Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Engine Destroyed

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 10:20 PM
kabdog
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 73DBG

Bro I hate to see this type of ****, but coming from a guy who’s had the absolute worst service from a local shop I’m glad to here this place is going above and beyond and doing the right thing in your case! I’m sure they’ve more than likely earned a customer for life by doing this. In my case the list of all the bullshit I’ve been through with my shop is too long to even get into, last Friday was the absolute last straw and I’m pulling the car out of there incomplete and moving it to a new location. I’m not even arguing the final invoice that’s is higher than the original quote that I paid half up front and I had the engine builder do 100% of the engine assembly to include heads, cam, clutch and harmonic balancer, all that was included in the original quote I paid half upfront for. So way less work yet more money, whatever though don’t care at this point. I’m just trying to get them to cover the damage they did to the exterior of the car while they had it in their possession and I’m not sure they plan on doing that. They took possession of the car 96 hours after a two stage paint correction and 7 year ceramic coating was done, exterior was as close to flawless you can get a 12 year old black ZO6. Luckily I do have tons of date/time location stamped pictures from all angles of how they received the car and what it looks like now, **** I even brought my car cover up there and personally covered it when I realized how long the build was going to take, they removed the cover shortly after and it never went back on. I doubt they will do the right thing so hearing about a shop taking ownership and doing what’s right gives me some hope that not every out there does business like what I’ve seen. Sorry this happened man! But I’m glad to hear it’s being handled with some honor and integrity.🇺🇸
Sorry to hear that man. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and believe there’s still some good souls out there. It’s been tough. I’ve had a couple instances w this shop and was sick when my Z went down last wknd. I just try to live right and know all this material stuff is temporary anyway. Not tryin to go all religious and stuff, just had a few drinks...lol. Everything will work out like it should bro. Keep doing right and when all else fails, run that Z thru 6 gears and smile!
Old 10-17-2018, 12:01 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by kabdog

Sorry to hear that man. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and believe there’s still some good souls out there. It’s been tough. I’ve had a couple instances w this shop and was sick when my Z went down last wknd. I just try to live right and know all this material stuff is temporary anyway. Not tryin to go all religious and stuff, just had a few drinks...lol. Everything will work out like it should bro. Keep doing right and when all else fails, run that Z thru 6 gears and smile!
bro I bought my vette end of March of this year, it’s been at this awful shop since June 12th!!! I just can’t win it seems and I’m probably the definition of crazy because I kept expecting different results when the writing was on the wall, I had some real good help from this forum and did make one smart move to take the entire engine away from these clowns and turn it over to a solid engine builder to do the real work, as much as they would take on, which was the entire motor new cam the clutch/flywheel harmonic balancer basically everything besides the Intake manifold. I figured If I simplified it all the way down to the minimum and made it so all they had to do was drop the motor in and hook up hoses and wires. The moment it could leave on its own power or even drive on to a flat bed I’d pay what’s owned and be gone forever. The thought of taking a car with no motor and that’s in pieces from one shop and drop that nightmare on a new shop just seemed almost impossible logistically and a pretty shitty way to start business with a new shop, so I kept giving them chances to do the right thing and they failed at every turn. Khole and the boys at AHP only took two weeks longer to complete my heads with lots of extras and hand porting, the engine builder did all the machining and polishing measuring and re measureing honing balancing building and triple checking to perfection in 3 weeks and that includes some down time on part ording. I dropped a fully assembled engine off at this awful shop 23 days ago and it’s still not running. It took an entire business week for the completed engine to move approximately 10 ft from one side of the shop to the other side of the shop. I spent well over 30 hours of my own time up there helping running parts and overseeing the ridiculousness I finally made the decision Monday that it was over and I’m shutting it down, paying what’s left in the balance and moving on. I’d give AHP a look or minimum give Khole a call and hear him out. Good luck bro I hate to see this type of ****, but at least you have some good dudes to work with, my engine didn’t even come close to the damage that was done to yours and I’m on day 94 without a car I bought in late March!!! Not trying to one up your “corvette problems” or anything just shining some light on good business practices and shitty ones, I don’t wish what I’ve been through on anyone and I hope the best for your vette in the future, I’m sub’d keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 12:24 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

I also think it’s a good idea not to openly smash a shop or company unless it’s literally your very last option. There’s not much to gain from it and in some instances one persons experience with a shop or vendor could be completely different, some people have different expatations on services, timelines and punctuation and sometimes good companies/manufacturers have a slip up in quality control, so I respect your instinct to hold back on blasting people publicly. I don’t plan on doing that to this shop even though I probably have every right to, when my rebuild thread goes up and if I get any of the questions you got I believe I’ll tell anyone that must know a name and location to PM if they must know that badly. I’m active duty military so I heard then General Mattis drop this quote before most of the population heard it and it sunk in instantly and I live my life by it......every damn day. I just don’t see how you benefit from not keeping your cool and staying professional, as shitty as that is, it’s more than likely the best position to take when **** like this happens. Sorry to jump in your post and write a damn novel, but I can personally relate and the corvette forum is the only place you can safely bitch and complain about all your corvette problems and fine some genuine sympathy lol.

