Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Oil Change Place Blew up my LS7

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 04:54 AM
joshz06
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Update?
Old 12-04-2018, 12:00 PM
Aggiecatcher
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joshz06
Update?
Weird, I posted an update last Friday...anyway. I finally got my car back on Friday. Thursday night they called me to come watch the initial startup. It fired right up, and at first I thought they had already done it, but then the white smoke from the residual oil in the exhaust started pouring out of the tailpipe. Everything seems great, although I'm hearing a clunking sound at very low speed turns. Might have to have them look it over...it didn't do that before. Great having it back though!
Old 12-04-2018, 12:09 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Aggiecatcher
Weird, I posted an update last Friday...anyway. I finally got my car back on Friday. Thursday night they called me to come watch the initial startup. It fired right up, and at first I thought they had already done it, but then the white smoke from the residual oil in the exhaust started pouring out of the tailpipe. Everything seems great, although I'm hearing a clunking sound at very low speed turns. Might have to have them look it over...it didn't do that before. Great having it back though!
Turn the car around now and go back to the dealer.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:46 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06Silverbullet
Turn the car around now and go back to the dealer.
agree. So far a good outcome for the op. Lemonade from the sour lemon he was dealt.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Aggiecatcher
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

agree. So far a good outcome for the op. Lemonade from the sour lemon he was dealt.
Heading there tomorrow...hopefully its a one day deal.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:06 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Is the noise coming from the engine? Are you sure the clunking isn't coming from the tires? This time of year with colder temps, when you make a slow turn the wide tires will skid and make a clunking noise.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:10 PM
Aggiecatcher
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
Is the noise coming from the engine? Are you sure the clunking isn't coming from the tires? This time of year with colder temps, when you make a slow turn the wide tires will skid and make a clunking noise.
It's not the engine...I thought it might be the tires, I've read that before, but it seems like I can feel it in the steering. They took the front end off when they put in the new motor, and I'm just worried something isn't right.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:14 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

It's not the engine...I thought it might be the tires, I've read that before, but it seems like I can feel it in the steering. They took the front end off when they put in the new motor, and I'm just worried something isn't right.
Pretty sure it is normal but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have them check it out. The wide tires will skip on slow turns, and the colder the temp the more pronounced it gets.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:15 PM
Aggiecatcher
Intermediate

Its in the shop...just making sure it's not a problem when they reinstalled the frond end. I had the tire skip before, but this feels mechanical.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:05 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by BigVette427
Just did this on my Z06 this past weekend; even without a lift it's not that hard. The hardest part is getting your Z06 lifted and level. The C7 Z51, Z06, and ZR1's all have dry sumps as well, as the procedure is the same. I knew the dry sump procedure but I couldn't speak to the "why" behind having to check when warm and all, so I looked it up and can now speak to this. I'm sharing this for others. As mentioned above, you don't have to change your own oil, just now how it is done, and preferably, why it is done this way.

http://www.101corvetteprojects.com/h...e-z06-and-zr1/

These vehicles have a racetrack-ready dry sump engine lubrication system. This high-performance system operates differently than a standard engine lubrication system and requires a special procedure when checking the engine oil level. Follow this procedure closely.

The engine oil level must be checked when the engine is warm. Cold oil level in the dry sump tank may not indicate the actual amount of oil in the system.

With this system, engine oil is contained in an external tank, separate from the engine. Under normal operating conditions, the oil pan under the engine does not store any oil. If the vehicle has been parked for an extended period without the engine being started, some oil will seep back into the oil pan, reducing the amount of oil held in the dry sump tank and there could be no engine oil at all showing on the dipstick. This is normal since the dipstick is designed to read the engine oil level only after the engine has run long enough to reach normal operating temperature.

Do not add engine oil based on cold engine dipstick readings. The engine oil level on the dipstick will also be inaccurate if checked while the engine is running.

1. To obtain an accurate engine oil level reading, warm up the engine to at least 80°C (175°F). Cold oil will not give a correct oil level reading.

