Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Z06 Engine Work Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 04:27 PM
Fabio-Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Z06 Engine Work Advice / Heads and Cam

My nieghbor just had work done to his Corvette so just for the hell of it I asked him to get me a qoute for a heads and cam job. I already have headers and full exhaust and tune. I’m not knowledgeable with engine upgrade details so I would like your opinions on the invoice I got from Jerry’s Speed Shop in Fords NJ.

Do the parts and labor seem good? Would you guys use some other brand parts? What kind of RWH numbers would you think I can see from this kinda job? Do the parts and labor price seem reasonable?

Your input would be great. Thank you.

Last edited by Fabio-Z06; 09-30-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:29 PM
Fabio-Z06
Burning Brakes

Here is the invoice

Old 09-30-2018, 06:21 PM
lbzraptor
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

That seems about right. Maybe a few dollars on the high side. Probably be around 550 or so to the rear wheels
Old 09-30-2018, 06:34 PM
black00ta
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Not bad, seems about right

Last edited by black00ta; 09-30-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:55 PM
Fabio-Z06
Burning Brakes

Would you say Lingenfelter is the way to go to get the head issue fixed?
Old 09-30-2018, 07:11 PM
grcor
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabio-Z06
What is going to be done to the intake valves? If the stems are not polished, your going to have worn out valve guides in 20,000 miles.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:24 PM
Fabio-Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by grcor
What is going to be done to the intake valves? If the stems are not polished, your going to have worn out valve guides in 20,000 miles.
i guess this is something i would have to ask but to be honest I’m not worried about 20,000 miles. Mine is a 2006 and I only have 9300 miles. Don’t think I’ll ever put 20,000 on it. Lol

Last edited by Fabio-Z06; 09-30-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:30 PM
JesC6Z
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by grcor
I agree with you Maybe even in 10k miles. I’d look into a different route where they will retumble the intakes and use hollow stainless exhaust valves
Old 09-30-2018, 07:46 PM
black00ta
Racer

There are a lot of opinions on this matter, Lingenfelter has not been the popular choice around here it seems.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:52 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

I’d want way more detail as what some of these “fix” or “new” parts are. Some don’t have any detail other than new valves or new lifters, if you trust the shop and their work a lot of these concerns might do away, but if they are selling you heads or sending yours to Ligenfilter that would be a concern for me. One did they actually do this? Hard to know if you don’t have before and after documentation and watch the install. A very wise forum member who’s been helping me told me not long ago “trust no one and verify everything yourself”. It’s paid off. I’m at the end of a rebuild and one thing I can tell you is part sourcing is easy and I’ve yet to not get a better price than anyone has originally quoted me, even places that say they are an authorized dealer and blah blah. If you trust the shops work that’s what I’d use them for. Labor. I’d source and order all your own parts, and now you have an invoice to see what your being charged and just how much cheaper you can get the parts. Some shops might not like that, but it’s 2018 and parts can be had by anyone so I don’t really think speed shops are making that much on parts mark up, it’s labor. That’s just me though maybe you don’t want to do the leg work. Other than that the total isn’t anything crazy out of the norm, it’s relatively fair for sure. Good luck man!
Old 10-01-2018, 01:51 PM
Fabio-Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 73DBG
I’d want way more detail as what some of these “fix” or “new” parts are. Some don’t have any detail other than new valves or new lifters, if you trust the shop and their work a lot of these concerns might do away, but if they are selling you heads or sending yours to Ligenfilter that would be a concern for me. One did they actually do this? Hard to know if you don’t have before and after documentation and watch the install. A very wise forum member who’s been helping me told me not long ago “trust no one and verify everything yourself”. It’s paid off. I’m at the end of a rebuild and one thing I can tell you is part sourcing is easy and I’ve yet to not get a better price than anyone has originally quoted me, even places that say they are an authorized dealer and blah blah. If you trust the shops work that’s what I’d use them for. Labor. I’d source and order all your own parts, and now you have an invoice to see what your being charged and just how much cheaper you can get the parts. Some shops might not like that, but it’s 2018 and parts can be had by anyone so I don’t really think speed shops are making that much on parts mark up, it’s labor. That’s just me though maybe you don’t want to do the leg work. Other than that the total isn’t anything crazy out of the norm, it’s relatively fair for sure. Good luck man!
If you guys were do get the heads "fixed" and a cam done what would you do differently from what my sample invoice shows? And what would you roughly expect to pay? Also does 550 to the rear wheels sound about right in addition to the heads and exhaust i already have done?

