Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZO6 Per-purchase Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 10:53 PM
johncr
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 1 Post

Default ZO6 Per-purchase Question

Hi guys,
I'm looking to get a C-6 ZO6 and I've done quite a bit of research and I know about the heads, heads up display projector, fuel sending unit, etc... What I want is feedback on is how big of a problem is the ground clearance, specifically the driveway approach issue. I'm not too worried about the occasional scrape of the valance, but how limiting is ground clearance. I'm just worried that there are places that I won't be able to get to in a ZO6 without leaving the nose/bumper assembly in my wake.

Please let me know, I think I may have found THE car.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:00 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Have to learn to take angles when approaching steep driveways, etc. Also, the ZR1 style splitters are far more problematic that than regular splitter.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:10 PM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Also, I think you need to be concerned with parking too close to a parking lot cement stops. Better to back into parking spots, then guessing if you are too close or too far. Have my Z 9 months now and never had a scrapping problem. Just be aware of what road or driveway ahead is like.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:38 PM
johncr
Advanced

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Have to learn to take angles when approaching steep driveways, etc. Also, the ZR1 style splitters are far more problematic that than regular splitter.
Thanks, That's what I thought. The car I'm looking at doesn't have a splitter and I don't want one..
Old 07-17-2018, 11:43 PM
johncr
Advanced

Originally Posted by LV Vette

Also, I think you need to be concerned with parking too close to a parking lot cement stops. Better to back into parking spots, then guessing if you are too close or too far. Have my Z 9 months now and never had a scrapping problem. Just be aware of what road or driveway ahead is like.
Good tip about parking slots. Unfortunately, So. Cal. isn't as flat as most of Nevada. I'm just worried about driveways in hillside communities where you either park in a driveway or you go home.

Thanks for the response!!
Old 07-18-2018, 12:02 AM
JesC6Z
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
pretty much this all day.

Youre also gona have to learn your surroundings and territory. Watch curbs big time and take them wide to avoid kissing them. Heck even get down if you’re unsure. I need to find some side cameras
Old 07-18-2018, 12:24 AM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by johncr
Good tip about parking slots. Unfortunately, So. Cal. isn't as flat as most of Nevada. I'm just worried about driveways in hillside communities where you either park in a driveway or you go home.

Thanks for the response!!
I know about California roads, lived in LA for 45 years. There is a device that will let you know if you are too close to parking curbs. Also MTPZO6 stated, take turns wide as the rear is wider than you think. Got curb rash just a few weeks after I got my car. Gave me an excuse to get new wheels, as I didn’t like the ones it came with. Besides all this, you will love the Z once you get it and start driving it!
Old 07-18-2018, 09:25 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Even with OEM Z06 splitter those parking lot cement stops can do some damage, it didn't take me long to learn this the hard way. I just avoid them at all cost now since I added the ZR1 splitter. The Zr1 splitter I added is no lower then the OEM one I replaced, but it does stick out a couple of inches, again, I just avoid parking in front of cement stops, you can add the parking sensors, not sure if I would trust them. My driveway has a small incline, which is not a problem. However, my driveway has the small curb hump that will cause the front valance to scrape if I don't approach in a angle. Scraping the valance is not a big issue as you already know, but pretty embarrassing as the scrape sound does tend to be an attention getter. I also found that my valance will scrape if I don't go out of driveway nose first in an angle. Reverse, even in an angle will cause my valance to scrape. I'm at stock height and had not experienced and issue going over speed bumps. The doors are longer then the average car, so I don't recommend parking next to others as it won't allow you to swing door open to it's fullest point. The door windows curve and also make it difficult to get out when you park next the other vehicles, so I park out as far as possible. The window valet can help remedy the curve of the window entry and exit.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:41 AM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by LV Vette

Took care of that problem by installing a front camera.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:44 AM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by johncr
Thanks, That's what I thought. The car I'm looking at doesn't have a splitter and I don't want one..
What do you mean, it doesn't have a splitter? If it doesn't have the front splitter, then why are you worried about it scraping? The splitter is attached beneath the front bumper.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 Per-purchase Question

Quick Reply: ZO6 Per-purchase Question