Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] pick one: LT headers OR cat back

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 10:30 AM
ambitin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default pick one: LT headers OR cat back

Hi,

I'm preparing to do a round of maintenance and mods on my daily driver 2008 Z06 this fall. I already have ported/polished headers with an upgraded valve train but no other mods besides a wild to mild switch which is always in "wild" mode.

I'm budgeting to pay for either a catback exhaust or LT headers with high flow cats. I want to get a great sound from my car but I'm not sure which will get me what I want. If I do the LT headers w/ high flow cats through the factory exhaust in wild mode am I going to get a decent sound bump? The car is a daily driver but I like to make some noise.

Either way, I'm probably going to add a cold air intake and possibly a throttle body (I'll defer to Frank's Vettes in Houston for recommendations on what to do there). If I do the LT headers, I will be having Frank's Vettes do a full dyno tune.

Can I get an awesome sound through the factory exhaust with LT headers or do I need to forget about that and change out the cat-back?

Thanks for your inputs!
Old 11-02-2018, 11:14 AM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I put LT’s w/catted X and muffler mod w/o the packing and love it. at WOT the 427 sounds awesome
The following users liked this post:
ambitin (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 11:23 AM
ambitin
Drifting

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the "muffler mod w/o the packing"? It sounds like this is something that can be done to the factory mufflers to enhance the sound?
Old 11-02-2018, 11:30 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

You simply don't need LT headers to make power in these cars. Do a catless x-pipe, get an Airaid, and drive down to Victora and have PatG do your tune. LT's add headaches and heat, and diminish resale value.

Last edited by BigVette427; 11-02-2018 at 11:30 AM.
ambitin (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 11:48 AM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

there are fiberglass “pillows” inside the muffler cans that quiet the sound. the butterfly side of the “cans” have a perforated pipe that you need to wrap w/sheetmetal to gain the loudness that’s desired. I used 3 stainless worm clamps to secure the sheetmetal instead of welding it. And spend the extra $$ and get ceramic coated headers, you’ll be fine on a heat issue. hope this helps....
Old 11-02-2018, 11:49 AM
ambitin
Drifting

So you're saying I don't need LT headers or a catback; I can just add a catless x-pipe with new intake and I'll get much better sound through the stock cat-back?
Old 11-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

NOT a big fan of making noise... I'd rather not draw attention to my misdeeds.
I was running LG headers (until CA smog inspection!) and factory 'unmodded' mufflers. Lightly ported heads and intake man, modest cam, stock compression. Sweet, crisp sound at WOT, not loud, and stock sounding at other times.
Not going to engage in the HP debate between long tube headers vs. catback exhaust, as I have no data... but unlike an aftermarket exhaust, I suspect the headers might actually benefit HP.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:02 PM
cseaman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Loved my 2" headers w/ catless X into the stock axleback with M2W switch...but they didn't add power to my existing mild cam and CAI setup. If you're doing a mild build, you probably don't need LTs. Power comes from a cam and tune. I would never get rid of the stock axleback unless it was to go to another system that allows you the flexibility of valve opening and closing.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:19 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

1. Don't go to Frank's Vettes. Run, don't walk, to another shop. Get it tuned by someone who's got a better reputation. My recommendation is Pat Guerra in Victoria. A cold air intake might give you a few HP, but a throttlebody is not needed without a bigger cam.
  2. I wouldn't do the long tube headers unless you had a cam, and it seems like you're staying stock. So I'd go with some Corsa Sport catbacks. I had them and they sound great. The other benefit is that you won't have as much in-cabin noise.
  3. Gutted stock mufflers with the valves are a really good compromise and are cheaper than the Corsa option.
  4. The suggestion for a catless midpipe is also a good option. However, if you would still like to meet emissions and not have to "ghost" your way through the inspection process (which is easy enough in Texas), you're probably better off getting a ZR1 midpipe. This version has an "X" crossover instead of an "H" and makes better power.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:41 PM
ambitin
Drifting

