Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Installed the new Morimoto Headlights on my Z06 (Full details!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 12:26 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts
Default Installed the new Morimoto Headlights on my Z06 (Full details!)

Hey all,

One aspect of the C6 which I felt made the car feel a bit antiquated were the headlights. The DRL design especially is very dated. I also always thought the three projector look all next to each other was a bit much. I was also craving the look of black bezels on a non-black car. It looked far more aggressive than being body color in my personal opinion. I was on the verge of doing this along with getting new lenses from Umnitza until I discovered these new Morimoto headlights. These provide the blacked out headlight look that I was searching for, but also modernizes the front end of the C6 with a much nicer DRL combined with sequential turn signals. The LED headlight is also a Bi-LED so the low and high beams use the same LED.

I've had several people PM me about these headlights based on my avatar so I figured I would make a detailed post outlining different aspects.

First of all, I purchased these headlights from Umnitza (link at the bottom of this post). He was super attentive and patient. I asked countless questions throughout the entire process and I'm sure I was driving him crazy ! He answered all of my questions before (and after) I placed the order. Awesome guy to deal with. Now, I will discuss the install and how the headlights function.

INSTALL

I didn't install these headlights myself only because I reside in an apartment complex. Unfortunately, they don't allow any type of vehicle work on the property. A good friend of mine who is a C6 mechanic performed the install and I reached out for details. According to him, the install was a breeze. Fortunately, the bumper does NOT need to be removed (several write-ups on these forums) but it is preferable to remove it if you don't have someone to assist. It is extremely beneficial to have a second pair of hands to hold the fenders up while the other person mounts the headlights. If you have a buddy to help and know how to work a screwdriver and socket wrenches, you can install these with ease.

These headlights include all the wiring you will need. These headlights provide an option of using static or sequential turn signals. There are two connectors for this. If they're connected, it's a standard turn signal. If disconnected, it's a sequential turn signal. Lastly, there is wiring for a fuse tap which can be placed in fuse #6 in the under-hood fuse box. This allows the "L" shaped light to act as a DRL and remain on at all times.

Aiming them was also very simple. A user on these forums by the name of doomi provided me with great tips on aiming these headlights appropriately. Here is the info he shared with me:

"The height is really the aspect that matters the most. The top of the cutoff should be 25" off the ground.

And for the horizontal adjustment you need the find the center point and measure outwards. It's easiest to pull up close to the wall you will be using to aim with and put a vertical piece of tape where the emblem on your front bumper is. Measure out from there. Then back straight up 25 ft from the wall, apply tape at 25" horizontally for your vertical adjustment."

He also provided the following image to visualize:

I followed these instructions and it took me no time at all. These lights are aimed using the gold screws on the back of the headlights which can be accessed from the fender flaps. The tires do not need to be removed to access this. Simply turn the wheel towards the center of the car. The outer screw adjusts the horizontal aiming and the inner screw adjusts the vertical aiming.

FUNCTION

Here is a video I created of the lights in action:

It is difficult to see when the "L" shaped light reduces to half brightness due to the lighting, but it does occur. Here is also a brief write-up on how these lights work because there was also some confusion on this around this:

Headlights OFF & 'Auto' selected on interior light stalk with e-brake disengaged

Amber turn signals (the true DRL): ON
"L" shaped light: ON

Flick the stalk towards you (So you move the switch from 'AUTO' to the 'POWER' icon on the stalk) and release

"L" shaped light: ON
Amber turn signals (the true DRL): OFF

Headlights OFF & Turn signals applied

"L" shaped light (where turn signal is being used): ON, but reduced brightness 50%
"L" shaped light (where turn signal is NOT being used): ON, full brightness
Amber turn signals: ON (on corresponding headlight)

Headlights ON

"L" shaped light: ON, but reduced brightness 50%
Amber turn signals: OFF (regardless if you flicked the stalk)

Headlights ON & Turn signals applied

"L" shaped light: ON, but reduced brightness 50%
Amber turn signals: ON (on corresponding headlight)

Umnitza will also be providing a harness very soon that will disable the "L" shape light when the turn signals are applied which matches the functionality of more modern cars. It will also no longer require the user to "flick the stalk" in order to disable the amber turn signals. This essentially results in the "L" shaped light truly being the DRL. The included fuse tap for the "L" shaped light will NOT need to be used if you are using the harness.

