Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Interior rattle at 1500rpms

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 07:51 PM
jymboslice
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Interior rattle at 1500rpms

Hey,

i have a slight issue. I installed an akrapovic axle back late last year and have been having all sorts of issues with the fitment of it.

I have ARH headers/off-road mid pipe and only when the car is warm (up to operating temps) I get a noticeable interior vibration at 1500rpms only. It rattles the passenger side seat area and the whole rear hatch area.

I did not have this issue with my prior b&b axlebacks, only the akrapovic. Has anyone else had this issue with their exhaust and what was your fix? I cannot find any noticeable rubbing marks but the passenger side tube is really close to the trans casing.

Is this a case of the exhaust rubbing somewhere? I’m guessing it could be the clamps rubbing the tunnel area or the tube hitting the trans case.

Any help or insight? Or anything to look for?

The car is cammed too but I don’t think that should matter? I also installed the Pfadt trans mounts? Could that be the issue?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:05 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Does this sound like the same issue? I also have an H/C/I/E Z06 with the Akrapovic setup.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ctor-area.html

Last edited by Frankie15; 06-21-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:06 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

It may be totally different but I just repaired a rattle in my 2008 Z06. It was the oil tank O-Ring. What it is, is there is a tube that runs inside the oil tank and at the top of the tube there is an O-ring that tends to dry rot and break. This allows the tube to rattle inside the tank. Mine only did I it around 1500 rpm and after the car was warmed up. Search here or google C6 Z06 oil tank O-ring and you will see what I am talking about. Check out this you tube video and see if this is what it sounds like.

Last edited by 03BlkZ; 06-21-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:22 PM
jymboslice
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frankie15
Does this sound like the same issue? I also have an H/C/I/E Z06 with the Akrapovic setup.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ctor-area.html
No I don’t think so. It’s not necessarily a buzzing sound, it’s like a rattling sound. Like a bad rattle from an exhaust tube hitting the body because it rattles the passenger side area and the whole back of the hatch area. But I cannot see any where it could be rattling at. I’m at a loss. I think it might be the clamps for the ARH midpipe hitting the body when they’re warmed up but I don’t know.

Did you have have any clearance issues with your akrapovic system?

Originally Posted by 03BlkZ
It may be totally different but I just repaired a rattle in my 2008 Z06. It was the oil tank O-Ring. What it is, is there is a tube that runs inside the oil tank and at the top of the tube there is an O-ring that tends to dry rot and break. This allows the tube to rattle inside the tank. Mine only did I it around 1500 rpm and after the car was warmed up. Search here or google C6 Z06 oil tank O-ring and you will see what I am talking about. Check out this you tube video and see if this is what it sounds like.
http://youtu.be/E7cN1zd1MAA
It doesn’t sound like that. I had Lingenfelter add their tank expansion to my oil tank and added a aviaid tank insert and my o-ring looked like new. That sounds like a tapping sound, right?

either way, thank you both for the responses! I appreciate it. I’m about to give it to a local shop to diagnose the issue because I’m close to being done with messing with this thing.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:24 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

No problem! Good luck with the fix! I cant stand a damn rattle in any vehicle.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:34 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jymboslice

No I don’t think so. It’s not necessarily a buzzing sound, it’s like a rattling sound. Like a bad rattle from an exhaust tube hitting the body because it rattles the passenger side area and the whole back of the hatch area. But I cannot see any where it could be rattling at. I’m at a loss. I think it might be the clamps for the ARH midpipe hitting the body when they’re warmed up but I don’t know.

Did you have have any clearance issues with your akrapovic system?

It doesn’t sound like that. I had Lingenfelter add their tank expansion to my oil tank and added a aviaid tank insert and my o-ring looked like new. That sounds like a tapping sound, right?

either way, thank you both for the responses! I appreciate it. I’m about to give it to a local shop to diagnose the issue because I’m close to being done with messing with this thing.

I bought the car from a forum member who had the Akrapovic exhaust on it already. He told me it was definitely a pain to get it installed correctly. I don't have any rattles. I thought I had an exhaust rattle, but it happened when I got on it at higher RPM (>4000+ RPM), but it turned out to be the MGW shifter with the stock lower box. Went away when I got the newer MGW shifter with their lower box.

