Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] TSP Stg. 2.2 vs. BTR Stg. 2 vs CM Stg. 3, vs. ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 08:16 PM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default TSP Stg. 2.2 vs. BTR Stg. 2 vs CM Stg. 3, vs. ??

Yet another cam thread, a friend of mine asked what cam to put in his Z06 while he will have his valve guides addressed. He is not looking for huge numbers, has relatively few other mods, 1 7/8 " headers, Killer bee CAI, no plans for porting or milling the heads, wants to retain stock valve train except for springs, rods and retainers. He wants to keep a good drive-ability at lower rpms but don't mind a slightly lopey idle.

I did some reading and came up with the three cams in the title:

Texas Speed LS7 Stage 2.2: 234/246 .635"/.635", 112.5
Brian Tooley LS7 Stage 2: 230/246 .644"/.630" 115+4
Cam Motion LS7 Stage 3: 232/246 .630/.612" 117.5+3.5

Any comments on these three, pros and cons?

I'm a bit concerned about the .644" lift on the BTR cam, is that concern justified?

Any suggestions on other cams I should look at?

Thanks

Last edited by EVOVII_SWE; 10-27-2018 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-27-2018, 08:57 PM
SPDKLZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 188 Posts

The intake lift on the BTR 2 is a justified concern. Lower lift=smaller wipe pattern on the valve=less side to side valve deflection. The BTR 2 will make around 550whp with supporting mods. The TSP will prob have worse driveability with 15 degrees of overlap compared to 8 with the BTR. That being said, I have the BTR 2 and it drives real good with some mild surging here and there depending on gear and speed. The 117 LSA cam will drive the best and make the least power so he may regret not going bigger. I've already had another cam spec'd and may go a bit bigger at the sacrifice of some driveability. It all depends on how far away from stock manners and how much power he wants.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:53 AM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Thanks, what about the TSP 1.2, how would that compare to the Cam Motion stage 3 power wise? He is not looking for big hp numbers but rather good drive-ability and reasonable power gains, a slightly rough idle is no problem and rather a plus
Old 10-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,284 Likes on 929 Posts

Depeds on their cam lobe profile. Not sure on their ramp rates.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:06 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...am-and-tb.html

i just installed the tsp 2.2 cam last month and havent looked back, dives better, acts better and still makes GREAT power
all the specs from what was in before this are in the thread link i posted

DO NOT OVER CAM the car.....you WILL regret it
The following users liked this post:
EVOVII_SWE (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 01:18 PM
cseaman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I had excellent results on my BTR2 car. I put 23k miles on it in 12 months...so it was very, very drivable. 550whp on 91octane w/ 2" Kooks headers, Corsa CAI, fixed but unported heads. I would not hesitate to do that cam again.
EVOVII_SWE (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 01:42 PM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Originally Posted by ~STOLEN~
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...am-and-tb.html

i just installed the tsp 2.2 cam last month and havent looked back, dives better, acts better and still makes GREAT power
all the specs from what was in before this are in the thread link i posted

DO NOT OVER CAM the car.....you WILL regret it
Originally Posted by cseaman
I had excellent results on my BTR2 car. I put 23k miles on it in 12 months...so it was very, very drivable. 550whp on 91octane w/ 2" Kooks headers, Corsa CAI, fixed but unported heads. I would not hesitate to do that cam again.
Thanks for the input, I had the GMPP Stg. 3 in my LS7 with 40 degrees overlap so I know a thing or two about over caming

No, this is really aimed at the other side of the spectrum, really good street manners and drive-ability. It's only that it's hard to judge without first hand experience. Also, I would tolerate more bad behavior than my friend so a bit worried that I'll suggest something he will not be happy with. Still this is not a daily driver in any way so I'm sure he would be fine with something that is considered relatively small in the Z06 world like the cams we are discussing now.

I've heard a lot of good things about the BTR cams, just a tiny bit worried about the lift as I mentioned.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:46 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

and not to sound like a broken record, but the tuner will play a HUGE roll in how the car acts after installing a cam, no matter what the specs are
Old 10-29-2018, 03:39 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

The main decision that you need to make for yourself is what lobe profiles do you want to go with and then essentially you can decide what you want your duration and LSA to be. TSP and Cam Motion have proprietary, LS friendly lobes, in essentially two different lobe profiles with two different sets of lifts to choose from. Both are designed particularly for LS engines and will be friendly on your valvetrain (huge plus on the LS7) while still providing power. While these lobe profiles are not able to be adjusted, you can choose nearly whichever duration and LSA that you want, (within reason of course.) Personally for me, TSP's LS friendly lobes on .635"/.635" lobes fit what I was looking for in my build goals and kept lifts at a happy medium.

