Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] DRM shocks backordered, should I try Johnny O'Connell instead?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 09:08 PM
03Zcrit
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Default DRM shocks backordered, should I try Johnny O'Connell instead?

DRM lists the shocks as backordered and I left messages for them but no response. Could be due to the fact that they are in NC with the storm. Just wondering if anyone else has been through the backorder process with DRM as previous threads on those shocks show multiple times that they are backordered as I believe DRM waits till they have enough interested parties before building them. If the wait is going to be a long time I was thinking about just going with Johnny O'Connell shocks or even considered coils but then I would have to upgrade the swaybars for the coils.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:02 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I am running the DRM's w upgraded bushings. Well worth the wait my friend. There is a reason they sell out so fast!!
Old 09-17-2018, 09:51 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Another alternative is the standard Bilstein shocks for our Corvettes. I have been pleased with mine. I got them in 2011 before I knew of the Z06 special valving from DRM.
The following users liked this post:
Cone killer (04-22-2023)
Old 09-17-2018, 12:44 PM
gmore
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

was in your shoes and pulled the trigger on stock Bilsteins via an ebay 15% coupon day.
my builds been a very slow one and maybe I missed some availability, but haven't seen the DRMs in stock for the 3+ months that I've been looking.
if you research as long as I have you'll find the DRMs are the most recent(several years) and most recommended set-up with the JOCs the goto prior.
with that said, everyone whos installed the 'stock' Bilsteins all had positive things to say as well and I'm guessing(zero experience) that they're closer to the DRMs than the JOCs.
Because of name changes over the years, theres some confusion on which Bilsteins work for the Z06( at least for me) and if you opt for them, you want the B8s part #s 24-029780 and 24-029773
The following users liked this post:
03Zcrit (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 01:27 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by gmore
Because of name changes over the years, theres some confusion on which Bilsteins work for the Z06( at least for me) and if you opt for them, you want the B8s part #s 24-029780 and 24-029773
I looked at these shocks "B8s part #s 24-029780 and 24-029773" and got this message when I went to purchase:

"Part Notes:
Fits models with Z51 suspension. Designed for use on vehicles equipped with aftermarket lowering springs."

Will these work with the stock Z06 suspension?
Old 09-17-2018, 01:55 PM
gmore
Advanced

I have yet to install but confirmed it on Bilsteins website before purchasing - couldnt hurt to double check.
Also DRMs website lists the B6s and coilovers for sale(last time I checked) but no B8s so have to assume that is what they use for their model.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:58 PM
gmore
Advanced

AAs I understand it, Z51 is same height as Z06 (please correct me if I'm wrong) so they are interchangeable. stock c6 requires some mod to use the B8s
Old 09-17-2018, 02:34 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by gmore
AAs I understand it, Z51 is same height as Z06 (please correct me if I'm wrong) so they are interchangeable. stock c6 requires some mod to use the B8s
I have another website saying it is correct for the Z06 too.

Last edited by MickVette; 09-17-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:08 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

IIRC the B8's are just a tad shorter than the OE shocks which works great for standard height Z's as well as ones that have been lowered on bolts. The DRM's might even start their life as these B8's, as the DRM's are also slightly shorter than the OE shocks. I love my DRM's, and I'd also say they're worth the wait...but yes, the B8's are probably a good compromise, and really not a tremendous "compromise" to begin with. I had off the shelf Bilstein sports on my '03 C5Z many years back, and I kicked myself for not doing it sooner...they were such an improvement over the OE shocks. I think you could even order a custom one-off set from Bilstein with DRM's valving specs, but that's going to cost way more than DRM sells them for...that's why they do group buys and order in bulk...keeps the production costs down.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:20 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
IIRC the B8's are just a tad shorter than the OE shocks which works great for standard height Z's as well as ones that have been lowered on bolts. The DRM's might even start their life as these B8's, as the DRM's are also slightly shorter than the OE shocks. I love my DRM's, and I'd also say they're worth the wait...but yes, the B8's are probably a good compromise, and really not a tremendous "compromise" to begin with. I had off the shelf Bilstein sports on my '03 C5Z many years back, and I kicked myself for not doing it sooner...they were such an improvement over the OE shocks. I think you could even order a custom one-off set from Bilstein with DRM's valving specs, but that's going to cost way more than DRM sells them for...that's why they do group buys and order in bulk...keeps the production costs down.
Great info! I don't dare go a mm lower or I will be eating the CF front splitter. It already barely scrapes the driveway and uses the plastic protector I installed to save itself. The real problem is I tried to adjust the bolts on the springs and they will not budge in either direction. I heated them up with a propane torch as hot as I dared to go but still stuck. Does anyone have any tricks to free the jacking bolts?

