Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Walbro E85 fuel pump install.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:27 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Walbro E85 fuel pump install.

I am going to tackle this job soon and I have read a lot of threads so I think that I have a good idea about how this should go, but I do have a few questions.

I do all of my under the car work using a 4 post lift and a bridge jack. Will I have enough room to pull the tank out with my car on a 4 post lift with the rear of the car jack up. I don't want to get half way through taking out the fuel tank and not be able to remove it because I don't have enough room. I guess that I can drive my car on my lift as far to the right side as I can go to get some more room.

What exactly needs to be done to the bucket. I bought the racetronix in tank wire harness so the wiring will be plug and play. I am not quite sure what needs to be done to the bottom of the bucket. I have read that some people cut away a lot of the bucket and others have just drilled holes. What should be done.

I am going to use the fuel tubes that Racetronix sells rather than the Gates submersible E85 fuel hose because I have seen it burst on BMW E85 setups. I don't know what length I need. I have read that 200mm is the correct length but I have also read that 150mm is the correct length. Any idea.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:36 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

You don't need to modify the bucket. The Walbro 267 is a drop in except for the new hose and pigtail, no siphon hose, big whoop.

It's hard to say if you would have room to work with a 4 post lift and a bridge, those will definitely make elbom room a big more tight but you should have the room.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:25 AM
NemeZ
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by lamboworld
I am going to tackle this job soon and I have read a lot of threads so I think that I have a good idea about how this should go, but I do have a few questions.

I do all of my under the car work using a 4 post lift and a bridge jack. Will I have enough room to pull the tank out with my car on a 4 post lift with the rear of the car jack up. I don't want to get half way through taking out the fuel tank and not be able to remove it because I don't have enough room. I guess that I can drive my car on my lift as far to the right side as I can go to get some more room.

What exactly needs to be done to the bucket. I bought the racetronix in tank wire harness so the wiring will be plug and play. I am not quite sure what needs to be done to the bottom of the bucket. I have read that some people cut away a lot of the bucket and others have just drilled holes. What should be done.

I am going to use the fuel tubes that Racetronix sells rather than the Gates submersible E85 fuel hose because I have seen it burst on BMW E85 setups. I don't know what length I need. I have read that 200mm is the correct length but I have also read that 150mm is the correct length. Any idea.
I did mine on jack stands, not too bad. I cut a hole in the bucket since the siphon gets deleted. Also I used 3/8 ptfe tubing. Supra guys have had issues with the gates stuff as well.
This is what I used. 3/8 x 7.1 QTY 2 http://cj-motorsports.com/products/ptfe-tube

Last edited by NemeZ; 07-21-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:32 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 687 Posts

I used jackstands as well. I did cut the bucket so the filter can protrude.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:00 PM
Ghost Knight
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I cut the bucket since syphon is removed as well as to allow filter to protrude and extend properly. This part is the same as any other car. You can do this on jackstands. It will still be very annoying for two reasons: the amount of room is super small (maybe easier if you have small hands) and there is minimal slack/give in the cross-over tube, and the minimal clearance between the tank opening and the bucket (seriously, why not make the opening 1" larger like every other car?). It isn't a hard job, just annoying. Changing the crank pulley was far less annoying to me. YMMV

Because of this, in hindsight, I should have just installed two Walbro 450s, added the barb for the fuel returned and just capped the line to future-proof it so I don't have to pull it again in the future. The Walbros are only $100, so nothing really lost. Since you're running spray and on a built motor, you could use the head room for future mods (larger shot, blower, etc.).

I used the gates hose on this, my turbo BMWs, and my current turbo Honda without issue. I suppose any part has a failure percentage.

Get notified of new replies

To Walbro E85 fuel pump install.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Walbro E85 fuel pump install.