Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 or Pilot Sport 4S

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 10:53 PM
Bryan91SE
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 or Pilot Sport 4S

I was wondering what your preference might be? The 4S does not have the run flat technology, but as I understand has better traction and lighter, albeit without the stiff sidewall. The PS2 doesn't appear to have the traction but will at least get me home if I happen to run over something and ruin the tire.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone's thought process in deciding between a run flat vs. non run flat tire and also anyone's opinion on these two tires. I'm trying to decide between the two.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2018, 11:11 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I currently have runflats...but I run the Bridgestone Pole Position RE050A tires that were designed specifically for the C6Z. Great tire, and I’d buy them again if the M4S don’t ever release a run flat.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:32 PM
Bryan91SE
Instructor

Thanks for the advice. How many miles do you have on the RE050A's? How would you rate the grip now versus when new? How about the predictability under full throttle acceleration?

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I currently have runflats...but I run the Bridgestone Pole Position RE050A tires that were designed specifically for the C6Z. Great tire, and I’d buy them again if the M4S don’t ever release a run flat.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:42 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I have about 7k on them, and they grip great, handle very well, and ride comfortably. Previous tires on the car were the OY GY run flats, and there’s no comparison between the two...Bridgestone over the GY’s by a mile. I did have non-run flat PS2’s on my C5Z, and from a traction standpoint, I’d say the Bridestones are every bit as good, but obviously it’s 2 different vehicles.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:39 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Curious what people have to say about the PS2 runflats. A couple generation old, I assume they are still making fresh tires

Tempted to just go to the 4S, however I do want to take the car on longer road trips and without any spare option... at least run flat can get me to the nearest town. Of course its been well over 10 years since I've had a flat.
Have been through this decision process on my 3 Series Bimmer. I moved from 17" runflats to 18" Pilot Super Sports. And now fill the trunk with a spare and jack. BMW eliminated any space to put these, grrrr. The runflats were OK actually, Continentals and handled well, firm ride to be sure and the wheel and tire combo is very heavy. The 18" PSS non runflats are phenomenal for handling and grip, and ride is smoother even with the larger wheel diameter.
My car has a set of GY on, I just bought this spring. The tires aren't too old, 2013 I think. Still grip well. But starting to crack so will want to replace in the spring. I'm guessing the PS2 is an upgrade over the GY and a no brainer decision???
thanks
Mark

Last edited by mkitt27; 09-16-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:23 AM
corvettenutz
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

ps4 . get a 12v pump and a tire plug kit. you wont be disappointed.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:14 AM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

The PS4 is the fourth generation of the Pilot Sport tire, PS2 being the second. Michelin has continued to improve their Pilot Sport tires so the PS4 is the latest and greatest. I've had PS2, Pilot Super Sport, and now PS4s on my ZR1 and the PS4 outperforms all of them by a long shot. You're correct that they aren't run flats, but I guess that's what tow trucks are for
Old 09-17-2018, 09:52 AM
alec427
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 for PS4's
Old 09-17-2018, 10:13 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a bit of history with these tires.

My front tires are 285/35/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports

My Michelin Pilot PS2 in 345/30/19 gave me the death wobble (out of round causing instability at higher speeds). This was over two different sets over the span of 8 months. I got BOTH of these sets warrantied and then I switched to ->

Michelin Pilot Super Sport in 325/30/19. When I had these on, the traction control would come on at higher speeds. I measured the tire and it turned out to be more than .6" shorter (26.1" vs 26.7") than the manufacturer specification. Again, got it warrantied within 2 months.

My current rear tire is the Michelin Pilot 4S. This is the newest tire to come out. I have measured it and it is at 26.7" which is good for my 285's up front. I have taken them to the road course, ran a decent time, and show barely any signs of wear. I recommend the 4S because they are newer technology versus the PS2 which is coming up on 15 year old tech now. They also give unparalleled performance and service life when it comes to a max performance summer tire. I also drive with them in the rain and have had no issues.

In regards to run-flats - I believe the answer to that question is best answered by the person who's asking it. I have almost 70000 miles on my '08 Z06. I took the run-flats off the second I drove the car off the lot. If you drive it to the country a bunch, away from civilization, you may want to get run flats. I personally believe the noise, weight and the reduced grip performance ruins the car. I live in a city with shitty roads and a lot of construction. My neighborhood has lots of nails sometimes from wood work. I always buy the road hazard protection replacement certificates from Discount Tires. (You have no idea how much money I have saved over the years. Probably the best investment you can make on a car.)

At the end of the day, if you have hit something hard enough to ruin your tire so bad it would need a rigid steel reinforced construction to be able to keep rolling, the car itself will probably have received enough damage to make it undrive-able anyways.

