Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Further Cooling System Issues With Dad's Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 05:34 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by altrdta
have the expansion tank cap pressure tested. If that fails it may be intermittent and leaking while driving to where you don't notice it anywhere on the ground
Originally Posted by whitediamond
and

as mentioned many times:

Pull the plugs.
Originally Posted by pcguy2u
and in case the reason for pulling the plugs is not obvious, compare the condition and color of each to the other. Be sure to put each on a piece of cardboard, marked with the number of the piston that it came out of (doesn't make any difference if you don't know the proper numbering, just so you know where it came from); then take photos. Armed with the photos/information, only then take it to a shop. Always good to have information on your side...
thank you!!

Old 10-24-2018, 06:15 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

If there is no visible leaks and you are loosing coolant there is a good chance of a cracked block or head. Get a compression (leak down) test done. Wish your dad all the best with this problem.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:45 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Honestly the last thing any decent shop wants is someone telling them how to do their job. If the shop isn't competent to find or fix a coolant leak or issues, you need a new shop. Not a list of things for the shop to check.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:30 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Texasthunder
If there is no visible leaks and you are loosing coolant there is a good chance of a cracked block or head. Get a compression (leak down) test done. Wish your dad all the best with this problem.
That is what I am afraid of. This setup has less than 5,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted by Unreal
Honestly the last thing any decent shop wants is someone telling them how to do their job. If the shop isn't competent to find or fix a coolant leak or issues, you need a new shop. Not a list of things for the shop to check.
Oh I totally understand that. I don't want anybody telling me how to do my job either. My dad plans to call them and ask to talk to the tech that does the work. We have been going to this shop for about 15 years or so. And if you go into the regional section and ask for a shop in this area, they are one of the ones that is usually recommended. It's about 30-45 minutes away and we don't have a lot of choices for performance shops.

What we are trying to avoid is being told again that there is no issue, when there clearly IS an issue.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:16 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Update 11-9-18

The car has been at the shop since Wednesday. They just called my dad and said the system has been pressure tested, dye run through it and they cannot find any leak.

This make NO sense. Coolant does not disappear. A car does not overheat for no reason. There is obviously something wrong internally. They said to let them know if it happens again.

I am at a loss. This is ridiculous.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:41 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Throw some walnuts in the coolant and see if it fixes it.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:22 PM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

Buy some sodium silicate (liquid glass). Old drag racers trick to plug a cracked head or block. The only thing is you have to drain all the coolant and put 100% water back in with the sodium silicate. If the leak is in a place where you can see it, it will leave a white stain. Back in the old days you could only buy it from a drug store. Man do I feel old now.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Further Cooling System Issues With Dad's Z06