You just don't need a big donkey d¡ck cam to make power, at least in these LS7's. While that lopey idle may sound good at the strip, you're going to turn off potential buyers some day; (there are a variety of reasons stemming from it can get annoying after awhile to giving the impression that your motor was rode hard and put up wet,) and that just lowers the value of your investment you put into the build as well as the car overall. Keeping it sounding stock will only retain all of those folks otherwise in the market someday. Don't go over 5° overlap and find a competent tuner and you should be fine.

You can pick a shelf spec cam that probably had some R&D on it, you can do your own research, or you can pay a consultant to help pick a specific cam to meet your own specific goals. Pat Guerra will help spec a cam for your goals and you won't find a better guy to tune your new cam, either. Katech has proven LS7 Torquer cams as does AHP as well who I believe is having Iskendarian Cams grind their own proprietary cams.

Here is a great recent article on refreshing an well worn out Katech LS7. Interesting as the article does not specifically say whether or not if that motor had a torquer camshaft, Ti/Mo valves, and what valve springs. I'd like to think the answer was no but it was admittedly, it was not driven gingerly.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...-worth-661-hp/
EVOVII_SWE (10-30-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 10:29 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
Thanks for the input, I had the GMPP Stg. 3 in my LS7 with 40 degrees overlap so I know a thing or two about over caming

No, this is really aimed at the other side of the spectrum, really good street manners and drive-ability. It's only that it's hard to judge without first hand experience. Also, I would tolerate more bad behavior than my friend so a bit worried that I'll suggest something he will not be happy with. Still this is not a daily driver in any way so I'm sure he would be fine with something that is considered relatively small in the Z06 world like the cams we are discussing now.

I've heard a lot of good things about the BTR cams, just a tiny bit worried about the lift as I mentioned.
You sure you're asking for a friend? Just kidding...I remember your thread.

Why not Cam Motion Stage 2?
Old 10-30-2018, 05:10 AM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
You sure you're asking for a friend? Just kidding...I remember your thread.

Why not Cam Motion Stage 2?
Haha, yeah I actually do

I have actually swapped the stock cam back in my LS7 and it is currently sitting on the engine stand in the garage waiting for my new MX-5 project. I'll probably go down the same route as my friend once the car is finished and registered finding a much smaller cam that drives nice and could pass an emission test

CM Stg. 2 might be a very good choice, as I said, it's really tricky to know how big is just right, I would not like to feel, I should have gone bigger. But this is probably more of an issue for me than for my friend, I think that more or less whatever I get it will drive a lot better than the GMPP Stg.3
Old 10-30-2018, 06:57 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Gmpp stg 3 lol wow.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:47 AM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Gmpp stg 3 lol wow.
Yeah, that is one nasty cam, does not like to be below 2000 rpm.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:50 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Im sure pulls hard after 4k though 😃
Old 10-31-2018, 09:57 AM
EVOVII_SWE
Instructor

It sure did, it only had 2200 lbs of car to move also. I never hit the rev limiter before since there were no use to go the last 500 rpm or so since power tapered off. But after the cam and tune it just flew up over 7k and bam into the limiter in the lower gears
Old 10-31-2018, 10:57 AM
Jaybird29
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Check with Mark (Too Fast) as he went with TSP 1.2 and is very happy with it, even outrunning Z06's with larger cam's in half mile events, etc. I would recommend porting/milling heads. That's cheap HP and will help even when going with a "smaller" camshaft.

Last edited by Jaybird29; 10-31-2018 at 11:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jaybird29:
EVOVII_SWE (10-31-2018), REDZED2 (02-10-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To TSP Stg. 2.2 vs. BTR Stg. 2 vs CM Stg. 3, vs. ??

Quick Reply: [Z06] TSP Stg. 2.2 vs. BTR Stg. 2 vs CM Stg. 3, vs. ??