Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

I Drove My ZR1 8,000 Miles Across the Country and....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 09:50 PM
TommyDee291
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Drove My ZR1 8,000 Miles Across the Country and....

Hello all,

I'm a long time subscriber and new to posting. I've been fortunate enough to own a couple Corvettes so far in my life. My latest purchase is a 2011 ZR1 in the iconic Jetstream Blue aka Blue Devil! I bought the car with only 9800 miles and just hit 20,000 after driving it from Pittsburgh across the country and back! (If you are curious of where we went and pictures of the car - check out my instagram @tommydee291).

While the trip was awesome, my ZR1 encountered a few issues along the way and I am looking for some opinions from my fellow owners! Without going into tremendous detail, about half way through the trip my ABS and Traction Control lights came on with the following messages being displayed: "Service ABS, Service Traction Control, and Service Stability Control'. This occurred while on the interstate driving at highway speeds. I pulled over and shut the car off and turned it back on to try to clear the issue (which did not work). Subsequently, I disconnected the negative on the battery for a few minutes to reset the PCM (which did not work). I had a handheld OBDII scanner but did not detect any codes since it only scanned the powertrain computer.

I unfortunately was not able to get the car into a dealer to check it out until a few days later. In the days it took to get the car into a dealer, a check engine light came on. So once again, I got the handheld scanner out and found code P0420 which seemed to indicate that the drivers side Catalytic Converter was not performing as expected. After getting to a dealer, they also found codes C0201 and C0035. They informed me that I needed a new EBCM, a front left wheel hub assembly (since the code indicated a bad wheel speed sensor on that wheel), and a new Catalytic Converter. The service adviser assured me that the corvette tech checked all wiring to make sure nothing was pulled out, frayed, or damaged.

Unfortunately all the parts were special order and were not able to get in to fit my complex schedule as I was traveling. Thankfully the Catalytic Converter is covered by GM and can be replaced at no cost. I ended up walking out spending $140 'for diagnostics' and carefully drove back home (eventually) with no safety aids whatsoever! After doing some research on this forum, it seems some owners have had these issues come up but not both. I find it extremely strange that both the front left wheel speed sensor AND the EBCM could be the culprit.

Does it make sense that the wheel speed sensor being bad could cause erroneous readings from the EBCM? Considering at the time I had roughly 15,000 miles, I find it hard to believe that both parts could be going bad so quickly. I just ordered a BlueDriver OBDII scanner and am waiting for it to come in. In the meantime, my current thought process is as follows:

1. Check battery voltage with vehicle shut off
2. Check battery voltage with vehicle on
3. If battery voltage is low - replace battery
4. Check wiring going to front left hub assembly and EBCM
5. Replace Front Left Hub Assembly
6. Replace EBCM

Anything I could be missing?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-13-2018, 07:31 AM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

Old 09-13-2018, 08:03 AM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

As soon as I read the line about ABS, TC, and Stability Control I immediately thought about wheel speed. Those seem to be the same codes that pop up when people run the wrong OD tires. For example, an 18" rear drag setup that is much shorter than stock. The speed sensors think the rear wheels are spinning faster than they really are since the OD is different, and throws the codes.

I don't understand how they came to the conclusion that the EBCM was bad. If it were my car, I would start by replacing the speed sensor and see if that solves the problem.

Sorry about your ZR1 misfortune, hopefully you can get this solved and attempt another road trip.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:04 AM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you had some issues on such a long trip. I haven't experienced this error but I'm sure some other will chime in.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:32 AM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

Replace the hub first. Cost is around $450.00 for the hub. The sensors on these cars are so complexed it's crazy. One sensor feeds into another and so on until it reaches the EBCM. Check for recalls on the hubs because at one time they had a recall to add a ground wire to them. The hubs can cause misleading codes.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:35 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...l+hub&_sacat=0

we bought a "Detroit axle" hub for our Z 06 for about 100 dollars, no issues a year later ??? many less than 450, and my wife installed ours !!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2018, 01:58 PM
leadfart
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

After I purchased my ZR1, the dealership ran a history on it, and it had a front wheel bearing, speed sensor and EBCM replaced at 28K. This was done under a previous warranty. I have no idea if this a chronic issue, or just another Corvette Gotcha!
Old 09-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Russell Meade
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replace cat

Not sure if this helps as I have an 08 z06. I constantly got service active handling messages/alarms when I had the p420 code. I replaced the cat and haven’t had any alarms/lights etc in several thousand miles. Not sure why the cat would set off the service active handling message. I would get it at low speeds usually a minute or two after start up in my driveway or a parking lot.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:38 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

OP, sounds like an awesome road trip in your new ZR1! Sorry you ran into car troubles though.