IMPRESSIONS

Now, my impressions of the headlights. I am definitely pleased with these headlights. Honestly, the "L" shaped DRL light is what really sold me the most on these headlights. I don't do very much night driving so I wasn't too concerned with having better light output. The "L" shaped light is very bright and can easily be seen during the day time. Definitely makes the headlights look much more modern. The DRLs on the C6 light are absolutely awful looking in my opinion.

I also like the sequential turn signals, but I understand some might not care for this. Luckily you have the option to choose. I did a little bit of night driving the other night and was impressed with the light output. The cutoff is very crisp and sharp compared to the stock HIDs in the OEM C6 headlights.

I would say my only con to these headlights are the exterior gaskets, but it's no longer an issue on newer sets. I had to use some sealant to get a better fit as the adhesive on the top corners of the headlights was not very strong and it started separating. I am told that this issue has been resolved on the newer units though. Overall, not a huge deal to apply some additional sealant.

PURCHASE

Just thought I would provide this if anyone is interested in purchasing a set of their own. You can buy these headlights from Umnitza here:

https://www.umnitza.com/new-products...2005-2013.html

He is also a forum member (info@umnitza.com) so feel free to reach out to him for anything prior to your order. He has several other items such as replacement lenses, new Morimoto tails, and more.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have some!

​​

Last edited by Frankie15; 06-11-2021 at 03:27 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by Frankie15:
DaOtherOne (10-08-2018), ElisTwoCents (03-26-2021), info@umnitza.com (10-08-2018), Jacob (07-19-2020), Josh B. (10-08-2018), pdc001 (10-08-2018), SivaSuryaKshatriya (10-09-2018), Stavesacre21 (02-25-2020), thetastelingers (02-20-2019) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

10-10-2018, 06:31 AM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

Received 597 Likes on 407 Posts

information that folks might want to think about....I used the original OEM headlight washers...this provided additional stability when the headlight seats in the inner fender cavity where the lights mount...I did not use the studs though...I figured it this way...when I first installed my lights...I found them to be a little wobbly or not enough area on the mounting points of the lights. So I punched the stud out of the washer..redrilled the washer a little bit so they could fit over the new light mounting stud and installed them.

I used the original washers...why...because I figured that this would be setting the light with the correct height where the OEM light sat...I heard from other folks that when they installed their new lights they appeared to sit a little lower

I put the stud and the washer in a vice pointing up and pounded the stud out of the washer
Old 10-07-2018, 03:38 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Frankie's comments are spot on.
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Myers:
Frankie15 (10-07-2018), info@umnitza.com (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 12:49 AM
pdc001
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks so good on a JSB!
The following users liked this post:
Frankie15 (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 09:15 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Nice but just too much $$$, especially converted to our can $$ for a pair of non own headlights
Frankie15 (10-09-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 01:52 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 262 Posts

Great write up. on point!
Frankie15 (10-09-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 04:55 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Looks good OP!
Frankie15 (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 06:45 AM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

Got mine from Vettelights...nice lights...great write up
Frankie15 (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 08:06 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Nice but just too much $$$, especially converted to our can $$ for a pair of non own headlights
They are pricey, but it's a great look!
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by info@umnitza.com
Great write up. on point!
Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Looks good OP!
Thanks for the kind words bud!

Originally Posted by Smokeyjr
Got mine from Vettelights...nice lights...great write up
Thank you! I thought this would be helpful for anyone interested in these lights. Especially clarifying how they work and a video.