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet”🇺🇸

Gen. James Mattis (USMC)
Old 10-17-2018, 01:17 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Only downside is 4-6wk lead time. Already missin my ride!
Give us a call or shoot us an email
Hp@americanheritageperformance.com

Sometmes have these in stock and ready to ship:
https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/details/ls7-complete-engine

Old 10-17-2018, 07:37 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Call Guy over at Manley you may be surprised. Good co, good product
What kind of rpm are you turning, ever considered a solid?
Old 10-17-2018, 07:58 AM
kabdog
Advanced

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Call Guy over at Manley you may be surprised. Good co, good product
What kind of rpm are you turning, ever considered a solid?
That was the first thing my shop did because they do a lot of business with them. Sent them pictures and explained what happened. I wasn’t there during the conversation, so I don’t know exactly what was said.

“Guy” is the name of the person to speak to?
Old 10-17-2018, 07:27 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Could I please have this week’s lotto numbers? It seems you have all the answers.
Lol, awesome response
TXGS507 (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 07:38 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
Lol, awesome response
Priceless.... Gotta remember that one...
Old 10-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Solid stainless intake valve is V-E-R-Y heavy compared to its Ti counterpart. Could there have been severe valve float causing the piston head to smack the valve??
Old 10-18-2018, 09:13 AM
kabdog
Advanced

Originally Posted by Undy
Solid stainless intake valve is V-E-R-Y heavy compared to its Ti counterpart. Could there have been severe valve float causing the piston head to smack the valve??
Hard to say. At this point I just want my ride back. I have a clean slate, but I don’t want to go the crate engine route and have to address the same issues down the road.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:21 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

My thoughts exactly.. You need to have a good reason (and being cheap shouldn't be one of them) to move away from the stock Ti intakes.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 10-18-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:13 PM
HouseS2k
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Im thinking this and possibly the valve seats weren’t 100% concentric with the valve. Who knows tho.
Eli-Z06 (01-17-2023)
Old 10-28-2018, 10:09 AM
Djkernelpanic
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

​​​​​​The fracture face indicates the most likely cause of failure is bending fatigue or tensile shock load. The beach marks appear to to only travel in one direction. Bending fatigue can almost certainly be ruled out because the valve should be turning as it's in operation, and the fracture face does not indicate this. During disassembly valve lash should have been checked to rule out it being too loose.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:05 PM
brentsz06
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

Even if the shop is only doing this cause they might feel it was caused by them who cares? My hats off to them for stepping up even if they dont want to admit it. It sucks that the part failed but yours shop stepped up to help you out when then didn't have to. I think that speaks mountains. If this was my shop I was going to, I would totally continue using them.
kabdog (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:58 PM
Djkernelpanic
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by brentsz06
Even if the shop is only doing this cause they might feel it was caused by them who cares? My hats off to them for stepping up even if they dont want to admit it. It sucks that the part failed but yours shop stepped up to help you out when then didn't have to. I think that speaks mountains. If this was my shop I was going to, I would totally continue using them.
not everyone uses shops to assemble heads. It's wise to learn from failures. If valve float was causing the valve to slam (no longer following cam profile) and failed due to tensile fatigue it might not be smart to reuse all the stainless valves that didn't fail. If there are no subsurface beach marks and the valve has uninterrupted grain flow with no inclusions odds are the valve did not in fact cause this problem. More often than not a valve failure is a result. If that valve had a real defect I have no doubt the manufacturer would cover the failure.

A solid look at that valve under good lighting and magnification would reveal a metal defect. There should be no "might be caused by" . And to take that a step further we should all expect our shops and our manufacturers to stand by the products and services they are producing.

The metal doesn't lie.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:41 PM
Djkernelpanic
3rd Gear

Hard to say. At this point I just want my ride back. I have a clean slate, but I don’t want to go the crate engine route and have to address the same issues down the road.
Could you please post some better pictures? Specifically a zoomed in picture of the fracture face. 3 pictures around the outside of the valve at the fracture and around where the keeper rides. Using a magnifying glass would be even more helpful.

Is there any evidence of piston to valve contact on the cylinders that aren't destroyed? It may be subtle. What are the pistons made out of? Were the springs and valves matched to the cam profile by the valve manufacturer or was it a hodge podge mix recommended by the tuner?
Old 11-10-2018, 06:37 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Need help with a sudden ticking noise 2011 LS7

Very aware of all the questions about the value guide issue with the LS7.

I have 23,000 trouble free miles on a stock 2011 LS7. Very little valve noise at about 1,700 rpm.

Started the car today and notice a loud ticking noise and when i started to accelerate, there was a slight surge. Turned the car around and right back into garage. Does this seem like the dreaded valy guide issue? Would driving it cause a rod through the block?

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Destroyed

Old 11-11-2018, 01:15 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossofiron
Very aware of all the questions about the value guide issue with the LS7.

I have 23,000 trouble free miles on a stock 2011 LS7. Very little valve noise at about 1,700 rpm.

Started the car today and notice a loud ticking noise and when i started to accelerate, there was a slight surge. Turned the car around and right back into garage. Does this seem like the dreaded valy guide issue? Would driving it cause a rod through the block?
A "loud ticking noise" could be any of a dozen things. I would hesitate to diagnose based on that alone. Just sayin.

Last edited by froggy47; 11-11-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:54 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Could be a wiped lifter, bad cam, spun bearing or many other things. Typically ticking noise isn't a "valve" drop issue, because it just happens and boom.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:59 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Just last week talked with a buddy who had an early ls7 and he said a rocker arm came loose. Made a "noise". Pull the covers off and have a look.

Quick Reply: Engine Destroyed