Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Anyone running this cam LS7

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 04:52 PM
Zo6chip
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
I've known 2 cars that have run that cam, both drove great! And I got to drive one half-way across the country. The tune is everything. That cam makes GREAT power and had perfectly normal street manners when tuned correctly. The car I drove made 545 rwhp with stock heads and intake. Pulled hard and was a blast to drive. I never experienced "bucking" unless you chugged it down to like 600 rpm on purpose. But normal driving was great. I personally think it's the tune. But it's your call because it's your car. Good luck with your decision.
Are you sure it was this cam. Texas speed changed this cam to 3.2 and I’ve heard it has good drivability. The guy I bought the car from was in Ohio and he had it tuned twice and he told me this was good now. He couldn’t drive in six gear without bucking. I had my tuner try to get it better but honestly I can’t tell any different. I sent the cam card to two other LS tuners and one said he didn’t think he could get it out because of the cam specs and the other wanted to try but didn’t know either. At 500 to 700 bucks a try it gets expensive. If I was told yes I know this cam and I can do it I would jump all over it. The cam runs good it’s just a pain in the butt to drive. I don’t drive the car much because of the poor drivability. The BTR 2 has great results. Believe me I don’t want to pay someone to replace the cam. But I also want to enjoy my corvette
Old 12-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

The specs are identical to the old LS7S cam (it even says LS7Stg3 in the description) which was their 3rd most aggressive behind the LS7R, hence likely the "Stage 3" moniker. Whether the cam lobes are different or what specific changes were made to switch it to the "Stg 3" are only known by TSP. But on that cam card, it's identical. It is a fairly aggressive cam, no doubt, but as I said before the only time the car would "buck" is when I intentionally made it happen to see how low I could go, which was in the 600 rpm range. Like everything performance, there are trade-offs. If there is no bucking or surging below 1K RPM currently, I think your tuner did a decent job. People have to remember, changing to a big cam will also require an adjustment to driving style. You can't just lug around a cammed car like a stock one. You should shift your cruising RPM's a bit higher to compensate (unless there is no lugging...in which case nobody would be posting about it) or change rear gear to keep it higher in the RPM band. This is not a new phenomenon...it's been this way for a very long time. At freeway speed in 6th gear though, it should cruise nicely, if it doesn't...get a better tuner.

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 12-10-2018 at 06:31 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 12-10-2018, 07:44 PM
Zo6chip
Advanced

It does cruse very nicely in 5 th and over 80 in 6th. Try to drive at 35 around town is a challenge. 1st and 2nd it surges up until 2500 rpms. I have learned to accelerate and take it out of gear and let it coast as much as possible. I drove a c6 z with a BRT stage 3 cam it drove like stock. My tuner said the 3 should drive good but if you want a stock driving car go with the 2. I don’t race or do track days so I don’t care about mega HP. Just like a good chop
Old 12-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Well compare the specs man. The BTR 3 and the LS7S aren't too far apart in specs. So if the tuner can't dial in an LS7S, than a BTR 3 won't be any easier. The BTR 2 is a slightly smaller cam. But still has a decent gap over stock LS7 specs. Inevitably, your call Sir. But I recommend a different driving style first. Far cheaper. But honestly after reading your last post, there should be ZERO surging at any RPM EVER regardless of RPM. That to me sounds like you need a new tune from a more reputable tuner. (Of course, you never mentioned who your tuner was/is.)

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 12-10-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:01 PM
tdeweese
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MickVette
Sorry to veer from the thread content a bit....
What are your 1/2 mile speeds? Do you have 1/4 mile et and mph numbers? I have spent a lot of time researching camshafts looking for a good all around performer and noticed the specs I am leaning toward are close to the ones you posted.
I have only about (6) 1/4 miles passes on this setup and my 60' was a terrible 1.9 which yielded a 10.90 at 130 mph. I came in second place in the Normally Aspirated class in the 1/2 mile last year and had the fastest corvette in that class as well at 158 mph keep in mind it was 95 degrees that day and had a strong head wind so 158 was a good mph that day; I was able to beat a couple modified Vipers. I will be running the road course Watkins Glenn in the spring with a Forum member Mordeth as my ride along coach so I would not want much more cam; as it drives on the highway great; but again my tuner spent a lot of time with this car to get it dialed in. If I was only doing 1/4 and 1/2 mile racing I would go a little bigger like 244/258 on a 112+2 or 114+2; however a cam that size may have a little surging as my 243/259 cam did. Need anything else feel free to PM me.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:57 PM
Zo6chip
Advanced

Well compare the specs man. The BTR 3 and the LS7S aren't too far apart in specs. So if the tuner can't dial in an LS7S, than a BTR 3 won't be any easier. The BTR 2 is a slightly smaller cam. But still has a decent gap over stock LS7 specs. Inevitably, your call Sir. But I recommend a different driving style first. Far cheaper. But honestly after reading your last post, there should be ZERO surging at any RPM EVER regardless of RPM. That to me sounds like you need a new tune from a more reputable tuner. (Of course, you never mentioned who your tuner was/is.)
dont know how much effect this would have on the tune but I found the rubber boot between the throttle body and the intake was pinched allowing air to enter. Also the mass air was loose and rattling around. I fixed both and was hoping it would drive better. No luck. I asked my tuner if this would cause the tune to need redoing and he didn’t this so. I also read the factory computer would make corrections for the reduced air but it would take a long time. Any ideas
Old 12-25-2018, 10:51 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

This is a tough call man. I don't like advising people on courses of action that involve spending more money, but it sounds like you've gone through your car enough to find all the small gotchas that could affect drive-ability and none of it has worked. Ironically, if the car was tuned when those issues were present, then correcting the issues could cause issues by themselves. Best thing I can advise is grab a handheld (SCT or similar) and do some data logging. Work with a REPUTABLE tuner to figure out the numbers (Fuel trims, etc) to get your combo sorted. Hopefully, that finds the issue and then the tuner can fix it...or at least uncover the real issue with the hard parts. (EDIT: What I can reiterate to you is that both of the cars I drove with that cam, drove like stock unless you lugged them on purpose.)

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 12-25-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:25 PM
Zo6chip
Advanced

This is a tough call man. I don't like advising people on courses of action that involve spending more money, but it sounds like you've gone through your car enough to find all the small gotchas that could affect drive-ability and none of it has worked. Ironically, if the car was tuned when those issues were present, then correcting the issues could cause issues by themselves. Best thing I can advise is grab a handheld (SCT or similar) and do some data logging. Work with a REPUTABLE tuner to figure out the numbers (Fuel trims, etc) to get your combo sorted. Hopefully, that finds the issue and then the tuner can fix it...or at least uncover the real issue with the hard parts. (EDIT: What I can reiterate to you is that both of the cars I drove with that cam, drove like stock unless you lugged them on purpose.)
im working a tuner that’s willing to see if he can get the surging better. After Looking at the cam card he said this cam will surg up until 1800 rpms. I’m surging at 2500 now so if he can get it down to 1800 I think I can live with it. Keeping my fingers crossed
Old 01-02-2019, 10:37 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Check PMs, also...if you can't get the cam dialed in and want to switch, I'll buy it off you real quick.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:14 AM
Big418stroker
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Was this resolved?? Just was reading and curious

Quick Reply: Anyone running this cam LS7