Last edited by Frankie15; 10-09-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:24 AM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

They look great but has anyone had any trouble with them? I know a number of people that has had issues.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:25 AM
ZEN357
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Looks awesome!!!! Nice Job!!!
Frankie15 (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 08:51 AM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

Yes...I have had trouble with both light seals...not sealing or lifting away from the lens
Maor Roffe (04-04-2021)
Old 10-09-2018, 08:55 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Nice write up Frankie.. Looks great!!
Frankie15 (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 09:42 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

They are very high tech and cool but just not my style.
You mentioned that the "3 lense look on the OEM headlight was too much" - now you have headlights with about 15 bulbs each. It's just a bit overwhelming for me. I like the OEM style for the clean and simple look. I love me some tech, but they're just a bit over the top for me, plus you have many more bulbs to worry about longevity now too...

Last edited by Must_Have_Z; 10-09-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Frankie15 (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by shane p
They look great but has anyone had any trouble with them? I know a number of people that has had issues.
Just a minor issue with the seals around the headlights. Needed more adhesive in the corners. I've been told that this issue is resolved on newer units.

Originally Posted by ZEN357
Looks awesome!!!! Nice Job!!!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Nice write up Frankie.. Looks great!!
Thanks man!! Appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
They are very high tech and cool but just not my style.
You mentioned that the "3 lense look on the OEM headlight was too much" - now you have headlights with about 15 bulbs each. It's just a bit overwhelming for me. I like the OEM style for the clean and simple look. I love me some tech, but they're just a bit over the top for me, plus you have many more bulbs to worry about longevity now too...
I meant the look of having three identical looking projectors all right next to each other. I do like the look of only having a single projector this time. I do realize I have way more LEDs now with the combination of the "L" shaped light and turn signals though.

I totally get that these would be too much for some people though. Thanks for your input though man!

Last edited by Frankie15; 10-09-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:31 AM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

information that folks might want to think about....I used the original OEM headlight washers...this provided additional stability when the headlight seats in the inner fender cavity where the lights mount...I did not use the studs though...I figured it this way...when I first installed my lights...I found them to be a little wobbly or not enough area on the mounting points of the lights. So I punched the stud out of the washer..redrilled the washer a little bit so they could fit over the new light mounting stud and installed them.

I used the original washers...why...because I figured that this would be setting the light with the correct height where the OEM light sat...I heard from other folks that when they installed their new lights they appeared to sit a little lower

I put the stud and the washer in a vice pointing up and pounded the stud out of the washer

Last edited by Smokeyjr; 10-10-2018 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling
The following 7 users liked this post by Smokeyjr:
71HO454 (10-11-2018), Burnteyes (04-30-2020), Frankie15 (10-10-2018), info@umnitza.com (10-10-2018), Larry Myers (10-10-2018), pdc001 (10-11-2018), thetastelingers (02-20-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-10-2018, 09:47 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokeyjr
information that folks might want to think about....I used the original OEM headlight washers...this provided additional stability when the headlight seats in the inner fender cavity where the lights mount...I did not use the studs though...I figured it this way...when I first installed my lights...I found them to be a little wobbly or not enough area on the mounting points of the lights. So I punched the stud off of the washer..redrilled the washer a little bit and installed them.

My view is if those washers are not in place you will not be able to achieve headlight to fender alignment.

I'd say Smokey has solved the problem. Intend to follow his lead.

Last edited by Larry Myers; 10-10-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Smokeyjr (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Smokeyjr
Emerging Vendor

Thanks Larry...I tried it both ways...with and without the washers...I finally said it would be better with them and adjust the beam later....also if I remember correctly I could put the washers in place without the inner fenderwell in place...it wasn't that bad of a job...

Last edited by Smokeyjr; 10-12-2018 at 07:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Installed the new Morimoto Headlights on my Z06 (Full details!)

Old 10-10-2018, 04:36 PM
Z06Qazi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

they look good . but i cant justify $1k for them
Old 10-11-2018, 07:34 AM
m.whitmell
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Selling your old headlights will help fund the new ones! I sold a spare set of yellows for $1400 last year!
The following 2 users liked this post by m.whitmell:
Frankie15 (10-11-2018), Treeguy (06-21-2020)
Old 10-11-2018, 03:37 PM
TRDNiteLife
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Good to see you got them installed. Nice write up.
Frankie15 (10-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Installed the new Morimoto Headlights on my Z06 (Full details!)