Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Service manuals from Helm Inc

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 12:30 AM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Service manuals from Helm Inc

Has anyone ordered Service Manuals from Helm Inc? I want to get the service manuals for my 2010 and thought Helm offered the red colored book version but when I went to place my order there is red print at the bottom that says:

*This manual is a digital reprint of the original publication. It is possible that this item will be in loose-leaf format*

So has anyone ordered from Helm? Did you get the red books or just a loose leaf booklet?
Old 05-11-2018, 11:22 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by DanMan35
Has anyone ordered Service Manuals from Helm Inc? I want to get the service manuals for my 2010 and thought Helm offered the red colored book version but when I went to place my order there is red print at the bottom that says:

*This manual is a digital reprint of the original publication. It is possible that this item will be in loose-leaf format*

So has anyone ordered from Helm? Did you get the red books or just a loose leaf booklet?
I have ordered my manuals from Helm for years. The reason it says that is because ALL GM manuals are now digital for the dealer. They no longer use printed manuals but they are still made from the digital info. Mine have never been loose leaf but over time who knows. I would call them to order and check.

Last edited by GMJim; 05-11-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:26 PM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Is there a way to only purchase a digital copy?
Old 05-11-2018, 11:52 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by grady
Is there a way to only purchase a digital copy?
I don't believe you can get a digital Corvette manual. Check here

http://www.helminc.com/helm/result.asp?Style=helm
Old 05-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,149 Likes on 601 Posts

I don't know what year it was but at some point in recent time Helm, Inc. stopped "publishing" service manuals and began "reprinting" the digital content that's on the GM Service Information (GMSi) web site which dealer technicians use. In some cases, the pages come loosely and you have to supply your own binder. Sheesh.

There is a little-known (at least so far) program that ACDelco runs were third party users, such as independant shops and DIYs like us can access GMSi just like dealer techs and it's much cheaper than other on-line service information sources such as "Alldata".

ACD sells subscriptions to GMSi at a very resonable price. There are three levels of subs: three days for $20, one month for $150 and a year for $1200." Do the math and twenty bucks for three days works out to $6.67 a day, the one month "sub" comes in at $5.00 a day and the annual subscription, $3.29 a day.

For DIYs doing regular service work on GM vehicles, GMSi represents a hell of a deal when you consider competitors, Alldata and Mitchell charge $169.00 a month, which for a year, would come to $2068. Plus the GM service has a three-day option which neither Alldata nor Mitchell have. Admittedly, for some consumers, even GMSi's 1200 bucks is still pretty steep, but look at it another way. Say, three or four times a year, you work on a Corvette to the extent that you need factory service information, so, for a total of 60 or 80 bucks, you buy some three-day subscriptions to GMSi and get the information you need.

I've had a sub to GMSi for about 18 months and it's worked out great. I wrote a product review of the service for another web site. CF rules do not allow me to link to that site or post the URL or the name but if you search using keywords "ACDelco GM Service Information (GMSi)" you'll likely find that review.

For more information on ACDeco's GMSi subscriptions, see the left panel of this page

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 05-12-2018 at 12:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nowanker (05-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Service manuals from Helm Inc

Quick Reply: Service manuals from Helm Inc