2. Once the engine is warm, turn off the engine. Checking the oil while the engine is running will result in an incorrect oil level reading.

3. Check the oil level between five and 10 minutes after the engine is shut down.

4. Remove the dipstick from the external engine oil tank and clean it with a lint-free paper towel or a cloth. Re-insert the dipstick into the externa oil tank, pushing it all the way in until it stops.

5. Remove the dipstick from the oil tank and read the level on the cross-hatched area. If the oil is below the cross-hatched area at the tip of the dipstick, add 1 L (1 qt) of the recommended oil through the oil fill cap opening in the oil tank and then recheck the level.
Yep, just like on my Harley Softail. Check oil in the tank when warm and level.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:02 PM
Aggiecatcher
Intermediate

It was a front cradle nut that was supposed to be tighter...it's freaking perfect now (fingers crossed)...damn I love this car.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:55 PM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Ahhh! Good call. Glad you’re back in action
Old 12-05-2018, 07:56 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 263 Posts

Good thing you went back.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:27 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

Glad to hear it was real and fixable, I hate ghost problems and I never stop thinking about them
Old 12-10-2018, 09:03 PM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale1990
Maybe he tried filling it through the cap on the valve cover rather than through the cap on the dry-sump tank? Many an LS7 has been lost that way. It's good to see that he owned up to it and is handling it, though.
This is exactly what happened. It hydrolocked the motor from the bottom side and initially had zero oil on the bearings.

Originally Posted by mittens
at least he owned up to it, and is not trying to rebuild him selt and bla bla bla. nope here let me fix it from the factory. so stand up guy on that part. mistakes can happen its how you handle them in life that counts.
It would be kind of hard to hide that. But yah at least he owned up to his mistake and is taking care of it.

I had my oil changed at a local chevrolet dealership, and was talking to the service manager. I asked him if his tech knows what he is doing, and if he knows about the dry sump cars. He said yes, they have a guy specifically trained to work on corvettes only, and that was the tech that was to change my oil. I got the car back, and in the parking lot, i pulled the passenger coil cover and magically there were plier marks on the valve cover plug. I went back inside and pulled the service manager out to show him. He apologized and offered a free oil change. I couldnt hold it in. I busted out laughing and said "you think I'm gunna let yall work on my car ever again? You are out of your freaking mind."

Now OP If you had your heads repaired already, to save you money I would use the repaired heads. Thats unless they will pay to have the new ones repaired.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:01 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Okay, so i'll pose the question on everybody else's mind...
Will you take the car back to that shop for oil changes?

Happy for you buddy.... Glad things worked out.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:06 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

What a great ending to a bad day, as I get older I realize we all due dumb things occassionally, they made it right for you, kudo's to them and you for hanging in there. Nice early Christmas present!

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Change Place Blew up my LS7

Old 12-11-2018, 11:59 AM
Aggiecatcher
Intermediate

Originally Posted by psp6158
What a great ending to a bad day, as I get older I realize we all due dumb things occassionally, they made it right for you, kudo's to them and you for hanging in there. Nice early Christmas present!
Honestly, I'm happy with the outcome, but it didn't come without a lot of stress. After the initial 2 weeks of BSing me about stuff, they stepped up, and then it was 2 weeks of waiting for parts etc. In the end, my car is better than before, so I can't complain about that. I feel bad for the guy that messed up, but he'll never see any of my cars again. I have a newly installed crate motor, 3/100K warranty, and after it finally burned off the excess oil from the exhaust, it's perfect. Didn't do any mods (i.e. heads) as it would void the warranty (ironic right).
Old 12-11-2018, 09:29 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Wow, absolute best outcome you could imagine from this whole ordeal! Glad to hear she's up and running. Now it's time to either (A) do your own oil changes or (B) become "that guy" EVERY time you go to have your oil changed anywhere...even dealerships. I'd reiterate not to take it lightly, but somehow, I have a feeling you won't.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:56 AM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Maybe I missed it but don’t the heads on your new engine have to be addressed?

Quick Reply: Oil Change Place Blew up my LS7