Last edited by freddyvette; 09-17-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:42 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Run flats suck! All I gotta say.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:09 PM
Bryan91SE
Instructor

After contemplating for awhile, I decided to go with the run flat. I just did not want to take that chance of having a flat tire some weekend and no way to change it or get my car off the road. I know I really wanted the 4S's, but the peace of mind in having the runflat prevailed over the performance advantages of the PS4.

I read most of the comments from the Tire Rack with folks that have the Michelin PS2 ZP's and decided to go with them. Believe it or not, I still have the stock Goodyear's on my '09 so this will be it's first tire change. Those Goodyear's sure have gotten slippery.

With regard to installation, given the fact that I am just not interested in having a tech get in my car and then take the chance of having anything damaged given how low the C6Z is, I think I'm just going to take each wheel in individually. I was thinking of using Costco's shop, as they charge $15 / tire.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:01 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bryan91SE
After contemplating for awhile, I decided to go with the run flat. I just did not want to take that chance of having a flat tire some weekend and no way to change it or get my car off the road. I know I really wanted the 4S's, but the peace of mind in having the runflat prevailed over the performance advantages of the PS4.

I read most of the comments from the Tire Rack with folks that have the Michelin PS2 ZP's and decided to go with them. Believe it or not, I still have the stock Goodyear's on my '09 so this will be it's first tire change. Those Goodyear's sure have gotten slippery.

With regard to installation, given the fact that I am just not interested in having a tech get in my car and then take the chance of having anything damaged given how low the C6Z is, I think I'm just going to take each wheel in individually. I was thinking of using Costco's shop, as they charge $15 / tire.
Why not go with a discount tire store? They will price match the tire from anywhere, and install it for free if you buy it from them. You can buy a road hazard certificate with the money you saved and save 400$ next time you get hit by a 2x4 with nails stuck in it.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:41 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

For me it was between the MSZP2? and the MPS4s to replace the OEM run flats on my Z. I think I depends on how much you drive the car and where you drive it. If you are going to go on long trips and/or drive in some flat prone areas, then I would go with run flats. I noticed a huge difference in the ride, noise and grip with the MPS4s over the old run flats. In the winter my traction was terrible with the rock hard old tires and the new MPS4 have fantastic grip. I am not breaking the tires loose like I was with the old ones. I put very few miles on my car and not long trips, so my risk of a flat is very low. You made the right choice for piece of mind.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:17 PM
jkg2101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am on my second set of ps2 run flat. I track my car often and run on street. Great tire for track. If only a street car I might get less sticky tires because they throw so much gravel. They do last a long time compared to stock goodyears I think. The run flats ride hard on the street but I'm not sure how much better a non runflat would be. The runflats saved me one day with a nail in the tire.
I would certainly not feel bad about going with these tires.

with carbotech track pads and these tires my otherwise stock 08 z06 impresses everyone at the track.

Last edited by jkg2101; 09-17-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:59 PM
camburger
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I agree completely...on my first set of these and could not be happier.
Bob
Old 09-18-2018, 01:07 PM
Premiumspeed
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I've used several sets of the PS2's on my Z06 with great results, good traction in all weather conditions and they perform very well on a road course. I just went with a full set of 4S's and have two track days on them, they have held up pretty well but a few spots on the outer edge of the front tires is coming apart due to extreme wear during road racing at COTA. The only other tire i've seen do this are the Nitto Invos, which are not a great tire.

Overall i think they are pretty much the same, i think my 4S's came apart due to abuse and heat, so i won't hold that against them. Just not a fan of buying two new front tires every 2 days of tracking the car, but that's how it goes when you are racing.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:31 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Premiumspeed
I've used several sets of the PS2's on my Z06 with great results, good traction in all weather conditions and they perform very well on a road course. I just went with a full set of 4S's and have two track days on them, they have held up pretty well but a few spots on the outer edge of the front tires is coming apart due to extreme wear during road racing at COTA. The only other tire i've seen do this are the Nitto Invos, which are not a great tire.

Overall i think they are pretty much the same, i think my 4S's came apart due to abuse and heat, so i won't hold that against them. Just not a fan of buying two new front tires every 2 days of tracking the car, but that's how it goes when you are racing.
Sorry but that just sounds like you need more camber or a stiffer shock

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 or Pilot Sport 4S

Old 09-18-2018, 10:18 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Please let us know what you think after you get the PS2's on and have a few miles on them. What are the date codes?
Old 09-19-2018, 02:53 AM
corvettenutz
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

so.... your getting your high dollar tires mounted on your high dollar wheels on your high dollar car and deciding on a installer because they do it for 15.00? Better find out what tire machine they have. I see this going bad VERY quickly.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:46 AM
Bryan91SE
Instructor

Let me know who you recommend. They are all about the same on the price.

Originally Posted by corvettenutz
so.... your getting your high dollar tires mounted on your high dollar wheels on your high dollar car and deciding on a installer because they do it for 15.00? Better find out what tire machine they have. I see this going bad VERY quickly.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 or Pilot Sport 4S