Originally Posted by freddyvette
  1. Don't go to Frank's Vettes. Run, don't walk, to another shop. Get it tuned by someone who's got a better reputation. My recommendation is Pat Guerra in Victoria. A cold air intake might give you a few HP, but a throttlebody is not needed without a bigger cam.
  2. I wouldn't do the long tube headers unless you had a cam, and it seems like you're staying stock. So I'd go with some Corsa Sport catbacks. I had them and they sound great. The other benefit is that you won't have as much in-cabin noise.
  3. Gutted stock mufflers with the valves are a really good compromise and are cheaper than the Corsa option.
  4. The suggestion for a catless midpipe is also a good option. However, if you would still like to meet emissions and not have to "ghost" your way through the inspection process (which is easy enough in Texas), you're probably better off getting a ZR1 midpipe. This version has an "X" crossover instead of an "H" and makes better power.
Thanks for the tips. Definitely not doing the cam because I will need to sell it in 3 years and having sold a cammed up car before, it leads to too many questions/concerns from buyers. I am considering doing the catless midpipe because I am getting the sense that I won't get much benefit from the LT headers.

I've had nothing but good luck with Frank's Vettes. Same with everyone I know that goes there. That said, I'm not looking to go crazy on the mods so it's kind of a low-stakes game in that sense. One thing I know is that once you pick a shop, you're stuck with them because anyone else will just criticize their work and point fingers at it until you let them "fix" it.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:57 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

B&B Fusions...love the sound of mine, and still functions like stock with the bi-mode valves. I also added an X-pipe to replace my OE H-pipe, and I retained my OE Manifolds/cats. I installed the "old school M2W" switch on the dead pedal to open/close when I feel like it.
ambitin (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 07:30 AM
SPDKLZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by cseaman
Loved my 2" headers w/ catless X into the stock axleback with M2W switch...but they didn't add power to my existing mild cam and CAI setup.
You added 2" headers and didn't see a power increase?? That surprises me. I know the BTR Stage 2 cam isn't considered large but with 8 degrees of overlap and .644 intake lift I don't know if I would call it mild...Also, to the OP, I think when going to LT's the oil needs to be completely drained prior to removing the passenger header. Labor is much cheaper to add cat-back instead of headers if not doing the work yourself.

Last edited by SPDKLZ1; 11-03-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:42 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SPDKLZ1
You added 2" headers and didn't see a power increase?? That surprises me. I know the BTR Stage 2 cam isn't considered large but with 8 degrees of overlap and .644 intake lift I don't know if I would call it mild...Also, to the OP, I think when going to LT's the oil needs to be completely drained prior to removing the passenger header. Labor is much cheaper to add cat-back instead of headers if not doing the work yourself.
draining the oil is not necessary. Lowering the front cradle is necessary for headers is necessary, as is lowering the rear cradle for removing the mufflers.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:15 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

I vote headers...but in Commiefornia ANY modification to the exhaust is illegal.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:21 AM
Sean_C
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Headers will give u sound AND power for near the same price as an exhaust, depending which brand u go with.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
I vote headers...but in Commiefornia ANY modification to the exhaust is illegal.
Actually, anything downstream of the cats is OK here in the DPRK.
Still choose the headers... my smog is due in Dec, then they're going back on!
Old 11-03-2018, 05:24 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Actually, anything downstream of the cats is OK here in the DPRK.
Still choose the headers... my smog is due in Dec, then they're going back on!
Actually bro...not true.You could be pulled over and be sited with a misdemeanor for ANY equipment installed that's not OEM. Art 2 - 27151 is especially a nut crusher because it's then on the operator to prove it's not exceeding 95 db.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&divi sion=12.&title=&part=&chapter=5.&article =2.

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 11-03-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:44 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

I'd say LT headers.. Contact us for pricing!

-Josh
iw172 (11-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To pick one: LT headers OR cat back

Quick Reply: [Z06] pick one: LT headers OR cat back