I'm not familair with the shop but my nieghbor is. (anyone here ever use them?) Don't know if i'll have anything done but with my nieghbor getting his Vett worked on, it just lit a small fire under my ***. I should probably just let the fire die out since the car is rarely driven. It'll just be wasted money. We'll see. This thread is more for discussion purposes.

Last edited by Fabio-Z06; 10-01-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:59 PM
black00ta
Racer

I’d probably pick some different heads but that is a good cam to use, if you added an MSD intake you’d probably break 600rwhp

Advanced Inductions makes some great heads for power on the stock castings.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:01 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Ported heads and BTR 3 with your LT's, stock intake manifold...should be a solid ~550 to the wheels. Pricing seems fair...no real need for the ZL1 injectors IMO.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:15 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

If you guys were do get the heads "fixed" and a cam done what would you do differently from what my sample invoice shows? And what would you roughly expect to pay? Also does 550 to the rear wheels sound about right in addition to the heads and exhaust i already have done?

I'm not familair with the shop but my nieghbor is. (anyone here ever use them?) Don't know if i'll have anything done but with my nieghbor getting his Vett worked on, it just lit a small fire under my ***. I should probably just let the fire die out since the car is rarely driven. It'll just be wasted money. We'll see. This thread is more for discussion purposes.
I can give you my personal experience and what I did, there are lots of options out there to choose from though, I can also speak to choosing shops and getting recommendations from friends/co-workers/neighbors.....

I was recommended a shop by a co-worker, not just any co-worker, in my line of work it’s way more that. Brothers in arms, teammates fellow operators, we have a stronger bond and trust factor than most co-workers and this guy happen to be my 1st Troop Chief when I was a “new guy” anyway I’ll cut to it, he advised a shop he uses and liked, I went there and have used them since I’ve owned the car. My experiences and expectations have fallen short every step of the way and once my car leaves this shop it will not being go back. I have had what I’d call an unacceptable experience as a customer with this shop and will be taking my business elsewhere. I have no problems or issues and place zero blame on my friend who recommended this shop. I think he does feel a bit responsible for recommending them and me not be pleased but I’ve assured him it’s all good. Different people have different experiences with shops and where he’s fine with them and is overall pleased I am not. Doesn’t mean this shop is bad or does bad work or shady ****, just two different people with different expectations and satisfaction levels.

This shop did tell me on my first visit to fix the heads asap and they could do it for me. After a few more trips for mods I realized them fixing my heads would basically only involve the labor because they planned on sending my heads to another shop to do the work. I didn’t like that and decided if my heads are getting sent of the work sub’d out I’d prefer to do my own research and pick a shop/company I felt comfortable with. Did a good bit of reading and searching on here and elsewhere and I ended up going with AHP, went fairly deep on extras so the price added up quick but Khole and the boys at AHP were awesome to work with and their customer service made me feel much better about parting with 5k. My advice is call some of the nationally recognized and respected LS7 shops and hash out what’s best for your intended use of the car, I would say and maybe other will agree or disagree but I’d like to get the HCI package from the same place if possible. What was awesome about Khole is, when I went over my build and goals he said they could provide everything I wanted but when it comes to cam’s some of the other well know grinders may have an even better fit for my engine. Now he assured my all his cam’s would be top notch and he fully stands by everyone, but he wasn’t going to just say AHP cam’s are what works best with their heads to make a sale. That’s was basically what set them apart from my two other choices. Good luck man, keep us posted!!!
The following users liked this post:
Fabio-Z06 (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 08:24 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I see you are in NY... Its like anything else, shop around and cost compare, Never "settle" when it comes to these cars or anything for that matter.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:16 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Give us a call we are located in de. and have a VERY proven package for cheaper than that.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:22 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

👆🏻 There you go OP, you have the owner of a nationally recognized LS shop posting on your thread to stop in!! If you don’t know about RPM, just YouTube it, these guys have a ton of builds all documented on their channel, before and after numbers and you can’t argue with the video. Plus on side note the videos are definitely entertaining as well as educational, shop shannanigans and all.🇺🇸
The following users liked this post:
Frans96ss (10-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Engine Work Advice

Quick Reply: Z06 Engine Work Advice