Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Carbon Fiber Side Vents? Show them

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 12:18 PM
brooklands
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, it is genuine carbon fiber, but it's just laminated over the oem plasic parts. The Halltech parts are 100% laminated out of carbon in a special mold
Old 08-01-2018, 02:00 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Just follow up. I did send another e-mail over to Halltech this last weekend. I have not heard back from them. I'll give them a few more days and give a call.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:46 AM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm just going to chime in and say that I have used Apsis carbon parts and they are very high quality. You cannot tell a quality difference next to OEM. I can't speak specifically for the vents, but I know a lot of their parts are fiberglass with a real carbon overlay. Keep in mind that the vast majority of carbon is exactly that. Yes, the OEM ZR1 carbon pieces (splitter, side skirts) are 100% carbon but basically all of the aftermarket versions are fiberglass with the overlay, and not a factory plastic piece with the overlay.

Plenty of carbon vendors have crap products with wavy carbon, Apsis is not one of them.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:11 AM
apsisusa
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 605 Likes on 409 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I would like to chime in an opinion. For those who complain the carbon lamination over stock cores, overall the weight saving is just couple oz. For a car so powerful, how much difference can 1 or 2 oz make?

The other vendor discontinue their products got to have the reason. At least we offer another option for the customers who want to finish these vents and we know all of our customers are happy with our products.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:17 PM
scho2578
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also am looking for 100% carbon fiber brake ducts for my Z. I just found this thread but I emailed Halltech last week as well.

I am not worried about the weight savings, but more wanting a high quality "true" carbon fiber part. If I just wanted the look, based on the cost to get a overlay vs hydro... why not go with hydro?
Old 08-06-2018, 07:41 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,287 Likes on 932 Posts

Because hydro isnt carbon...lol
Old 08-07-2018, 12:53 PM
brooklands
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Did anyone got a response from Halltech?
Old 08-07-2018, 01:36 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't understand the guys in here that are against a fiberglass part with a carbon overlay. It's still real carbon. That's what you see and the weight savings is basically nonexistent for these small plastic pieces.

If you're buying the part for aesthetic purposes, there is no difference between a carbon overlay and 100% carbon part. The exterior finish is identical because both pieces are made with real carbon fiber.

The ignorance here is mind blowing.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:53 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Lol yup!

I have never understood it either...

Originally Posted by ZF Six
I don't understand the guys in here that are against a fiberglass part with a carbon overlay. It's still real carbon. That's what you see and the weight savings is basically nonexistent for these small plastic pieces.

If you're buying the part for aesthetic purposes, there is no difference between a carbon overlay and 100% carbon part. The exterior finish is identical because both pieces are made with real carbon fiber.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:55 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by brooklands
Did anyone got a response from Halltech?
No, I didn't get a response. I was going to call them last week, but I ended up with a bunch of stuff that kinda crowded the call Halltech thing out of my mind.

Kinda weird, though, as they usually respond to emails pretty quick.

Todd

Old 08-07-2018, 02:00 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Kinda harsh. Halltech has done a tremendous amount of work for our Corvette community and has always offered the highest of quality parts. If you have seen any of their Carbon Fiber products, you would understand the few of us who wish to continue to support such a great vendor.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:04 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

His comment wasn't towards vendors. It was towards people having no idea the difference between a laminated carbon piece and full carbon. Then someone threw some dip compare in there and divided by zero.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:53 PM
MMEOD85
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Have this front CF scoop coming from TIKT.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:56 PM
MMEOD85
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
Kinda harsh. Halltech has done a tremendous amount of work for our Corvette community and has always offered the highest of quality parts. If you have seen any of their Carbon Fiber products, you would understand the few of us who wish to continue to support such a great vendor.
Halltech CF is great - have their DRED hood on my 07’ Vette.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:25 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

The problem for me is the price for such a part. I could almost understand the price Apsis is charging if it was 100% carbon fiber, but I have a hard time justifying the cost of those parts when they are just stock pieces with a carbon overlay on them. If the price was more reasonable, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them just because they were not 100% CF. As long as the visible portion is real CF, I would be content.

Last edited by Frankie15; 08-09-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:51 AM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie15
The problem for me is the price for such a part. I could almost understand the price Apsis is charging if it was 100% carbon fiber, but I have a hard time justifying the cost of those parts when they are just stock pieces with a carbon overlay on them. If the price was more reasonable, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them just because they were not 100% CF. As long as the visible portion is real CF, I would be content.
Whether the entire part is carbon from a mold or it's a carbon overlay, IT IS STILL REAL CARBON FIBER. One is made by laying carbon fiber into a mold, the other is made by laying carbon fiber over an existing piece. The end result looks identical because what you are seeing is true, 100% carbon fiber.

You're basically saying you want carbon fiber but you don't want to pay for it. Solution = cheap hydro carbon.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:58 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Problem is its still the same amount of work to get the proper surface finish on the visible area - that is where the time and cost applies.

Originally Posted by Frankie15

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon Fiber Side Vents? Show them

Old 08-09-2018, 12:07 PM
apsisusa
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 605 Likes on 409 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Hi All,

Just want to give you a little info about the difficulty of lamination for these scoops.

These scoops are laminated "Inward". Although it's small item but extremely difficult to laminate carbon inward and then apply nice coating to it. Just the final polishing processing on coating takes lots of labor. It will take much more labor than to laminate "outward" on a large smooth pc. Since you can't buy the real carbon replacement parts out there, then our lamination parts are the option. Sometimes you have to look from the production view point and labor is what the cost all about.

The only difference between the carbon replacement scoops vs lamination scoops is only couple oz. Since your engine is so powerful, couple oz weight won't make any difference at all.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:25 PM
RyanT
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by apsisusa
Hi All,

Just want to give you a little info about the difficulty of lamination for these scoops.

These scoops are laminated "Inward". Although it's small item but extremely difficult to laminate carbon inward and then apply nice coating to it. Just the final polishing processing on coating takes lots of labor. It will take much more labor than to laminate "outward" on a large smooth pc. Since you can't buy the real carbon replacement parts out there, then our lamination parts are the option. Sometimes you have to look from the production view point and labor is what the cost all about.

The only difference between the carbon replacement scoops vs lamination scoops is only couple oz. Since your engine is so powerful, couple oz weight won't make any difference at all.
Just a thought but with the interest in these how about a group buy for all 5 peices with special pricing?

Last edited by RyanT; 08-09-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:33 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Whether the entire part is carbon from a mold or it's a carbon overlay, IT IS STILL REAL CARBON FIBER. One is made by laying carbon fiber into a mold, the other is made by laying carbon fiber over an existing piece. The end result looks identical because what you are seeing is true, 100% carbon fiber.

You're basically saying you want carbon fiber but you don't want to pay for it. Solution = cheap hydro carbon.
I never said it was fake carbon fiber. I was saying one part is 100% carbon fiber while the other is not. That's all.

Originally Posted by apsisusa
Hi All,

Thanks for this. The price makes more sense now due to the difficulty involved.

Last edited by Frankie15; 08-09-2018 at 02:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Side Vents? Show them