Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C6 ZR1 E85 meth/water injection

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 11:04 AM
GndHog
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default C6 ZR1 E85 meth/water injection

anyone made the swap to E85 and/or meth/water injection to help with high IAT’s when tracking car for long periods? (30 minute plus sessions)

no other major mods made to engine, no pulley swaps, close to stock as possible CAI and coated headers.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:08 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

I run e85 but not on the track for a couple of reasons. One is I don’t need the additional power there but more so is the fuel consumption is pretty high as is on 91. On e85 I’d have to fill up while at the track. You are better off with other cooling mods to keep the iat2’s down.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:03 PM
GndHog
Instructor

Originally Posted by ss2z06
I run e85 but not on the track for a couple of reasons. One is I don’t need the additional power there but more so is the fuel consumption is pretty high as is on 91. On e85 I’d have to fill up while at the track. You are better off with other cooling mods to keep the iat2’s down.
will be trailering to the track and will bring my own fuel - so not an issue to refill all day long at the track.

if E85 with meth/water injection (say 75% water) will cool IAT’s to acceptable levels - must more cost effective and when tuned properly - free HP without going in the engine - looking for someone with before after data to see if that theory is correct.

What do your IAT runs just from the E85 to other fuel?

Last edited by GndHog; 07-15-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:17 PM
Hockyz
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I run e85 on track. The only major downside is fuel consumption - a 30 minute session is like 3/4 tank, so you had better bring a lot of fuel and have plans to refill the containers half way through the day.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:18 PM
SalsZO6
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a '10 ZR1 running e85 700whp, I'd reccomend you get your intercooler bricks welded, larger Heat Exchanger, and a larger Expansion tank.
You can get the Edelbrock HX and the Kong 1.25 gallon hidden tank goes behind the front bumper under the driver headlight. 100+ degree weather and some long highway pulls IAT2 gets up to 130 and comes back down quickly. If you want an idea of how it looks:

The following users liked this post:
Greg@KongPerformance (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Greg@KongPerformance
Supporting Vendor

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SalsZO6
I have a '10 ZR1 running e85 700whp, I'd reccomend you get your intercooler bricks welded, larger Heat Exchanger, and a larger Expansion tank.
You can get the Edelbrock HX and the Kong 1.25 gallon hidden tank goes behind the front bumper under the driver headlight. 100+ degree weather and some long highway pulls IAT2 gets up to 130 and comes back down quickly. If you want an idea of how it looks:

Thanks for sharing! Definitely one of the best bang for your buck cooling mods on a ZR1 is our expansion tank that is tucked away from engine heat, hiddent behind the front bumper. Not to mention it also makes bleeding the otherwise stock cooling system much easier with the extra bleeder line we have on the tank to make things very easy when filling the system. You can check them out here as well on our site! ---> https://kongperform.com/collections/...expansion-tank
Old 07-16-2018, 04:15 PM
Hockyz
Instructor

I would rather have high IAT on track than high oil and coolant temps. I left my heat exchange stock to avoid impeding airflow to the radiator while on track. By the end of a session when it is low 90s outside, my IATs are peaking around 165 degrees at the top of 4th gear. That seems high, but it is plenty controlled and the car doesn't care... especially on e85. That is only a 2.6 pulley, though. If you've got more pulley than that, you probably will be wanting to slow the blower down for the road course. I'm now running a smaller blower pulley on the street and 2.6 on the track.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:33 AM
GndHog
Instructor

Pulley will be stock - no going for high HP but long running, reliable power that doesn't get clipped due high IAT's when at the end of long track session - 30-45 minutes.
Stock exchanger should be large enough if one addresses the flow limitations of the stock system.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:20 PM
Hockyz
Instructor

Based on my experience with a pullied combo, I wouldn’t even think twice about flooring it all day long with stock stuff in a stock pulley other than getting the bricks reinforced for good measure.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:17 PM
GndHog
Instructor

Hockyz -

you mentioned hitting AIT2 around 165 - did you adjust ECM so timing wasn’t pulled out at 150 — or is that even adjustable?

Have an HP tuner coming so I can tweak as needed.

between CAI, longtubes, no cats and E85 - should be close to 600 RWHP, which is all I need so no 2.6 pulley or anything to be done to engine.

the water injection is fail safe to keep me from hitting over 150 deg AIT2

Last edited by GndHog; 07-20-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:28 AM
Hockyz
Instructor

It is adjustable and I do let it pull timing (although a bit later and a bit less than the stock tables)... E85 can take a lot of timing and probably not even pull any with heat, but why take the chance? The amount of power that you’re going to drop as you dump a few degrees of timing off is not going to drop your lap times appreciably unless you’re truly competitively racing and the possibility of losing a tenth matters. My lap times suffer way more from tires going away than they ever could from IAT. And those high IAT that I have seen are a but pullied, on a 30 minute session, and in 90+/high humidity.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:14 PM
GndHog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hockyz
It is adjustable and I do let it pull timing (although a bit later and a bit less than the stock tables)... E85 can take a lot of timing and probably not even pull any with heat, but why take the chance? The amount of power that you’re going to drop as you dump a few degrees of timing off is not going to drop your lap times appreciably unless you’re truly competitively racing and the possibility of losing a tenth matters. My lap times suffer way more from tires going away than they ever could from IAT. And those high IAT that I have seen are a but pullied, on a 30 minute session, and in 90+/high humidity.
are using water injection also? E85 can take a lot of heat but don’t want any power cut outs late in a race.....if water injection doesn’t prevent - then will look at larger exchanger, tanks, pumps, etc.

agree with why take risk and not shift AIT2 timing cut back point..... one ut-oh and pistons are fried.....been there done that with an LS3 stroker motor I had in my pickup many years ago.....

Last edited by GndHog; 07-21-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 ZR1 E85 meth/water injection

Quick Reply: C6 ZR1 E85 meth/water injection