Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR1 - splitter / side skirts / spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 01:37 PM
G6612
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts
Default ZR1 - splitter / side skirts / spoiler

I have a 2006 Z06 and i was looking at getting the ZR1 front splitter side skirts and rear spioiler. Can anyone recommend a manufacture that makes a quality product? Looking at C7 carbon, I contacted a local body shop and they appeared hesitant to install and not sure i am up to the task to do myself. I would appreciate any guidance on this.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:01 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

Apsis, APR, Lingenfelter, and Katech all make very high quality pieces.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:23 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Just installed the C7 pieces on mine, fit and finish were great.
Pain in the *** to install the F bumper skin reinforcement, but not the end of the world...
And I used some extra rivets at the front of the side skirts to keep them tucked up against the body.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:27 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

I'd love to have a set too, but my wallet wants no part of it!
Old 06-14-2018, 02:48 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

I had to replace the front splitter on my ZR1 and I ordered it from C7 Carbon. Very very happy with it at a fraction of the cost.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:00 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

I ordered a set from RPI a few weeks ago. Still waiting on delivery because they were out of stock apparently. I will update my thoughts when I receive them.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:40 PM
ZoeDuc
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

In the market for side skirts, who did you decide to go with?
thanks

Last edited by ZoeDuc; 08-15-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:36 AM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZoeDuc
In the market for side skirts, who did you decide to go with?
thanks
I went with RPI Designs. I am happy with first and finish overall but it took 2 months to receive all my parts.

The following users liked this post:
ZoeDuc (12-08-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 04:42 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

I didn't go with Carbon Fiber as it wasn't the look I wanted. I purchased mine from Extreme Online and my spoiler from DAR Spoilers.

Installation of the splitter and skirts was incredibly easy. First thing to do is go buy a roll of 3M VHB (Very High Bonding) double sided tape. Once you have test fitted the pieces, put a few pieces of tape on each piece and slip it into place. The tape will easily hold, allowing you to drill the holes. I used pop rivets and everything went incredibly well and quickly. It took more time to jack the car up, place the jacks, and remove the rear wheels than it did to put on the side rails or splitter.

Just measure and sight fit very carefully before you drill.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:50 AM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mcrider
I didn't go with Carbon Fiber as it wasn't the look I wanted. I purchased mine from Extreme Online and my spoiler from DAR Spoilers.

Installation of the splitter and skirts was incredibly easy. First thing to do is go buy a roll of 3M VHB (Very High Bonding) double sided tape. Once you have test fitted the pieces, put a few pieces of tape on each piece and slip it into place. The tape will easily hold, allowing you to drill the holes. I used pop rivets and everything went incredibly well and quickly. It took more time to jack the car up, place the jacks, and remove the rear wheels than it did to put on the side rails or splitter.

Just measure and sight fit very carefully before you drill.
I agree with all said here but my splitter took a couple of hours because I bought the fascia support so it doesn't bend down. You have to remove the front fascia to install it but in the end it's all worth it. I considered the flat plastic look since the rear diffuser is plastic but decided to go carbon and I am glad I did. I will be adding a carbon diffuser in the future. Also I dont know if makes any difference of not but I have not added a ZR1 rear spoiler yet and now it seems like at higher speeds the rear feels like its loose and skating on ice. I wouldn't think the splitter causes that much of a difference in down force but I could be wrong. Any thoughts?
Old 08-16-2018, 08:05 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by G6612
I have a 2006 Z06 and i was looking at getting the ZR1 front splitter side skirts and rear spioiler. Can anyone recommend a manufacture that makes a quality product? Looking at C7 carbon, I contacted a local body shop and they appeared hesitant to install and not sure i am up to the task to do myself. I would appreciate any guidance on this.
Not sure I would have a shop do the work if they are hesitant about installing the ZR1 kit. It is a pretty straight forward easy install and takes a little nerve to drill, rivet or screw side skirts. A lot here on the forum, including myself, have taken on the DIY challenge. The key is to start with the rear pieces and work you way to the front for best alignment. I prefer using the self tap screws as if for any reason you need to dismantle or replace. I would hate to have to drill the rivets out and leaving them rolling around in the body cavity.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:44 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by 03BlkZ
I agree with all said here but my splitter took a couple of hours because I bought the fascia support so it doesn't bend down. You have to remove the front fascia to install it but in the end it's all worth it. I considered the flat plastic look since the rear diffuser is plastic but decided to go carbon and I am glad I did. I will be adding a carbon diffuser in the future. Also I dont know if makes any difference of not but I have not added a ZR1 rear spoiler yet and now it seems like at higher speeds the rear feels like its loose and skating on ice. I wouldn't think the splitter causes that much of a difference in down force but I could be wrong. Any thoughts?

If you increase downforce in the front with a splitter and don't compensate for it in the rear with a spoiler or wing, you are definitely going to change the handling dynamics of the car. I have to wonder tho about the true effectiveness of the standard ZR1 spoiler in providing the necessary downforce when there is the ZR1 splitter up front. I went with the extended wickerbill design for both looks and additional the downforce.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:58 PM
ExtremeOnlineStore
Supporting Vendor

Received 128 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by G6612
Check out our website for more C6 parts & accessories NOW! - Best price | Free Shipping

C6 Parts & Accessories
Old 08-16-2018, 09:02 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 03BlkZ
I went with RPI Designs. I am happy with first and finish overall but it took 2 months to receive all my parts.

Love the look and the carbon fiber finish. My driveway is too steep and its hit and miss if I scrape the stock splitter getting in and out. If I ever and don't have a suburban curb to climb, this is what I'm getting.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:42 AM
ZoeDuc
Advanced

Originally Posted by mkitt27
Love the look and the carbon fiber finish. My driveway is too steep and its hit and miss if I scrape the stock splitter getting in and out. If I ever and don't have a suburban curb to climb, this is what I'm getting.
You could make some ramps! 😊

Old 12-07-2018, 02:23 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I've been thinking of doing this at my house and want to make my own. Could you provide an identification of the metal you used? Thickness would be helpful Thanks
Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

That's an interesting idea! I had considered filling w/ some concrete at my previous place but I'm sure the city would have had me remove it.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:13 PM
ZoeDuc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
I've been thinking of doing this at my house and want to make my own. Could you provide an identification of the metal you used? Thickness would be helpful Thanks
It’s Steel tread plate, 10 gauge, with square tubing welded on the bottom.
Super heavy, a pain when it rains, they catch all the leaves and stuff. But hey, it does keep it out of the storm drain! 😊

Originally Posted by mkitt27
That's an interesting idea! I had considered filling w/ some concrete at my previous place but I'm sure the city would have had me remove it.
That’s exactly what we wanted to do, but the city said no. I hate wasting water, but I do have to clean under them a lot. 😕
Old 12-10-2018, 11:04 AM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I have ACS Composites on my Z06. Fit and finish is outstanding.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 - splitter / side skirts / spoiler

Quick Reply: ZR1 - splitter / side skirts / spoiler