nice campus and if she wants the name, that is the place to go.

I am currently debating on getting out next year and using my Post 9-11 GI Bill to go to school, not a fan of Enlisted money and would like to go into engineering or come back as an officer. Too many variables to consider right now.

Matt I will say you definitely have a family to be proud of and Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Last edited by TXGS507; 05-09-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Thank you Ben....
If you must go to the dark side there is always OCS..... One of my brothers are a retired 06 (Col).. he started out enlisted. His retirement.. drumroll............ $90K annually.... His wife is also a retired 06... He's 7 yrs older than me... ( 60) and is killin it!!

VelocityC6Z.... Thank you for allowing me to go WAY off topic... It was not my intent... BUT when I see fellow brothers in arms DESPITE with whom they serve/d I get side tracked.

You're welcome man. Enlisted to Officer is an option, I am currently in school. $90K would be awesome during retirement, I would have no idea what I would do with it. Shoot what you recieve in retirement I would be happy with haha! Retirement is a big reason why I still am considering staying in.

Apologies from sidetracking this thread as well! Mention military and all threads take a turn.

Velocity, take your Z off the road for the month and do the heads. It definitely is painful, I have to update my thread but my girl may be coming back alive Sunday and cannot wait!

Last edited by Innovate; 05-09-2018 at 06:09 PM.
TXGS507 (05-09-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To New Guy Questions

Old 05-09-2018, 06:55 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

SCUBSCRIBED for results of build.....
Old 05-09-2018, 06:56 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Thank you Ben....

This was enjoyable for me, I enjoy getting to know others who serve/served around places where we all have common interests, especially corvettes.

Innovate, I'm actually talking with Jason over at Katech. I'll likely deliver the car to his shop next spring to do the Stage 2 package. In the mean time, i'll be cleaning it every couple of days, staring at it, and may make an occasional grocery store run that's about two miles away... maybe if i'm lucky i will put gas in it twice between now and then.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:09 PM
Innovate
Drifting

This was enjoyable for me, I enjoy getting to know others who serve/served around places where we all have common interests, especially corvettes.

Innovate, I'm actually talking with Jason over at Katech. I'll likely deliver the car to his shop next spring to do the Stage 2 package. In the mean time, i'll be cleaning it every couple of days, staring at it, and may make an occasional grocery store run that's about two miles away... maybe if i'm lucky i will put gas in it twice between now and then.
I understand that, it definitely is pretty cool to talk military to others across the US (around the globe as well, if there is anyone on here stationed overseas) on here.

Katech has a solid package and knows what they are doing, they were a tad much for me. I did find great used heads though and I am cheap. Well, cheap to a point. C6Z's are not cars to cheap out on with some parts.

If you have extra time check out the DIY head thread on CF, it is not too bad if you are doing heads only. Pulling the cam and the rest of it will be the pain, I luckily have a fellow AF buddy who did his LS3 Camaro that has done it all before and we have gone through everything pretty well. I knew nothing of LS motors before this and with his help I learned a ton. It would be doable by yourself but it would take a long time.

Cleaning? That is up my alley haha, I detail on the side.

Quick Reply: New Guy Questions