Last edited by MickVette; 09-17-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:29 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MickVette
Great info! I don't dare go a mm lower or I will be eating the CF front splitter. It already barely scrapes the driveway and uses the plastic protector I installed to save itself. The real problem is I tried to adjust the bolts on the springs and they will not budge in either direction. I heated them up with a propane torch as hot as I dared to go but still stuck. Does anyone have any tricks to free the jacking bolts?
Soak, soak, soak them in PB blaster overnight, and make sure the the spring is completely unloaded from the control arm.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:33 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Soak, soak, soak them in PB blaster overnight, and make sure the the spring is completely unloaded from the control arm.
I was using PB Blaster to cool the screws from getting too hot and did soak them overnight after the first attempt without the propane torch went no where. I'll try again. I guess if I screw up the leaf springs it will be coil over time. Right?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:14 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MickVette
I was using PB Blaster to cool the screws from getting too hot and did soak them overnight after the first attempt without the propane torch went no where. I'll try again. I guess if I screw up the leaf springs it will be coil over time. Right?
If all else fails, I bet you could get the bolts out with the springs off of the car...but at that point, they would be mangled and necessitate replacement.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:55 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

The stock Bilsteins appeared to lower my stock suspension car by a 1/4" or less. They do get rid of the twitchy rear end over bumps, which was the primary thing I was looking to get out of them.

Last edited by AzDave47; 09-17-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:01 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by AzDave47
The stock Bilsteins appeared to lower my stock suspension car by a 1/4" or less. They do get rid of the twitchy rear end over bunps, which was the primary thing I was looking to get out of them.
I hate that twitchy rear end feel. I'll try to crack the lowering bolts loose again so I can raise it back up to it's current height after a new shock install.

I had a Phadt Racing shocks/sway bars set up with urethane bushings in all of the A-arms (major pain in the butt to install!) on my C5 back in the day, and I miss the cornering confidence that car had.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 PM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Interesting how shocks would change ride height.
Doesn’t make sense to me.
But guess I’ll find out...I’m also on the wait list for the DRMs.
If they don’t come through by next spring (car is stored in winter anyway), I’ll get the regular Bilsteins.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 PM
03Zcrit
Burning Brakes

I'll call Bilstein and see if they have the ability to make the DRM shocks. If the price is anywhere near the cost for the Johnny O'Connell shocks it might be worth paying the extra money unless DRM has an exclusive rights only for that valving set up.

Get notified of new replies

To DRM shocks backordered, should I try Johnny O'Connell instead?

Old 09-17-2018, 06:03 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 03Zcrit
I'll call Bilstein and see if they have the ability to make the DRM shocks. If the price is anywhere near the cost for the Johnny O'Connell shocks it might be worth paying the extra money unless DRM has an exclusive rights only for that valving set up.

DRM has them produced out of their Poway (San Diego) facility. I know Randy at DRM had even mentioned that if and when these ever wore out, I could send them to Bilstein for a rebuild rebuild to the DRM specs. I want to say that Randy had mentioned that by ordering in Bulk, it saved about ~$250 per set. That was many years back though...

Last edited by MTPZ06; 09-17-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:01 PM
03Zcrit
Burning Brakes

I called Bilstein and just like I thought, DRM has the exclusive rights for that valving combination. Hopefully I can get ahold of Randy and see how long the wait is. I think he should start charging more to make the waitlist shorter and bring the wait time down. A lot of us would likely be willing to pay more for his shocks.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:29 AM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Wait for the DRM's - do it once and do it right. Bilsteins are really durable and well-regarded across the whole automotive industry whether on track, dirty or street. Can't say the same for JOC.
Also Randy's damping is great. Makes the car more stable and inspires confidence.

Only caveat is if you think coilovers may be in your future for track use or lowering. My DRM's work amazing on track but I do like the feel of a stiffer spring and no cross-talk from the leafs, so I am considering the LG GT2/G2's. When I last spoke to Randy he was unable to order his coilovers from Bilstein anymore, but if that changes, I would highly consider those too.

Quick Reply: [Z06] DRM shocks backordered, should I try Johnny O'Connell instead?