Not to hijack the thread, but....

Originally Posted by Russell Meade
Not sure if this helps as I have an 08 z06. I constantly got service active handling messages/alarms when I had the p420 code. I replaced the cat and haven’t had any alarms/lights etc in several thousand miles. Not sure why the cat would set off the service active handling message. I would get it at low speeds usually a minute or two after start up in my driveway or a parking lot.
I cant think of any reason why AH message would pop up in correlation with the P0420 code either, but your cat most likely wasn't bad. There was an emissions TSB for '07-'08, and early build '09 C6Z's. My '09 fell under the early build VIN cutoff, and the dealer re-flashed my ECM under the emission 8/80K warranty, and the problem has been gone for several years now. The TSB does say that the battery needs to have the proper voltage during this TSB procedure, and the AH/TC lights can and do come on if the car has a weak battery. I'm wondering if they charged or replaced your battery along with replacing that cat.

#09-06-04-011A: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, DTCs P0420 and/or P0430 Set (Reprogram Engine Control Module (ECM)) - (Apr 3, 2009)

Subject: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, DTCs P0420 and/or P0430 Set (Reprogram Engine Control Module (ECM))

Models: 2007-2008 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 95112736

with 7.0L Engine - RPO LS7

Please Refer to GMVIS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the reprogramming emission controller warranty information statement and to change the labor operation. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-06-04-011 (Section 06 -- Engine Controls)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that the MIL is illuminated.

Technicians may find DTCs P0420 and/or P0430 set as current or in history.

Cause
This condition may be caused by the ECM determining that either/both of the catalytic converters are exhibiting low efficiency under certain vehicle operating conditions.

Correction
Important: DO NOT replace the catalytic converters for this condition.

A revised calibration has been released to address this condition. Follow the published SI diagnostics for DTC P0420 or P0430 and repair if necessary. If the SI diagnostics do not isolate a cause for this condition, reprogram the ECM using the Service Programming System (SPS) with the latest calibration available on TIS2WEB. Refer to the SPS procedures in SI.

When using a multiple diagnostic interface (MDI) for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

When using a Tech 2® for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

During programming, the battery voltage must be maintained within the proper range of 12-15 volts. Only use the approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent during programming.

Warranty Information
For vehicles reprogrammed under the 8 year / 80,000 mile (130,000 km) emission controller warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J6353
Reprogram ECM using SPS
0.4 hr
Old 09-14-2018, 06:32 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Mine had that at 3100 miles and the steering wheel column sensor was replaced.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:00 PM
TommyDee291
5th Gear

Thanks for all the messages guys! I just ordered a hub assembly and will look to have that replaced this week hopefully. I'm crossing my fingers that it will resolve everything. As far as my CAT issue, I'm going to work with the dealership to have it replaced under the warranty.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:23 PM
needaz06
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Z06 had the same issue and replacing the hub cleared it up.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:43 PM
TommyDee291
5th Gear

Quick update: Took the car the the dealership. They told me that one of my primary cats is definitely bad (drivers side) and GM recommended they replace the passenger side as well as it was a known issue with these cars. GM is covering both cats and all associated parts / labor which is awesome considering how expensive they are. Unfortunately they didn't have the parts in stock at the time and I also couldn't get the hub replaced at the time as the part I received was damaged from shipping. I'm taking the car in this Thursday to have everything done.

P.S. The drivers side cat is so bad that it sounds like there are a bunch of rocks or marbles in a can under the car!

Last edited by TommyDee291; 09-25-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To I Drove My ZR1 8,000 Miles Across the Country and....

Quick Reply: I Drove My ZR1 8,000 Miles Across the Country and....