I have the exact exhaust setup as you as well. Akrapovic exhaust with ARH 1 7/8 headers with catless x-pipe.

Best of luck getting your issue resolved. Rattles definitely suck.

Last edited by Frankie15; 06-21-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:14 AM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey,

i have a slight issue. I installed an akrapovic axle back late last year and have been having all sorts of issues with the fitment of it.

I have ARH headers/off-road mid pipe and only when the car is warm (up to operating temps) I get a noticeable interior vibration at 1500rpms only. It rattles the passenger side seat area and the whole rear hatch area.

I did not have this issue with my prior b&b axlebacks, only the akrapovic. Has anyone else had this issue with their exhaust and what was your fix? I cannot find any noticeable rubbing marks but the passenger side tube is really close to the trans casing.

Is this a case of the exhaust rubbing somewhere? I’m guessing it could be the clamps rubbing the tunnel area or the tube hitting the trans case.

Any help or insight? Or anything to look for?

The car is cammed too but I don’t think that should matter? I also installed the Pfadt trans mounts? Could that be the issue?
I battled the same thing with my Corsa's...finally found it. Here is a check list of things to eliminate
  • Exhaust hanger springs both mid pipe and rubber bushings behind valence
  • Lip of heat guard pan underneath car under trunk
  • Shocks
  • Cat internals broken free
  • Muffler insides broke free
  • Sway bar end links(more of a pop)
  • Brake line mounding points
  • Parking brake spring on wheel hum
  • Brake pads in caliper
  • Parking brake pad wire spring
  • Basic clearance of pipes over axle and back bumper

Good luck!
Old 06-23-2018, 01:45 PM
jymboslice
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frankie15
I bought the car from a forum member who had the Akrapovic exhaust on it already. He told me it was definitely a pain to get it installed correctly. I don't have any rattles. I thought I had an exhaust rattle, but it happened when I got on it at higher RPM (>4000+ RPM), but it turned out to be the MGW shifter with the stock lower box. Went away when I got the newer MGW shifter with their lower box.

I have the exact exhaust setup as you as well. Akrapovic exhaust with ARH 1 7/8 headers with catless x-pipe.

Best of luck getting your issue resolved. Rattles definitely suck.
i had that shifter rattle too but switched to the MGW shifter with their box and it solved that issue. For the price of the akrapovic, you would think the system would just fall right into place. My system is way too long for the car and doesnt have any wiggle room for adjustments. The muffler hangers end (the bend part) is right up against the rubber mounts.

Originally Posted by TTZ06VETTE
I battled the same thing with my Corsa's...finally found it. Here is a check list of things to eliminate
  • Exhaust hanger springs both mid pipe and rubber bushings behind valence
  • Lip of heat guard pan underneath car under trunk
  • Shocks
  • Cat internals broken free
  • Muffler insides broke free
  • Sway bar end links(more of a pop)
  • Brake line mounding points
  • Parking brake spring on wheel hum
  • Brake pads in caliper
  • Parking brake pad wire spring
  • Basic clearance of pipes over axle and back bumper

Good luck!
What did you do to fix the issue you were having with your corsa’s?

Im going to knock all these potential problems off my list so thank you for the suggestions!
Old 06-23-2018, 03:17 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

i had that shifter rattle too but switched to the MGW shifter with their box and it solved that issue. For the price of the akrapovic, you would think the system would just fall right into place. My system is way too long for the car and doesnt have any wiggle room for adjustments. The muffler hangers end (the bend part) is right up against the rubber mounts.

What did you do to fix the issue you were having with your corsa’s?

Im going to knock all these potential problems off my list so thank you for the suggestions!
Honestly, I’m not sure because once I got under the car and started hitting things with a rubber mallet, everything seemed to rattle. So I fixed the hangers mid and muffler, gutted my cats, Silicone the free floating washers to the bumpstops on my DRM Bilsteins, and trimmed the heat panel under the trunk for the Corsa’s. The rest of the stuff looked alright but had the potential to rattle. One of those things fixed the problem.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:31 PM
jymboslice
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TTZ06VETTE

