Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Trans line removal (Need Help)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 08:58 PM
7007vette
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Trans line removal (Need Help)

This is on a Z06

Hello,
The transmission line which runs from the front of the trans to the radiator made contact with the header and now has a leak. I did remove the front fitting but the rear fitting is inside of the trans housing. Does anyone know how to remove it, if I just remove the retaining clip with a pick, I'm not sure I can reinstall it since there is very little access. Is there a correct tool for removing and installing the fittings? Another question, does anyone make trans lines that get routed another way, further away from the headers?
Thanks

Last edited by 7007vette; 07-12-2018 at 08:59 PM. Reason: model
Old 07-13-2018, 01:35 PM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

What brand headers are you running? If they are Kooks, there should be a supplied bracket that came with the headers that gives some clearance, but it's still tight.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:06 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Many gently bend the lines enough out of the way and/or the bracket that holds them. Not a bad Idea to wrap them in some DEI material as well.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:54 PM
The
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I used a tool similar to these...
Performance Tool W83148 6-Piece A/C and Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Tool Performance Tool W83148 6-Piece A/C and Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Tool
. I tied a thread around the tool in case I dropped it inside the case. There is a specific GM Trans Disconnect tool also.
OTC 7937 Transmission Oil Cooler Line Disconnect Tool for GM OTC 7937 Transmission Oil Cooler Line Disconnect Tool for GM
. I was going to buy it but wasn't sure it would work in the tight space. I was also too afraid to try a flat head screwdriver as I didn't want the clip falling inside. Also, here's a tip...When you install the new line, once you've wiggled the new line through the headers, connect the transmission side first and don't fasten any of the clamps until after you've done so. I searched high and low for a better solution than a hard line and couldn't find any. I even tried buying Jiffy-Tite fittings to make my own line but couldn't get anything to fit properly. Mine started leaking from an invisible hairline crack that developed where it connects to the trans. You'll be shocked when you learn how much the new line costs.

Last edited by The; 07-13-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Trans line removal (Need Help)

Quick Reply: Trans line removal (Need Help)