Honestly, I’m not sure because once I got under the car and started hitting things with a rubber mallet, everything seemed to rattle. So I fixed the hangers mid and muffler, gutted my cats, Silicone the free floating washers to the bumpstops on my DRM Bilsteins, and trimmed the heat panel under the trunk for the Corsa’s. The rest of the stuff looked alright but had the potential to rattle. One of those things fixed the problem.
I’m going to order new hangers for the car (figured it’s time after 13 years). I should have done that when I added my cam but I don’t know what I was thinking. My heat panel is kinda smashed on the passenger side because I didn’t know I had to drop the damn trans just to get the akrapovics in. The bent corner of the heat shield (under the trunk) might be rattling against the body so that very might as well be the culprit. My DRM Bilsteins don’t rattle but I might copy you and silicone the washers.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:51 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

HOLY CRAP I have this same issue. I have ARH 2" w/3" catless X and I tapped on it all and there still seems to be a rattle in the passenger compartment like the exhaust hitting. It will be there sometimes and gone sometimes as well. I have no idea what it is either.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:13 PM
jymboslice
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Innovate
HOLY CRAP I have this same issue. I have ARH 2" w/3" catless X and I tapped on it all and there still seems to be a rattle in the passenger compartment like the exhaust hitting. It will be there sometimes and gone sometimes as well. I have no idea what it is either.
what axle back system do you have?

are your primary tubes close to the trans cooler lines at all?

Last edited by jymboslice; 06-23-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:42 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

what axle back system do you have?

are your primary tubes close to the trans cooler lines at all?
Stock and I will have to check, I have not looked at that yet.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:16 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Try hitting your rear shocks with a rubber mallet. If they “jingle” it is the washers. Spoke to Randy at DRM and he said I could remove them as the vette rarely if ever bottoms the suspension. Instead I just bought some marine grade sealant at Home Depot and siliconed the loose washer to the rubber bump stop. Worked great.
Corsa said my exhaust can expand almost 1/2 inch when hot so just because your clearance is good when cold it changes when hot. Also the exhaust changes when the weight is on the tires vs. when jacked up. I wrapped all tubes and lines around the rear diff with DEI insulating tape in case there was contact as well.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:37 AM
03worthy4link
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

When I first installed the akra I didnt tighten the spring 'hanger' that suspends the exhaust in the rear enough. It began to rattle and I was furious. Went back underneath and found it had shifted about after everything settled and tigthened the **** out of it, no more rattle. Something simple to check.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:11 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 03worthy4link
When I first installed the akra I didnt tighten the spring 'hanger' that suspends the exhaust in the rear enough. It began to rattle and I was furious. Went back underneath and found it had shifted about after everything settled and tigthened the **** out of it, no more rattle. Something simple to check.
Alex! What's up man? Didn't know you were still active on here. I appreciate the work you put into the Akrapovic. It sounds great for me and no rattles, haha! I do have a rattle when the baffles are closed, but that's due to the exhaust actuators. Been meaning to try to resolve it. Saw some users who have used some zip-ties to alleviate some of the pressure on the valve stem and that fixed it. Might try some e-clips or something. The valves are rarely closed so it hasn't gotten the attention it deserves .

Can't believe it's almost been a year since I bought my Z06 from you. Time flies!

What did you end up getting to replace the Z?

Last edited by Frankie15; 06-26-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2023, 07:04 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This link is to ONE video--->https://photos.app.goo.gl/E3XcyjQM34MUzyE9A

This other link is to a handful of videos in case anyone is curious enough to listen------> https://photos.app.goo.gl/5sHKyzA5oD8jmez46

I have a 2013 Grand Sport with 27,xxx miles. I've been daily driving it for over a year now. Around May 2023 it started making the noise you hear in the video above. It was subtle at first but now it pretty much does it through all gears. It doesn't seem to matter if I have the clutch pressed all the way in or just cruising, it does it in all gears. In person it's not as loud as it is in the video.

I've already tried an MGW shifter but there was no change. I bought a replacement OEM shifter and boots but still no change.

I have already taken it to a transmission shop, they test drove it and said the transmission shift perfectly and they don't think it's a transmission issue. They didn't charge to test drive but they said it would cost a lot to take everything apart down there to get a look.

Feel free to reach me directly at sgarcia8028@gmail.com 909-319-5457

Get notified of new replies

To Interior rattle at 1500rpms

Quick Reply: Interior rattle at 1500rpms